The curious case of John Williams

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Adrian Allan

Re: The curious case of John Williams

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:08 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:33 am
Hmm. I think I see what you mean. It seems unfair to expect a CG player to also be a good electric player but it does depend more on expressiveness and maybe you have a point. I've never heard him play an electric so have no comment.
I have seen quite a few clips, but I'm struggling to find one right now on Youtube. Bascially, the whole Sky venture to me seemed slightly uncomfortable and I don't think it has passed the test of time -ie. it sounds and looks (terrible sweaters) very 70s, whereas great music tends to sound timeless.

I have admiration for him testing the waters in rock music, but let's say it felt about as natural as Mike Tyson auditioning for the Royal Ballet.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Yes, Sky was close to being lift music sometimes. I heard him play an amplified nylon string with them but not an electric. If I was wanting to go and and earn some dosh I'd form a Sky-like band but change the repertoire.

Phil McKelliget

Post by Phil McKelliget » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:15 pm

I’ve heard Williams live on three occasions and they were the three best guitar recitals I’ve attended. He has the ability and, dare I say it, the charisma to fill a large space and command the attention of any audience. It helps that you know he isn’t going to screw up any minute; indeed, you can forget all about the technical challenge and just sit back and experience the music. For me his Smallman always sounds ravishing in the concert hall (although I don’t warm to it on his recordings). I saw Xuefei Yang recently and although I find her an amazing musician on record, and every bit Williams equal, on stage she had comparatively little presence and only half the volume; it felt as if someone was playing a guitar over there rather than feeling you were living inside the music.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”