How to Practice 22 hours a Week

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Evangelos Skropidas

Re: How to Practice 22 hours a Week

Post by Evangelos Skropidas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 pm

Mr Larry I agree 100%. I am inexperienced so I cant really understand the reason, but it definitely is the best "practice" method. Excruciating at first, quite rewarding after you get the hang of it. Not to mention that the reason we play guitar is to make people around us happy, make them better, thats the point of art anyways. Also calling it "play" music is very useful, in Greek I never say "practice", I just say that I have to play guitar for a few hours.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 am

hopkinse wrote:... You also learn better when you do focused, efficient practice as opposed to 8+ hours of so-so practice.
Larry McDonald wrote:Better yet, perform 22 hours a week. The most I ever did on CG was 16 hours a week at a restaurant, for a year and a half. That was enough to fix just about any trouble. I was about level 7 when I started and a solid level 10 when my contract was over. Plus -I got a free dinner each night!
All the best,
Lare
Nothing like an audience to focus your attention. :lol:

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 am

Larry McDonald wrote:Better yet, perform 22 hours a week. The most I ever did on CG was 16 hours a week at a restaurant, for a year and a half. That was enough to fix just about any trouble. I was about level 7 when I started and a solid level 10 when my contract was over. Plus -I got a free dinner each night!
simonm wrote:Nothing like an audience to focus your attention. :lol:
Yeah there is: The flautist you're playing with stopping in mid-song and staring at you like you're an idiot.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:18 pm

jwp wrote:
simonm wrote:Nothing like an audience to focus your attention. :lol:
Yeah there is: The flautist you're playing with stopping in mid-song and staring at you like you're an idiot.
:shock: That must have been horrifying if it was in front of an audience. In practice, it would just be humiliating! :chaud:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Daniel Penalva » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 pm

For those who recommend 10h/day i would ask how they dont hurt themself (mainly when you are in the first years) ?

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:48 am

Really great post! Yes, I definitely should be playing a lot more than I do. I at least try to get in about one hour per day everyday though! Some days I increase it though. I haven't got up to that amount yet!

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 pm
Better yet, perform 22 hours a week. The most I ever did on CG was 16 hours a week at a restaurant, for a year and a half. That was enough to fix just about any trouble. I was about level 7 when I started and a solid level 10 when my contract was over. Plus -I got a free dinner each night!
All the best,
Lare
I have a regular hotel gig now Larry unfortunately they don't feed me anything.

:roll:
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:45 pm

choctawchas wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm
Larry McDonald wrote:
Better yet, perform 22 hours a week. The most I ever did on CG was 16 hours a week at a restaurant, for a year and a half. That was enough to fix just about any trouble. I was about level 7 when I started and a solid level 10 when my contract was over. Plus -I got a free dinner each night!
All the best,
Lare

How about free booze? :ivresse:
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar Instructor
Royal Conservatory Advanced Theory Instructor

tamfam

Post by tamfam » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm

I practice 10-15 hours a week. A typical day is two or three practice sessions of 20-60 minutes each.

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:45 pm
choctawchas wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm
Larry McDonald wrote:
All the best,
Lare

How about free booze? :ivresse:
:lol:
Oliver Moore 2012

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:19 am

Stop watching DVDs.

And games.

Set the alarm and get up an hour earlier than you normally do before going to work.

Take your guitar to work and play for your fellow employees ( added bonus- you will deal with anxiety issues).

When you go on holiday or away for the weekend, take your guitar with you and play for other people.
This is absolutely perfect advice. I don't practice 22 hours a week but I'd benefit if I did. I think I practice about 10.

I stopped watching TV the minute I started guitar (accidental, got tired of it after the election) no games, set alarm earlier to play in the morning, take guitar to work (I have the corner office so I can close the door) and to friends' houses. I do all that.

What I need to do is limit time with a considerable cohort of friends on Facebook. We added a group for just the women in our company and it's great--but a time sink.

I schedule my practice time and keep a notebook. I put in what I've done that day and any problems so I can bring them up at the lesson. I played piano 55 years but guitar is the most intentional type of music learning I've ever done. I'm not sure why unless it's because of the difficulty of "finding the notes." Unlike piano they aren't all there laid out in front of you.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm

I practice close to as-much-as-I-can, BUT, given that I also have/want to prioritize work, girlfriend, friends, vacation etc. I would not like to loose balance in life.

Well, on the other hand, needless to say that time-wasters like TV, watching sports, surfing the internet etc tend to zero.. :D ( extra award hahaha )

Practically, my "plan" leads to some - few - days with little if any practice time, but also reserves days for a few-hour practice time. I try to increase as possible when preparing for my lessons / concerts or exams, decreased now during summertime..

What helped me a lot is that I am very consistent with all the above for 3+ years now, trying to mix everything; exercises, old and new repertoire

I second the mentioned 1-2 hour sessions, then a repeat(s) if possible, it really maximizes the learning benefits.

My advice is just be consistent with a regular practice plan, even a general one like mine, and you will see great improvement even if you can't afford 7, 10 or more hours / day.. :)
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm

double post
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:19 pm

I read somewhere that you need one hour of practice a day to remain at the level you reached. That is an easy time target to incorporate into your daily schedule. I try to play two hours on working days and three or even more on the weekends. Teacher twice a month. The result is: I am improving my playing skills, slowly but steadily. I envy those who claim to practice five, six or even eight hours a day. I coulnd't do that, even if I had no family and job. I find it useless to continue with praciticing when you are getting tired and concentration starts fading away. It's even contradictory and can cause injuries to force yourself into a painful practicing corset. But of course, with students and profs it's a different issue.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

choctawchas

Post by choctawchas » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:23 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:19 pm
I read somewhere that you need one hour of practice a day to remain at the level you reached. That is an easy time target to incorporate into your daily schedule. I try to play two hours on working days and three or even more on the weekends. Teacher twice a month. The result is: I am improving my playing skills, slowly but steadily. I envy those who claim to practice five, six or even eight hours a day. I coulnd't do that, even if I had no family and job. I find it useless to continue with praciticing when you are getting tired and concentration starts fading away. It's even contradictory and can cause injuries to force yourself into a painful practicing corset. But of course, with students and profs it's a different issue.
I think everyone is built differently and has different needs in terms of time, commitment and levels.

Obviously concentration beyond 2-3 hours is an issue so even in a day, like today, where I have spent 9 hours working different learning/training
strategies I take a lot of time out to switch off the music brain and relax.

Physically, a solid technique and mechanism that is fully realised will mean playing for hours is possible without injury,
however the brain will tire even if the hands do not. Developing the ultra fine sensitivity is the key on when to proceed and when to stop..

The way to constantly improvement is to develop a consistent strategy but consistently alter it.

If I only have an hour in a day I will spend 50% of time on mechanism and technical exercises.

The best advice I can give to any and all students is to trust how your body feels and responds.

Ambition can be your worst enemy.

Beware!
Oliver Moore 2012

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”