building strength for barre chords

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
fast eddie

Re: building strength for barre chords

Post by fast eddie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:46 am

Here is my post on 'Fretted Hand Muscles'.
Several months before I began playing after a long absence, a hand muscle between my left thumb and index finger, just disappeared overnight. Went to a Neurologist who didn't give a reason for this but prescribed a rubber ball to squeeze to rebuild my remaining hand muscles. The muscle that disappeared is gone, so I'm stuck with that. I recently bought a hand exerciser online that allows me to exercise 4 fingers individually by squeezing buttons attached to 4 little springs. This has helped me a lot.

I am still having a lot of difficulty doing a barre and I believe it's the weakness in my left thumb. I am still working with the hand exerciser and playing as much as I can and both things help. These hand exercisers are available in different strengths (springs have different stiffness) and I'm on version #2 (extra light) and ready to move to #3.

Hope someone finds this useful.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:43 pm

I am also trying to do the infamous barre chord, I bu tam not there yet. First thing I started doing is to barre 3, 4, and 5 strings (not including the low E) and I can do that. All 6 strings are still a problem, so I did some reading on the web last night. Several people suggested placing your thumb on the lower part of the neck. Imagine a horizontal line down the center of the neck, your thumb should be below that line. Also they suggested adding a little more force between your thumb and the neck by using your chest to push. He emphasized that this does not need to be much force, just a little. I have not had a chance to try these yet, but am hopeful.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

dropbydrop

Post by dropbydrop » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:53 pm

jeff_hatcher wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:18 pm
Kevin Gallagher explains his approach in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYfdYto ... ontext-chv. I've found his suggestions useful.
Very interesting video along with this by Bradford Werner

https://youtu.be/BoRM9VlUgDg

:merci: :merci:
first comes right, than comes fast!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”