Guitar method for small children? (4-5 years old)

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Luis_Br

Re: Guitar method for small children? (4-5 years old)

Post by Luis_Br » Thu May 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Here in Brazil there is a nice method by Silvana Mariani called "O Equilibrista das Seis Cordas". The book has nice drawings and activities to engage children learning through having fun, but it is in Portuguese and with several local folk songs that might not fit as well for someone from another country.

In a Brazilian forum, Fabio Zanon recommended an Italian method by Cosimo Antitomaso, "La chitarra per i ragazzi", which you find here:
http://www.esarmonia.com/Eng/contents/en-uk/d45.html
But I don't know this book.

Daires Roberto

Post by Daires Roberto » Tue May 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Here in Brazil too
there is a method by Henrique Pinto "Ciranda das 6 cordas" Ed.Ricordi.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 am

I’ll chime in with a thought. As long as the method used is sufficiently gradual, then it won’t be nearly as important as the teacher. A good teacher who understands young children will make any reasonably gradual method method work. With young children, the success or failure of guitar lessons depends on how much they enjoy working with the teacher. Although an oversimplification, Tiago’s 2010 post is still valid: “In the end there is no bad method for a good teacher and no good method for a bad one.”

I start kids with the eight notes of a G major scale. As soon as they can play this, it’s on to “Twinkle.” After that, we add a fourth string open D and tackle “Frère Jacques.” (American kids under the age of 7 might know this as “Where Is Thumbkin?”) And after that, we do Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy.”

Once my students can do these three tunes, I start them on Aaron Shearer’s “Learning the Classic Guitar, Part Two.” This book is assuredly not targeted at young children. I don’t care. My mantra is sell it and make it fun. (I get mileage out of telling young kids they’re using a “real book” that adults use, not a kiddie book.) And teachers who do their job right can sell any method of comparable level.

With young children, it’s the teacher that’s crucial. And it’s probably just as true for adults.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 am

Once my students can do these three tunes, I start them on Aaron Shearer’s “Learning the Classic Guitar, Part Two.” This book is assuredly not targeted at young children. I don’t care. My mantra is sell it and make it fun. (I get mileage out of telling young kids they’re using a “real book” that adults use, not a kiddie book.) And teachers who do their job right can sell any method of comparable level.
Good advice. Not to take away from the "Oh my God, I'm using a 'real' book method," but are you familiar with Rodney Stucky's GUITAR FOR THE YOUNG books? It follows a very similar outline to LTCG.
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Daniel Penalva » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 am
I’ll chime in with a thought. As long as the method used is sufficiently gradual, then it won’t be nearly as important as the teacher. A good teacher who understands young children will make any reasonably gradual method method work. With young children, the success or failure of guitar lessons depends on how much they enjoy working with the teacher. Although an oversimplification, Tiago’s 2010 post is still valid: “In the end there is no bad method for a good teacher and no good method for a bad one.”

I start kids with the eight notes of a G major scale. As soon as they can play this, it’s on to “Twinkle.” After that, we add a fourth string open D and tackle “Frère Jacques.” (American kids under the age of 7 might know this as “Where Is Thumbkin?”) And after that, we do Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy.”
Hi,

I would like to know many more of these traditional children songs, like "Where is Thumbkin?". Since it is a common pedagogical method to teach many things ("Where is Thumbkin?" is very common in Brazil), and the parents often know and introduce these.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”