How to Practice 22 hours a Week

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
abhinav chhetri

Re: How to Practice 22 hours a Week

Post by abhinav chhetri » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:51 am

Wont to improve really fast so i play around 4-5 hours a day that is roughly speaking 30 hrs a week.But currently i am free or not working so it is fairly easy for someone who is completely free.Next month ill start my new job in H.P as an engineer then i am sure this topic and the above discussions will come in handy . :D

sgraham924

Post by sgraham924 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Well, make sure to get all your practice in now while you have the time. :)

abhinav chhetri

Post by abhinav chhetri » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 pm

sgraham924 wrote:Well, make sure to get all your practice in now while you have the time. :)
Ya well that is what i am exactly up-to right now at least .Trying to make sure i can get in as much time as possible. :)

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I spent somewhere between 6-10 hours a day for about 6 years at the beginning, developing technique, reading ability and repertoire. A strong foundation is really key to longevity was my theory. After playing for 35 years, I got hit with focal dystonia, from practicing fast scales for flamenco. Now, in order to get over the dystonia, I practice 90 minutes a day, very slowly, without stress or pressure. A knowledge of anatomy cam be very helpful in developing a good technique without injury, I learned a bit too late. In any event, the technique is returning, and being without it opened up a whole new world of singing and various folk musics from around the world. It looks like the Shearer method is the one that pays the most attention to how the hands actually work; I only discovered it recently, but I recommend it highly. That's "Learning the Classic Guitar, Parts 1 & 2".
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

mk49

Post by mk49 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

In the last few weeks, I practiced too much, and the middle jonts of my left index finger started hurting very badly, when I bend it. I had the pain for a while, but it was only when I get up in the morning, pretty much every morning. A few days ago, it just got worse, and it's just too painful to bend the finger for the whole day. I can barre without the pain, but that's pretty much all I can do with the finger. I'm still practicing without using the left index finger, but you know that's not as fun. :x I finally started feeling less pain today, so hopefully, I can start using the finger in a few days.

I played electric guitars for over 25 years, and I practiced 40 to 50 hours a week for 3 years (I was in high school). I've never had any pain in my fingers in the past. I guess I'm getting old or whatever. I'll have to be careful. Just don't push yourself too much, when you have pain, even if it's minor.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:56 pm

I once asked my first flamenco guitar teacher, the great Mario Escudero, how long he practiced each day when he was learning. His answer was "From the time the sun came up until the sun went down." Pepe Romero said something similar.

In fact, the great flamenco guitar virtuosos all started in early childhood, and practiced ten to twelve hours every day for years. So twenty-two hours a week doesn't sound like much compared to seventy-two hours a week.

But even without extremes, if you're performing professionally, twenty-two hours a week isn't really enough.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

chelson

Post by chelson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:24 am

If relate Guitar playing to Gaming, 22hours is really nothing. Every pieces is like a gaming stage, and in fact Gamers are spending much more than that. In the past when Computer is slow and not easily available, what do we do? Play Guitar lor. It's free and healthy. Most important, 100% environmental friendly!!!
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

jkircoff

Post by jkircoff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 pm

I've often read posts and stories that suggest students of the guitar can only be good if they practice hours upon hours per day. This is not a realistic option for almost anyone, as work, school, family, and other commitments must be satisfied first before the study of guitar can be performed, and comments suggesting this tend to discourage students. It is possible to learn guitar and good sounding music based on a "realistic" practice schedule.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 pm

You can keep your TV if you don't have a spouse and/or a job. Although I don't recommend getting rid of them if you already have either one. :wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:08 pm

jkircoff wrote:I've often read posts and stories that suggest students of the guitar can only be good if they practice hours upon hours per day. This is not a realistic option for almost anyone, as work, school, family, and other commitments must be satisfied first before the study of guitar can be performed, and comments suggesting this tend to discourage students. It is possible to learn guitar and good sounding music based on a "realistic" practice schedule.
i am not suggesting that one should practice the guitar 22 hours a week. i was asked by several of my students how many hours per
week i practice and they didn't believe me. it is a minor miracle to have students who practice everyday. the average practice time
of most students is less than half an hour a day. my student who is preparing for his grade 8 exam this summer averages two hours a day.

i will suggest that for for anyone who has learnt how to practice efficently and productively it still requires enormous time and energy to fully master
the instrument. this means going beyond what is reasonable,realistic, practical or normal. it means making sacrifices in terms of all the extras in life
beyond necessities. so much of what people may regard as necessity is actually rationalisation and choice.

what tends to discourage students is the realisation that whatever level of mastery they wish to acheive requires a corresponding level of commitment.
perhaps the bright ones realise this and drop off. and the deluded, stubborn and the refuse to ever give up students carry on... like me.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:08 pm

I totally agree with you choctawchas...

It all boils down to do with what one wants to get out of it. In the end you get out what you put into it and for anyone that is looking for mastery of the instrument and/or a significant repertoire needs to be willing to devote a significant amount of time to its study. This goes for pretty much anything. For those that are looking to have a enjoyable hobby 22 hours may not be realistic but likewise it is not realistic to expect mastery with a few minutes a day or an hour or two a few times a week.

I have known several 'hobbyists' that became discouraged and abandoned it after a short time due to not being able to play great concert masterpieces after a few months of 15-30 minutes a day practice. These same guys may have continued to enjoy it had they stayed within the attainable repertoire suited for this level of commitment and eventually would have probably had tons of lovely pieces in their bag of tricks instead of spending months trying to play asturias (for example) with no success. Perhaps realism is the most important key to success (not just with the guitar but with any endeavor).

I just returned after a very long break. A lot of reasons that led up to that (taking a break) but perhaps the primary was not having been willing to put the time needed into technical studies and development necessary to play the pieces I was working so hard to play so poorly. And I even put a considerable amount of time into practice back then, just not into development. So not only a realistic attitude but a realistic approach as well are needed. One reason why having a teacher is such an important element... TO avoid spinning one's wheels and to get the most out of the time that they do put into it.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Philip.Lawson

Post by Philip.Lawson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50 am

[quote="robin loops"

It all boils down to do with what one wants to get out of it. In the end you get out what you put into it and for anyone that is looking for mastery of the instrument and/or a significant repertoire needs to be willing to devote a significant amount of time to its study. This goes for pretty much anything. For those that are looking to have a enjoyable hobby 22 hours may not be realistic but likewise it is not realistic to expect mastery with a few minutes a day or an hour or two a few times a week.
[/quote]

Hear hear. Couldn't have said it better!

As an aside I have some students that don't seem to understand practice -at all- at this stage every lesson we have is a supervised practice session.
A few years ago I was talking to one student about practice and they were absolutely shocked that I practiced most days! They told me that a little bit before the lesson was fine, because they learnt the song in the lesson last week anyway :shock: I hadn't been teaching long, and was left gobsmacked..........

kkruecke

Post by kkruecke » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:23 am

How do you people find the motivation to practice that much? I'm in awe.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:44 am

for me it's more to do with discipline than motivation. Discipline and routine. Routine helps a lot. Practice the same time every day. Have an organized practice routine, etc.

As far as motivation goes, some days I have none at all. Some days it just feels like punishment. That's why they call it discipline ;-)
-James-

kkruecke

Post by kkruecke » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Here's another question: how do get the routine established? I have been away from practising for ten years due to shoulder problems (which are now better). That's a long time.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”