Bach Cello Suites: Richard Wright arrangements

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Brock

Bach Cello Suites: Richard Wright arrangements

Post by Brock » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:44 am

Has anyone used Richard Wright's book of Bach Cello Suites 1-4 (published by Cadenza Music)? What keys does he use and what tunings?

I'm particularly interested in Suite No. 1, and am wondering if this edition makes a good alternative to the Duarte version - access to three other suites in one volume looks a useful addition. Incidentally before anyone tells me "search is my friend" I have seen the topics which recommend the Stanley Yates edition, but I'd prefer to stick with Suite No. 1 in D (with a 6th = D tuning) rather than C which Yates uses.

All advice gratefully received. Thanks, Brock

jfdana

Re: Bach Cello Suites: Richard Wright arrangements

Post by jfdana » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:41 pm

I haven't seen it myself, but Wright's edition is recommended by Jonathan Leathwood whose opinion I respect greatly.

jorpheus

Post by jorpheus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Hello,

From all I know, I like best the transcriptions by Allen Krantz (International Music Company, New York, No. 3464, (c) 1999) - No. 1 is in D with the low string tuned to D, indeed.

Best wishes,

jorpheus

Brock

Post by Brock » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks for both replies so far - yes I agree Jonathan Leathwood's opinion is a positive recommendation. I'd not heard of the Krantz edition before, so I'll check out its availability.
I'd still be interested if anyone's any experience of Richard Wright's arrangments.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:26 pm

I recommend you also check Marcos Diaz transcriptions. He recorded and edited all of them on Opera Tres. Suite no1 is in D...

Brock

Post by Brock » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks Luis

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Are there any others?

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Based on this you tube performance of the prelude it's in the key of C.

https://youtu.be/uqT-Mz95yJg

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Yes its in C. Much like the Stanley Yates Mel Bay edition, except that it takes a different approach in that there are very few (cue size) added bass notes. In essence the philosophy of these arrangements is to find ways to make the music work in a low-ish register on the guitar, rather than the usual method of raising it then adding a bass-line; this involves a degree of use of cross-string patterns etc to make it idiomatically guitar-like.

Also worth adding that the point of the edition was in large part to fit with the then new ABRSM guitar syllabus, and to make guitar-Bach accessible technically, leaving the musical challenges much as the cellist finds them.

Btw the OP is long gone.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:27 am

I had no idea who Richard Wright was until I started looking around on YT and ...... he's Kevin Loh's teacher! Here's Kevin playing my favorite Bach cello piece:

Youtube

Search YT for "Prelude from the 6th Cello Suite, BWV 1012 by J. S. Bach" if this video isn't allowed.

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:29 am

RichardUno wrote:Here's Kevin playing my favorite Bach cello piece
OK, he's quite good...
Stephen Kenyon wrote:Yes its in C. Much like the Stanley Yates Mel Bay edition, except that it takes a different approach in that there are very few (cue size) added bass notes. <snip>
Also worth adding that the point of the edition was in large part to fit with the then new ABRSM guitar syllabus, and to make guitar-Bach accessible technically, leaving the musical challenges much as the cellist finds them.
In an ABRSM exam, can you fill in the harmony a bit more, or are you expected to stick to Wright's exact arrangement?
BTW, this syllabus seems to have been in place for ages - is it likely to change any time soon?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Mr Kite wrote:...
In an ABRSM exam, can you fill in the harmony a bit more, or are you expected to stick to Wright's exact arrangement?
BTW, this syllabus seems to have been in place for ages - is it likely to change any time soon?
The examiner doesn't have the score in front of them and will not be hearing these pieces in exams often enough to learn them that way ... and wouldn't really be able to object anyway, not least as additions would in principle make the pieces harder. Apart from that check out the Regulations to see what the exact working re choice of edition is.

The syllabus came out in 2008 and applied from 2009, and this was the first big re-gig of the whole approach in decades, so I'd be surprised if much changes anytime soon, certainly, the last time I asked if there was going to be a refresh the answer was 'no, they're happy with it as it is'.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Good to know, many thanks. I should probably dive in but it's always a case of "let me just get a bit better first"!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Mr Kite wrote:Good to know, many thanks. I should probably dive in but it's always a case of "let me just get a bit better first"!
We all feel that. I always recommend folks think what grade they should do (this only works for Grade 2+!) and start off with the one lower. That way you breeze through it and have a confident start to build on. A tutor should also be in a position to advise...
Louis Panormo (1838)

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Mr Kite wrote:Good to know, many thanks. I should probably dive in but it's always a case of "let me just get a bit better first"!
We all feel that. I always recommend folks think what grade they should do (this only works for Grade 2+!) and start off with the one lower. That way you breeze through it and have a confident start to build on. A tutor should also be in a position to advise...
Stephen, what grade is the Richard Wright prelude for Cello Suite #1?
And is the Stanley Yates arrangement about the same level?

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”