Right hand fingering for Asturias (Leyenda) Albeniz

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
alf1

Right hand fingering for Asturias (Leyenda) Albeniz

Post by alf1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:30 am

I'm a little confused with the right hand fingering for Asturias (leyenda) for the first part (first 24 measures)

Normally my instinct tells me that I should approach it with p -i -p-m-..... That is the starting sequence of Bs starts with an i-m sequence.

The book that I have titiled "Guitar Solos and Duets" works by Albeniz and Sanz transcribed by Pepe Romero, 1982 Bradley Publications has this piece as p-i-p-i.... That is the starting sequence of Bs is all played with only the index finger. Normally I would frown on this fingering but the book seems to be a fairly serious book.

How should it be played? Any input is greatly appreciated.

ramsnake

Re: Right hand fingering for Asturias (Leyenda) Albeniz

Post by ramsnake » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:36 am

Traditionally it is p i p m but some players choose to use p i p i or p m p m etc for tonal consistency. Experiment a bit and see what works for you.
Surfing equates to living in the very moment of 'now'. When you ride a wave, you leave behind all things important and unimportant, the purity of the moment is upon you. Bill Hamilton (Kauai, Hawaii)

Kenny

Post by Kenny » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:31 pm

P i for as Ramsnake said, consistency of sound plus right hand stability. You can plan M ( and A if you want ) on the first string, for a very stable right hand, This is an intermidiate concept that goes against the teaching of never using the same finger all over, but it works great in here.

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:45 pm

I think I used p m when i did it. For the tone to be constant and because p and m are very independent.

Stanley Yates has an edition of Asutrias on his website:

www.stanleyyates.com

Once you enter his site, click on the "free music" link on the left. He has it fingered using pi.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi alf1! I've noticed that you have just joined us! I'd like to invite you to introduce yourself and maybe tell us a little bit about your musical background and interests, besides Asturias :wink:

Best wishes :bye:

Wolfgang

Patrick delBosque

Post by Patrick delBosque » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:52 pm

I use p -m for that section, mainly because it was marked that way in the first arrangement I learned from.
But then as I got better, I tried different right hand methods and discovered that p -i made my hand more tense.
Try placing your left hand lightly over your right as you alternate p - i and then p -m and p - a. For me, my hand and especially the big thumb muscle is much more tense with p -i (leading to errors with the thumb stroke). p-m is the least tense and p - a is also good.
But then maybe my hand is weird?
:D
Patrick

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Why not p m or p a?

RectifiedGTRz

Post by RectifiedGTRz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:57 am

I use p-m-p-i because I taught myself to alternate (I guess the old school to try and not repeat right hand fingerings, however this doesn't always work); Sometimes I use p-i-p-m.... I'm too tense if I use p-i or p-m exclusively at the beginning. Then when you have to hit the low E and the 7th fret E, then the open B and the high b I'm hitting p on the 6th and the 5th string together and i-m and then p-i-m which seems to me to somehow coincide with the alternating at the beginning.

I think you can use whatever you like and feels comfortable to you. I never learned to "plant" or anchor my right hand fingers, so my right hand is always "free", except when you have to dampen strings to stop the notes from ringing or to stop sympathetic vibrations (of course, I also use my left hand for that as well).

p-m-p-a might be a good finger exercise, but would be a weaker sound for me I think and not too confident and my a finger likes to hit the high e string if I try that for some reason.
1991 Michael Thames Cedar #134
2012 Ramirez 4NE Cedar
2016 Cordoba Hauser (Master Series) #467

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:59 am

RectifiedGTRz wrote:I use p-m-p-i ...
+1
I learned it from the book "Concert Spanish Masterpieces for Guitar", and there the fingering was specified with p-m-p-i.
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

nokturnal

Post by nokturnal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:26 pm

P i p a anyone? I found that is stable for my rh.

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Over the period that I have worked on the piece I find p i for the 1st 16 bars leading comfortably over to p m a for "that switch over" to the octave B's on Pos VII,seems to work for me.However, I believe string spacing and neck width, will dictate which fingerings work or don't work in each individual case.

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm

I prefer using M, but I use whatever sounds best that day.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”