Which grade 8 pieces are you learning?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
jimmyblues

Re: Which grade 8 pieces are you learning?

Postby jimmyblues » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:51 pm

I understand what you're saying, Senunkan but i find it disheartening.

You would hope that examiners for instrumental performances would have experience with the instrument in question, especially once you get to the higher grades where tone colour and guitaristic effects are allowed to (and should be made to) shine!

For example, the Trinity technical suite [grade 8] contains very guitaristic effects (e.g. glissandi, tambora), and changes in tone colour are written out as guidance for interpretation of the pieces. It would be a crying shame if the examiners were not competent enough to recognise these effects and appreciate them accordingly. I would think it would be an important part of a thorough examination of a student's ability. Surely there must be enough examiners who have experience with CG?

Or maybe not. A shame though, if that is the case.
Autumn.

senunkan

Postby senunkan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 am

I haven't tried any of the Trinity exams but I did notice that Trinity has more of guitar related test items like pizzicato scales etc.
I would assume the Trinity examiners should be well-accustomed to listen for guitaristic effects.

But about the ABRSM exams, I do feel it's a good exam as it forces me to build up other aspects of music, which could be lacking if I were to just concentrate on guitar music alone.
Sen CL Goh
2013 Sen Goh (S - IR)
2010 Sen Goh (S - IR)
1996 Ross Gutmeier (C - IR)
Alhambra 4P
Yamaha CG110

spats71

Postby spats71 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Going back a little here but when I took grade 8 I studied the following.
Walton Bagatelle No 1
Dowland Fantasia
Guilani - Sonata 1st mov.

The issue of an examiner being a proficient instrumentalist is a double edged sword. I am a music teacher and find that students performing guitar are given a lot more latitude than those playing violin / piano in a GCSE performance. However those that play steel pan drums are given so much more.
We cant expect the examiner to be an expert in every instrument and therefore a compromise has to be made. Not good, but thats how it is!

Louise Wilson

Postby Louise Wilson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:24 am

is there anyone else who looks through the aural requirements, as that can be a stumbling block, then decides which examination school to go with ? I prefer ABRSM aural, as more material to practice from, but Trinity pieces are easier to obtain, not being in several different books.

Jon Griffiths

Postby Jon Griffiths » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:33 pm

Does no one do abrsm? Seems most people opt for trinity is there a reason for this.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Jon Griffiths wrote:Does no one do abrsm? Seems most people opt for trinity is there a reason for this.

Well some of the previous posts did describe AB exams so somebody is obviously doing them. I normally recommend my students go with ABRSM - unless they come with the baggage of previously having done Trinity exams, as there is some cost to changing approach especially in the scales, arpeggios and aurals et.

To a degree they attract slightly different types of people. Trinity exams in some ways are more relaxed in their requirements, but in some other ways are harder (esp in terms of technical demands), while AB exams are probably more widely respected by the world at large, and not just because of the word Royal in the title (though that does carry some weight in some quarters believe it or not - private schools for example, in my experience). AB don't try so hard to seem approachable; to me, Trinity try too hard (and its my 'old school').
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Quique Castillo

Postby Quique Castillo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Where can I see a list of the songs in each grade???

Thanks!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:57 pm

quiquekano wrote:Where can I see a list of the songs in each grade???

The pieces for each grade are available as pdfs from ABRSM and Trinity websites - you will need to navigate to the grade exams, the instrument and the syllabus page on each.

Sorry to be a fuss pot, but they are not songs - none of them have words! :daccord:
Louis Panormo (1838)

Quique Castillo

Postby Quique Castillo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
quiquekano wrote:Where can I see a list of the songs in each grade???

The pieces for each grade are available as pdfs from ABRSM and Trinity websites - you will need to navigate to the grade exams, the instrument and the syllabus page on each.

Sorry to be a fuss pot, but they are not songs - none of them have words! :daccord:

Thanks for the reply Stephen. You're right they are musical pieces!

Good day to you!
:bye:

Anastas

Postby Anastas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 pm

For ABRSM grade 8 I would suggest also:

List A- Gigue, Bach, lute suite 997
List B- Gran Vals- Tarrega
List C- Mazurka Choro by Villa Lobos

There is a very interesting version of the Mazurka in youtube, played by Yamandu Costa and Guto Wirtti

GJW

Postby GJW » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi all

Just put myself in for Grade 5 ABRSM, I'm doing Guinga "Senhorinha", Telemann "Gigue" and Carcassi Opus 60 No 3.

I feel the ABRSM are more classically based, my teacher finds the Trinity syllabus more suited to younger students (I'm old...!!)

G
Yamaha CG120, Takamine EC132SC, Perl Gold lute style classical
2 x Westone electrics
2 x Fender F series 6 string (steel), Fender F series 12 string
Yamaha Bass
2 x Sitar (from India/Pakistan)
Kokle (from Latvia), Geierleyer (from Germany) and a Ukulele

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:09 pm

GJW wrote:Hi all
Just put myself in for Grade 5 ABRSM, I'm doing Guinga "Senhorinha", Telemann "Gigue" and Carcassi Opus 60 No 3.
I feel the ABRSM are more classically based, my teacher finds the Trinity syllabus more suited to younger students (I'm old...!!)

G

That's a really good choice, and best of luck (not that it comes down to that...)

Re AB vs Trinity, there is some truth in that observation, and there are slightly more 'popular' inspired pieces in the Trinity lists, but I would suggest that a large chunk of the angle towards the younger - who are the largest age group taking these things - is the pandering (in my view) towards other aspects of what examinees want, eg in relation to choice within the syllabus, and choice in the other tests, sight reading etc etc.
Louis Panormo (1838)

DerekB

Postby DerekB » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:02 am

For Trinity Grade 8 I was learning:

Scarlatti - Sonata in A (K322)
Villa-Lobos - Mazurka-Choro
Ponce - Vals

That is until I fractured the scaphoid in my right wrist. The scaphoid has a very poor blood supply and takes months and months to heal. Even after they inserted a screw to hold the bits together on New Year's Eve (don't worry, I was under a general anaesthetic at the time) I am expecting to have my right hand immobilised for a long time. You can imagine how frustrating it is.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

GJW

Postby GJW » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:That's a really good choice, and best of luck (not that it comes down to that...)

Re AB vs Trinity, there is some truth in that observation, and there are slightly more 'popular' inspired pieces in the Trinity lists, but I would suggest that a large chunk of the angle towards the younger - who are the largest age group taking these things - is the pandering (in my view) towards other aspects of what examinees want, eg in relation to choice within the syllabus, and choice in the other tests, sight reading etc etc.

Indeed no luck involved, but thanks anyway Stephen...

I actually enjoy learning scales and arpeggios and I also find them useful for improving my improvisational skills and I prefer the more traditional approach of ABRSM.
Yamaha CG120, Takamine EC132SC, Perl Gold lute style classical
2 x Westone electrics
2 x Fender F series 6 string (steel), Fender F series 12 string
Yamaha Bass
2 x Sitar (from India/Pakistan)
Kokle (from Latvia), Geierleyer (from Germany) and a Ukulele

Jon Griffiths

Postby Jon Griffiths » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Anastas wrote:For ABRSM grade 8 I would suggest also:

List A- Gigue, Bach, lute suite 997
List B- Gran Vals- Tarrega
List C- Mazurka Choro by Villa Lobos

There is a very interesting version of the Mazurka in youtube, played by Yamandu Costa and Guto Wirtti

Nearly what I am doing but on list a I chose the frog galliard Dowland.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”