How to Practice 22 hours a Week

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
orpheas

Re: How to Practice 22 hours a Week

Post by orpheas » Thu May 24, 2012 11:26 pm

I cut out the tube when I get home from work and play. I used to watch the TV all the time but I finally got the motivation again to play. I was Jazz based but wanted to go classical. It's new so it is like starting from scratch except I know scales and chords etc... but still a big learning curve so I need the practice if I want to sound any good.

FrankOliver

Post by FrankOliver » Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Recently I started lessons with an excellent teacher in NYC, Kevin Gallagher. I started off with playing just a few hours a day, but I soon realized that if I am going to make any significant progress, I need to practice several hours a day, which really translates to until I am able to play what I am taught, correctly. Two or three hours a day simply doesn't cut it, not for me. I have learned that if I truly want to learn, especially a piece I enjoy and truly desire to play, I need to play as many hours as it takes to get it. Of course I take breaks aplenty and spend some time with my wife. :wink: A goodly part of my practice (rather my rest time) is listening to the masters and to my teacher play and when possible, thanks to Youtube, watching them play. :D

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:19 pm

choctawchas wrote:cont.-

be honest and tell your significant other that music is more important than your relationship,marriage or civil partnership.

tell you children the same thing, they'll understand.
Wow, I hope you're joking, that's pretty extreme. I don't have a wife or kids, but if I did I could never tell them that music is more important than them, cause it isn't.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Evangelos Skropidas

Post by Evangelos Skropidas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 pm

I only practice my reading skills, as they are totally undeveloped. Anything related to technique gets practiced through pieces, more interesting that way. Nowdays I manage to practice after midnight for an hour or two, having a kid seriously hampers practice time. At least I have a definite goal, to be competent by the time he is 6 years old, that is in 3,5 years from now, plenty of time. A, he already asks me to play him Bach(good kid, smart as his father).

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:56 pm

glassynails wrote:

be honest and tell your significant other that music is more important than your relationship,marriage or civil partnership.

Wow, I hope you're joking, that's pretty extreme. I don't have a wife or kids, but if I did I could never tell them that music is more important than them, cause it isn't.
If one shared the opinion that music is more important than their family, and they were to suddenly find themselves without that family, then they may have a drastic change of opinion; but then it would be too late. :(
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:12 pm

If one shared the opinion that music is more important than their family, and they were to suddenly find themselves without that family, then they may have a drastic change of opinion; but then it would be too late.

If one shared the opinion that family is more important than music and suddenly found themselves without music in their lives, then they might have a
drastic change of opinion as well.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

Evangelos Skropidas

Post by Evangelos Skropidas » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 pm

But it wouldnt be too late, you can find music, you cant find a family.

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 pm

glassynails wrote:

The reason you don't have a wife or kids is because you spend 22 hours a week on the guitar forum.

You need to shut off you computer and go out and discover that giant world full of women, and who knows you might even find one who wants to hear you play Sor!
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

Evangelos Skropidas

Post by Evangelos Skropidas » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Every guitarist needs to have a wife and lover. The wife will be thinking that you are with your lover, your lover will be thinking that you are with your wife, while you will be with your guitar playing music. Problem solved.

robinfw

Post by robinfw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:30 am

How can you not play 22 hours a week?

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:44 am

choctawchas wrote:
glassynails wrote:

The reason you don't have a wife or kids is because you spend 22 hours a week on the guitar forum.

You need to shut off you computer and go out and discover that giant world full of women, and who knows you might even find one who wants to hear you play Sor!
I don't want a wife and kids.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

hopkinse

Post by hopkinse » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 pm

As a few people have said, practising for a great number of hours each day is neither healthy or beneficial to you.

I've just finished writing a thesis on this topic and have had to read a lot about practice methods/strategies and have personally observed a number of guitarists and you'd be surprised how quickly you can improve if you practice well, rather than simply throwing many many hours at a problem. You also learn better when you do focused, efficient practice as opposed to 8+ hours of so-so practice.

Personally, I practice anywhere from 4-7 hours a day and get a lot out of it however I think it's more beneficial to think in terms of how much you've achieved/the goals you set for yourself rather than the amount of time you've practised.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi hopkinse.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Bob Vasquez

Post by Bob Vasquez » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:41 pm

The answer is not to practice 22 hours per week. Instead "play" 22 plus hours per week, i.e., play your scales musically and rhythmically. Be creative with your studies; play them near the bridge apoyando every note and enjoy the different sounds. A little solfege with the melody or bass is a fun challenge. Play, play, play and you will exceed the 22 hours.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 pm

Better yet, perform 22 hours a week. The most I ever did on CG was 16 hours a week at a restaurant, for a year and a half. That was enough to fix just about any trouble. I was about level 7 when I started and a solid level 10 when my contract was over. Plus -I got a free dinner each night!
All the best,
Lare

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”