How to analyse structure & - hear music in your head

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
lagartija

Re: How to analyse structure & - hear music in your head

Post by lagartija » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm

I went looking for the Ottman book in the Boston Public library but got there too late and the stacks were closed for reference books. However, the librarian sent me to the general collection where the solfege books were shelved and although I did not see the Ottman book that should have been there, there were several copies of the Kodaly book. In his introduction, he stated that he believed that a student should have a singer as a reference and never teach students to sing by using an instrument as the reference. He believes that singing will naturally come out right without the instrument and the temperament tuning of some instruments will mess this up.
Reading that is what lead me to think that getting a voice teacher might be the best route for me. Someone who could lead me in singing and I could follow. I am a very good mimic of sounds; I can call birds and frogs using vocalizations (because I cannot whistle) and get them to answer. So I know I am capable of making the sounds if I have a reference to copy. The problem is that I am not able to look at the note and hit the correct pitch or interval(yet). For me, descending pitches are the killer. A teacher may be able to help with that.
I also need to know the best ways to warm up those 58 year old vocal cords. 8) In the shower the other morning, I tried to sing do re mi.... and found that I had to sing the first three intervals ascending and descending a few times before adding another one. Rust had accumulated on my vocal cords over night! A cup of coffee did wonders to help, too! :lol:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Smith

Post by Smith » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:46 pm

I think I will sign up for the Jeannie Deva Singing School through the ArtistWorks Video Exchange. Short easy drills, personal feedback, convenient, and inexpensive.

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:54 am

Lawler wrote:Audiation is such an important thing for every musician. Edwin Gordon created the term and had some other brilliant ideas about music learning as well. Anyone would do well to learn everything they can about audiation, IMO, and apply it daily re how they work in their practicing. Singing the lines of the music is a big part of it and the funny thing is, really, that it's a very old technique of instrumental practicing that goes way back, though it's often ignored in modern day teaching.
Aaron Shearer's technique involves counting and solfege extensively Before even picking up the guitar. It is a part of the Pre-Reading Technique, very beneficial
La Patrie Collection/LaBella 2001 Extra Hard Tension

~ You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body ~
C.S. Lewis

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:59 am

This is a great topic. Thank you to all who have contributed. I learn so much here just being a fly on the wall!

I listened to an immensely interesting radio program some months ago that dealt with the neuroscience-based evaluation of a man who is uniquely gifted in regard to this very skill. I'm under the impression that I'm not to post links directly here, but the entirety of the show is available online if you search for "A head full of symphonies." The radio show it was on is titled "radiolab" on public radio.

I'd be very interested in the thoughts of any and all about this fascinating case study.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

robert e

Post by robert e » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks for the tip, BellyDoc. Radiolab is a noncommercial nonprofit so I think the link is permitted:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/301427-he ... ymphonies/

Thanks everyone who contributed advice to this thread. This is an area I've struggled to approach in a coherent fashion and you've given me a lot to think about and work with. I've been using Alain Benbessat's Functional Ear Trainer app, which has convinced me that I can identify scale degrees by ear and improve with practice, and this thread has reminded me of musictheory.net, which has many ear training tools, including fingerboard-based ones.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”