Final arpeggios in Allegro Solemne (La Catedral)

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: Final arpeggios in Allegro Solemne (La Catedral)

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Fredonia_Guitar_11 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:11 pm

This is a popular fingering for this passage, but has a lot of shifts. While a good fingering I personally like incorporating as many open strings as possible to create "gaps" for the LH to shift positions. It gives a little more time and makes the passage much more manageable. A lot of shifts while doable, is a risky fingering to me. That's why I agree with the idea of open strings. Zinc, could you post a version of your fingering?

Here is the fingering I use:
Catedral Fingering.jpg

Do you see the "gaps" right before shifts? It gives time to shift while you playing the open string. Also, notice the use of guide fingers which also gives something to ease the passage some. Hope this helps!
Thank you for this! This exactly what Denis Azabagic shows in his master class (search in Youtube 'Denis Azabagic teaches Allegro solemne from La Catedral by Agustin Barrios Mangore', starts from 21:40).
I find this fingering way more comfortable than the standard one.
Last edited by Andrei Puhach on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:52 pm

zinc1024 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:07 pm
Edward, I can't personally handle all those fretboard shifts.

Fredonia, that's creative, but I don't like going "on and off" on the strings like that and for me at least, it doesn't help me get to speed with accuracy.

Sorry I guess I should know how to whip up a short score (what s/w are you all using for this? freeware from somewhere?), but I don't have time at the moment to figure that all out so I'll just describe it best I can.

What I'm settling on only has one chordal shift (with a final scalar sequence) and is keeping a steady p-i-m-a-m-i-p pattern going as well, though occasionally with successive strokes on a common string, and once skipping a string.

Barre at IV (Gm shape playing the Bm chord) and play a-m-i-p-i-m on 3-4-5-6-5-4. Then use 4 at fret VII on string 3, stroke with a, lift and still holding the Gm shape chord play m-i-p-i-m on 3-4-5-4-3.

Then make the only LH shift needed, to barre (Em shape, Bm chord) on VII. Continue the arpeggio pattern, a-m-i-p-i-m on 2-3-4-5-4-3.

Then the string skip: stroke with a-m-i-p-i-m on 1-2-3-4-3-2

Then put 4 on X on the 1st string and continue the arpeggio pattern stroking with a, then lift and play m-i-p-i-m on 1-2-3-2-1.

Finish with alternative i-m strokes: place 4 on X and play with i, slide to XIV with 4 and play with m, place 2 on XII on string 2 and stroke with i, place 1on X on string 1 and stroke with m, 4 again on XIV with i, then way up with 4 to whatever the heck fret that is and finish with the final two chords.

I like it!! Again, only one shift as I count it, and you can "rip" it fairly easily because it's consistent p-i-m-a-m-i-p arpeggiation.

Give it a try and see what you think.

-Kevin
Zinc, thanks for this, but could you please double check this transition:
> Then put 4 on X on the 1st string and continue the arpeggio pattern stroking with a, then lift and play m-i-p-i-m on 1-2-3-2-1.

> Finish with alternative i-m strokes: place 4 on X and play with i,

Should we play D on 1 (X) with 4 again? This will be the same note we started the previous section ("...then put 4 on X on the 1st string...")
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 am

I found out that a hybrid fingering works best for me:
- playing the first 2 passages and the shift to the 3rd in a traditional way (bar IV, bar III -> bar VII)
- when at bar VII (Bm) place fingers 2 and 3 on strings 5 and 4 respectively (note, we use fingers 2 and 3 rather than fingers 3 and 4)
- from now on play the fingering from Fredonia_Guitar_11
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”