Help with fingering in Cardoso's Milonga

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
oski79

Re: Help with fingering in Cardoso's Milonga

Post by oski79 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:05 pm

jdhunt wrote:In the version of the music I have (it's at home, I'm at work so can't look up publisher, etc), at the end (excluding the fine), it is marked D.C. al (signe) Fine, and there are two sixteenth note pick up notes (C and C# if memory serves correct).
This looks like the same version I have. I don't know the publisher--it says "A Juan Ruano" on one side and "Jorge Cardoso" on the other beneath the title, "Milonga (De 24 Piezas Sudamericanas)." Is Ruano the publisher, arranger, collaborator, or what? The two pickup notes at the first ending, C & C#, lead right back into the D at the start, so in that sense it makes sense.
khayes wrote:Oski, when you say this is the 'stickiest part', are you talking about those first few measures or do you mean for the entire piece?
Well, for me that is the toughest part of the piece, simply because it's a challenge to play cleanly. There are other tricky parts, but to me at least none that are quite as tough.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

jdhunt

Post by jdhunt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:49 pm

oski79 wrote: This looks like the same version I have. I don't know the publisher--it says "A Juan Ruano" on one side and "Jorge Cardoso" on the other beneath the title, "Milonga (De 24 Piezas Sudamericanas)." Is Ruano the publisher, arranger, collaborator, or what? The two pickup notes at the first ending, C & C#, lead right back into the D at the start, so in that sense it makes sense.
I guess it does help tie in the section that just ended with the start.

Mine is published by Union Musikal Espanola.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:33 pm

My problem is that my fingers are too big to fit into the tiny fret at this position (10th fret)
In my lesson yesterday, I picked up another tip on this section that should help. Play the A on the 2nd string, but don't plant the C and F on the 4th and 3rd until just after the A is played. You should hold the A, but you can "pull" the finger ever so slightly toward the 1st string to make a bit more room for the 2 & 3 fingers without changing the pitch noticably. This definitely helped me.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:08 pm

oski79 wrote:
My problem is that my fingers are too big to fit into the tiny fret at this position (10th fret)
In my lesson yesterday, I picked up another tip on this section that should help. Play the A on the 2nd string, but don't plant the C and F on the 4th and 3rd until just after the A is played. You should hold the A, but you can "pull" the finger ever so slightly toward the 1st string to make a bit more room for the 2 & 3 fingers without changing the pitch noticably. This definitely helped me.
Good point, and good technique in general -- in a broken or arpeggiated chord, you don't always need to "grab" the full chord all at once. In this case, the most important thing is to shift that first finger to the F in the bass first. Then, you have plenty of time to finger the A on the 2nd string, and even more time to finger the rest of the chord.

Mind, you don't necessarily want to wait until the last instant to finger each note. But you can sequence the fingers for a smoother transition and more accurate placement.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:50 am

Guitar Slim wrote: Mind, you don't necessarily want to wait until the last instant to finger each note. But you can sequence the fingers for a smoother transition and more accurate placement.
That's a great tip, one which I constantly have to remind myself of. (And when I forget, my teacher does so for me!) You don't have to place all three notes on the tenth fret at the same time, and it is in fact often easier if you don't.

ramsnake

Post by ramsnake » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:47 am

oski79 wrote:
Guitar Slim wrote: Mind, you don't necessarily want to wait until the last instant to finger each note. But you can sequence the fingers for a smoother transition and more accurate placement.
That's a great tip, one which I constantly have to remind myself of. (And when I forget, my teacher does so for me!) You don't have to place all three notes on the tenth fret at the same time, and it is in fact often easier if you don't.
Officially known as Sequential Fingering and a given when teaching students to play arpeggios.
Surfing equates to living in the very moment of 'now'. When you ride a wave, you leave behind all things important and unimportant, the purity of the moment is upon you. Bill Hamilton (Kauai, Hawaii)

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:00 am

Envy u all. I love this piece so much but have not been successful getting the scores. Appreciate if I can have a copy. Tks. my email *** email address removed for personal security reasons ****

grwagner

Post by grwagner » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:33 am

A testament to the beauty of Delcamp - my teacher assigned this piece last Saturday and I've been thrashing away ever since at the first 8 bars. Man, is this thing tough... and without those who have gone before, and written about it here, I would have made very little progress.

Thanks to all of you! :)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:21 am

Bruno wrote:Envy u all. I love this piece so much but have not been successful getting the scores. Appreciate if I can have a copy. Tks. my email *** email address removed for personal security reasons ****
Cardoso is still very much alive and this piece is under copyright, so copies must not be exchanged over this forum. It is available for purchase, for instance in his "24 Piezas Sudamericanas para guitarra", published by Union Musical Ediciones.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Just one more footnote on this piece--I've watched numerous performers on you tube, but I got the most from Cesar Amaro's version. He's also playing quite an interesting looking guitar. Here's a pic from his website:

No sound hole, so I'd guess there is at least one sound port on the upper bout.

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:44 am

Tks for the info, GeoffB. Am also looking forward to buy them

grwagner

Post by grwagner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:18 am

oski79 wrote: This looks like the same version I have. I don't know the publisher--it says "A Juan Ruano" on one side and "Jorge Cardoso" on the other beneath the title, "Milonga (De 24 Piezas Sudamericanas)." Is Ruano the publisher, arranger, collaborator, or what?
"A" means "to", as in dedicated to. Each piece in the book is dedicated to a guitarist. One of them, a Venezuelan waltz, is dedicated to my friend Ricardo Moyano. So I've GOT to learn to play it before I see him again.

Best regards,
George

leslietranter

Post by leslietranter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:30 am

Here we are nine years after the original post in this thread; I have just started this piece and am encountering the same problems as my predecessors! Currently battling with bars 22 - 27. Should keep me going to Christmas - but which year?!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”