Agustin Barrios " -Julia Florida" -

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Stefan Uriadka

Re: Agustin Barrios " -Julia Florida" -

Postby Stefan Uriadka » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:48 am

pogmoor wrote:
Grahamb wrote:I remember reading somewhere that he wrote it for a guitar student of his called Julia

... I've always assumed the title translates as 'Julia flowering' - ie a young girl growing up, so it would fit for a young student developing her skills :?:

Flor = Flower and Babel fish says Florida = 'Flowery' but I suspect 'Flowering' is the correct application here. Possibly as a student developing her skills, or also quite possibly, just a young girl 'flowering' into a woman. Only Agustin knows. Whatever the case, a beautiful song.

Sean

Postby Sean » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:47 pm

Beginner-p-i-m-a wrote:
byrdwatcher wrote:So what do you say if you're not Spanish?

I would say Hulia anyway

This reminds me of in brassed off when they are playing concerto de orange juice

Ah, how I love Tara Fitzgerald!

el Corcobés

Postby el Corcobés » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:50 pm

douglas wrote:"In December of 1938 Barrios wrote one of his masterpieces, the barcarola Julia Florida, dedicated to Francisco Salazar's niece Julia Martinez."
from "Six Silver Moonbeams" by Richard D. Stover

Barrios was not in good shape at this time and Salazar provided a home for him and his wife Gloria to stay in while in Costa Rica :cry: .

Just been studying this lovely piece yet again ( Tues is my barrios day), and wondered as to the meaning behind it.
Thanks for the explanation Douglas; this fits with your story of Barrios's illness period.

el Corcobés

Postby el Corcobés » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Stefan Uriadka wrote:
pogmoor wrote:
Grahamb wrote:I remember reading somewhere that he wrote it for a guitar student of his called Julia

... I've always assumed the title translates as 'Julia flowering' - ie a young girl growing up, so it would fit for a young student developing her skills :?:

Flor = Flower and Babel fish says Florida = 'Flowery' but I suspect 'Flowering' is the correct application here. Possibly as a student developing her skills, or also quite possibly, just a young girl 'flowering' into a woman. Only Agustin knows. Whatever the case, a beautiful song.

I think perhaps 'florida' ( adj.)= flowery, florid...is perhaps more likely to refer to e.g a characteristic flower worn by the student, and Barrios may have teasingly /charmingly referred to her in that way?. There is also a figurative use of the adjective to mean 'the choicest of any one thing'

The reference to skills level might possibly be ' florecido,da' from the verb 'florecer'= to flourish.

I agree, an incredibly beautiful piece of music...what must the young lady have felt of it, and what may be the explanation for the Barcarola mid-way through? :bye:

Steve Kutzer

Postby Steve Kutzer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:30 pm

On the TV Show Weeds, a drug kingpin is putting the moves on our girl Nancy. He plays her Julia Florida (I think it's David Russell's disc) and tells her it's the most beautiful barcarolla ever written. Nice to see our instrument and Barrios making into mainstream culture.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

el Corcobés

Postby el Corcobés » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:45 am

Just came across this in Wikipedia under Barrios's bio:

Also, several biographers and authorities present convincing documented evidence that Barrios was born, instead, in the nearby town of Villa Florida, Misiones, situated on the Tebicuary River some 30 km north of San Juan Bautista

I don't suppose there is any connection :?

Cheese

Postby Cheese » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:18 am

zonca wrote:Or this..

"A Barcarola or "boat song" is usually in 6/8 steady rhythm, reminiscent of songs of the Venetian gondoliers"

This is True.

Harry Jess

Postby Harry Jess » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:55 pm

There is a thread on this topic on the Spanish subforum....
Harry

el Corcobés

Postby el Corcobés » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 pm

thanks Harry

i see you refer there to the 'florida' as being a complimentary reference to a beautiful girl, a 'guapa' as you might say in Castellano;
i can well believe that as there are often specific regional meanings to some words.

i looked in that Forum for any word on the particular usage of the Barcarolla but alas there is no comment on that.
I'll just have to keep looking :bye:

Harry Jess

Postby Harry Jess » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Yes, el corcobes, and the thing is that the stress falls on the penultimo syllable, Flor 'I da, not on the first one as in the state of Florida in USA. (Why is the emphasis here on the first syllable, by the way?)
Harry

el Corcobés

Postby el Corcobés » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 am

Harry Jess wrote:Yes, el corcobes, and the thing is that the stress falls on the penultimo syllable, Flor 'I da, not on the first one as in the state of Florida in USA. (Why is the emphasis here on the first syllable, by the way?)
Harry

Harry, i can only assume that the grammatical rules for English/American English are less onerous than those encountered in Spanish grammar??!! Perhaps also a bit of local usage etc.. :bye:

Moderato

Postby Moderato » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:47 am

It's OK to pronounce it "Julia" until the day comes when you find out it's pronounced "Hulia."
03 Ramirez 1a CD/BR
06 Baroque Lute - 13 Course w/Bass Rider

mrj335

Postby mrj335 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Look who really cares how you pronounce it. One way to the other it is a beautiful piece. I am just starting on the first 8 bars. So would I say adios or adio!!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”