Which Rodrigo piece is easier to play?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
rrobbins

Which Rodrigo piece is easier to play?

Post by rrobbins » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:03 pm

In your opinion, is En Los Trigales (Por los campos de España No. 1) or Passacaglia (From Tres piezas españolas) easier to play? At one time, I had En Los Trigales in my repertoire, but that was many years ago. I enjoy Rodrigo's work, and I heard Passacaglia while driving my car a little while ago. The intro grabbed my attention. I would really like to play Invocation and Dance, but I am definitely not ready for it. :cry:

ramsnake

Re: Which Rodrigo piece is easier to play?

Post by ramsnake » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:31 am

Well, I have had a little look through En Los Trigales and I have watched Michael Partington play the Passacaglia as I could not get my hands on the dots. Without actually playing through it myself it seems to me the Passacaglia is by far the more difficult piece. As you say lovely intro but then it heats up a little!
Update
Just found the score definitely more difficult with a couple of challenging stretches to say the least
Surfing equates to living in the very moment of 'now'. When you ride a wave, you leave behind all things important and unimportant, the purity of the moment is upon you. Bill Hamilton (Kauai, Hawaii)

avoz

Post by avoz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 am

The 'Tiento Antiguo' is much easier to play, a lovely atmospheric piece which testifies to Rodrigo's fondness for Renaissance music, as do his arrangements for piano of vihuela music by Luis Milan. avoz

rrobbins

Post by rrobbins » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm

ramsnake wrote: Without actually playing through it myself it seems to me the Passacaglia is by far the more difficult piece. As you say lovely intro but then it heats up a little!
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing.
avoz wrote:The 'Tiento Antiguo' is much easier to play, a lovely atmospheric piece which testifies to Rodrigo's fondness for Renaissance music, as do his arrangements for piano of vihuela music by Luis Milan. avoz
Thank you. I was not familiar with this piece, but I found a recording of it. It is nice.

Regards,

Rick

Frankaaro

Post by Frankaaro » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:02 pm

I think Invocacion y Danza is probably the most "playable" (except for the Danza part in the middle of course...) of the best Rodrigo works, but then again it's a pretty big pice. The Passacaglia is a bit shorter.

LFP

Post by LFP » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 am

No one has mentioned Sarabande Loentain (spelling??).

I always thought it was the easiest of all the Rodrigo pieces.

John O

Post by John O » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:08 pm

An "easy" Rodrigo piece is an oxymoron! Has anyone heard his recently discovered Toccata? :shock: It looks and sounds very nasty. There's a video of Marcin Dylla playing it--even he struggles with it!

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm with Darth Fugue on this one. There is no real 'easy' Rodrigo piece. But after listening to that Toccata, that's probably got to be one of the hardest. Even Tiempo Antiquo is quite rhythmically complicated and I'd NEVER consider that a simple piece.

But given a choice between the 2 original pieces listed, I'd say En Los Trigales.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:58 pm

To me, the two "easiest" Rodrigo pieces are the middle movements of "Elogio de la Guitarra", or the "Sonata Giacosa". Both are long enough to stand on their own in a student recital.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

John O

Post by John O » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:14 am

Guitarshreda wrote:I'm with Darth Fugue on this one.

Hey, I'm not an alien being... :wink:

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:43 pm

Death Fugue wrote:

LOL...sorry about that, but isn't it obvious that I think your the dark lord of the fugue?
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

John O

Post by John O » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Guitarshreda wrote:
Death Fugue wrote:

LOL...sorry about that, but isn't it obvious that I think your the dark lord of the fugue?
Fair enough...I can live with that!

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Found this thread. I can play Junto al Generalife (learning it was hard work) and am now considering to start learning Tiento Antiguo. I have not seen the score yet but I am wondering if this piece is much more difficult than the Junto? Please advice!

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:22 pm

I find Tres piezas españolas with some challenging phrases but overall is not that difficult.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 pm

With this thread having been revived after four years*, I can say that I have found some Rodrigo music which is genuinely "fairly easy" to play.

The piece is a published transcription (by Pepe Romero) of a six-movement piano work, "El Album de Cecilia", written by Rodrigo for his daughter. The first four movements are quite accessible for players of modest ability, and if played in the sequence 1-3-4-2 would make a good stand-alone set of about 5-6 minutes' music. The 5th movement is rather more difficult, with an ostinato bass figure throughout which is similar to his setting of "Ya se van los Pastores". As for the 6th movement? Well, let's just say that I am sure glad that Pepe Romero thinks it is playable on guitar! :D Tough sledding for the rest of us!

There's a CD of this suite on piano, played by Artur Pizarro. He plays it quite rapidly, too fast I think.

*A personal perspective: a few days after my prior post on this topic, my daughter announced she was pregnant. My grandson's 4th birthday is tomorrow. "How time flies", etc.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”