Music is made up of consonance and dissonance

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
glassynails

Music is made up of consonance and dissonance

Post by glassynails » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Just think, all music is composed of consonance and dissonance. When a chord "pulls" you into the next chord there is dissonance and when it resolves to the next chord there is consonance.

When a piece of music usually ends first there is some dissonance and finally a resolve to consonance.

When someone plays a very dissonant chord people will usually think of that chord as "unsettling", "ugly", "noisy", etc. The reason is that it is dissonant and is pulling us in various "directions" musically, it creates strife and anxiety in our minds.

Humans generally don't like dissonance because of that "push and pull" and don't like to hang out there long and that's why music works if you stop and think about it because of all the "push and pull" going on. If it wasn't for dissonance and consonance there wouldn't be music just monotony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consonance_and_dissonance
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

sxedio

Re: Music is made up of consonance and dissonance

Post by sxedio » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:17 pm

glassynails wrote: When someone plays a very dissonant chord people will usually think of that chord as "unsettling", "ugly", "noisy", etc. The reason is that it is dissonant and is pulling us in various "directions" musically, it creates strife and anxiety in our minds.
I guess all those jazz lovers are masochists.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

stevel

Post by stevel » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Patently untrue.

Music existed for centuries, and potentially millenia before the advent of Harmony in Western Europe, and co-existed with it in other cultures.

Gregorian Chant (or Plainchant, Chant or Monophony) existed for hundreds of years before the advent of harmony and many people find this music to be quite beautiful and not "monotonous" at all. And it's ONLY melody.

Music of other cultures didn't have harmony either. The ideas of consonance and dissonance in a harmonic context do not apply. And still, there are vast numbers of works that are beautiful, not monotonous, etc.

It might be better to say that (and still potentially not accurate) music is made up of "tension and release". Dissonance and consonance are but one of many ways of creating tension and release in music.

Steve

Max Karios

Post by Max Karios » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:36 pm

There is an analogy to life here. Tension and resolution is what you experience all the time. With too much tension comes pain, with too much resolution boredom. Music reproduces this, but in a way the process is inverted. The emotions that music stirs do not come from biological needs or from other people forcing their will on you but from the reflection of the conscious mind, which makes them much more pleasant. Tension in music is not really painful and resolution is more satisfying.

This is probably the reason why people try to find metaphysical explanations for the effects of music, why it can be used to manipulate the emotional state of a listener (shopping malls and film music), and why it can be a means for catharsis (Heavy Metal).

How much consonance or dissonance is enough or too much is different from person to person. And it changes over time. My perception of dissonance changed quite a bit when I heard "Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares" for the first time. These recordings might be the most beautiful music ever produced on this planet. And at times this music is so dissonant with its parallel second intervalls and non-tempered intonation that it makes your hair stand on end. There can be beauty in dissonance, that is for sure.

ruizpipo

Post by ruizpipo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:10 pm

To put it simply:

"One Man's Dissonance is another Man's Consonance!"

:D

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:32 pm

stevel wrote:Patently untrue.

Steve

Yeah, but even a simple melody has tension and release I think. One note can be dissonant when related to another in a separate space and time. Sort of like the sound of one hand clapping. It still all has to do with tension and release, which is what dissonance and consonance are all about.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:25 pm

glassynails wrote:Just think, all music is composed of consonance and dissonance. When a chord "pulls" you into the next chord there is dissonance and when it resolves to the next chord there is consonance.

When a piece of music usually ends first there is some dissonance and finally a resolve to consonance.

When someone plays a very dissonant chord people will usually think of that chord as "unsettling", "ugly", "noisy", etc. The reason is that it is dissonant and is pulling us in various "directions" musically, it creates strife and anxiety in our minds.

Humans generally don't like dissonance because of that "push and pull" and don't like to hang out there long and that's why music works if you stop and think about it because of all the "push and pull" going on. If it wasn't for dissonance and consonance there wouldn't be music just monotony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consonance_and_dissonance
I think the absence of the consonance and dissonance dualism is the reason a lot of people do not enjoy too much contemporary music (atonal, serialism etc.).

Luisrah

Post by Luisrah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:05 pm

glassynails wrote:
stevel wrote:Patently untrue.

Steve

Yeah, but even a simple melody has tension and release I think. One note can be dissonant when related to another in a separate space and time. Sort of like the sound of one hand clapping. It still all has to do with tension and release, which is what dissonance and consonance are all about.
Exactly.

Eventhough you might just have one melody, that melody is capable of producing tension. If you are in C, there is relatively little tension if you sing an E, but a B is certainly tense and pushes you to resolve back to C.

Jim Thompson

Post by Jim Thompson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:04 pm

I also remember ...
Max Karios wrote:when I heard "Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares" for the first time.
It felt like I was being ripped in two, and slowly put back together. Glorious.

Thanks for a great thread.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:31 pm

I thought music was made up of sound and silence. Consonance and dissonance are merely the steps in the dance between sound and silence...
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

khayes

Post by khayes » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Scot Tremblay wrote:I thought music was made up of sound and silence. Consonance and dissonance are merely the steps in the dance between sound and silence...
Well, it is made up of sound and silence...and a whole bunch of other things. Just sound and silence is not music necessarily, but I'm not sure that's what you're really saying Scot...although the way you said it is quite poetic.
Ken

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:21 pm

I was just crudely paraphrasing one of my teachers in University...I think the phrase went something more like this, which is probably still not exactly the way she said it either..."Music is a dance between sound and silence, all the stuff - consonance, dissonance, rhythm, pitch, chord, melody....are just the footsteps that allows us to express that dance..."
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Daniel Penalva » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:15 pm

What make a dissonance in a chord ?
That question is different from "What is dissonance in music ?", since its more punctual. The tension-settling thing of tonal music, that i suppose is a aural thing, is not of concern to a chord alone.

I have been reading some texts books that says some intervals are dissonant, and that dissonance goes on intervals up to 13th (the 6th from the next octave). So why is that dissonance goes until 13th but not 14th ? Why 10th(octave above 3th) is dissonant but 12th(octave above 5th) not Why some intervals render a chord dissonant and others not ?

There must be a answer that is partially physical-aesthetical(must resolve tension thing and maybe other matters).

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Daniel Penalva wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:15 pm
What make a dissonance in a chord ?
That question is different from "What is dissonance in music ?", since its more punctual.
More specific, maybe. The standard explanation of dissonance is that it is caused by beating between two frequencies. If you search for just intonation lissajous on YT you will find an explanation of beating and some demonstrations.

I have been reading some texts books that says some intervals are dissonant, and that dissonance goes on intervals up to 13th (the 6th from the next octave). So why is that dissonance goes until 13th but not 14th ? Why 10th(octave above 3th) is dissonant but 12th(octave above 5th) not Why some intervals render a chord dissonant and others not ?
I don't really understand this. I wouldn't call a 10th dissonant but I think you have to let the ear judge how much the notes clash. I wouldn't say that they do in the case of a 10th or a perfect 12th, although the 10th has more personality. A diminished 12th definitely clashes. This is more or less in line with how much the intervals in question beat, which is what makes the beating theory plausible. The trouble is that a diminished 12th in a low register beats less than (say) a minor third in a high register, but is more dissonant, so beating can't be the whole story.
There must be a answer that is partially physical-aesthetical(must resolve tension thing and maybe other matters).
Up to you to come up with it, then. The physical answer isn't very convincing. I think that it is important to distinguish between auditory phenomena and musical phenomena, and that any theory which fails to draw this distinction is unlikely to get very far. Beating is an auditory phenomenon so I am not surprised to find that dissonance, which is a musical phenomenon, is related but not the same. Perhaps what I mean by musical rather than auditory is the same as what you mean by physical-aesthetic.

The 'must resolve' thing is interesting because not all dissonance produces a need to resolve, at least not in all contexts. Some dissonance adds colour while some adds impetus. This is obviously important in music but is not very well explained.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Heavy metal is a means for catharsis? More like, creates a need for catharsis. One mans's consonance...

(although I suppose a primal scream is an attempt at catharsis. But listening to someone else primally scream--play heavy metal--not so much. For me!)
Sorry for the thread drift.

I wonder if time is still more fundamental to music than silence, consonance and dissonance--a sort of ground. Possibly even time without space.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”