Bad habits – what are yours?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Dave G Brown

Re: Bad habits – what are yours?

Post by Dave G Brown » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:54 am

Ignoring/allowing excessive tension in my hands while playing fast pieces or passages. Tension seems to build up as the piece progresses till I can barely play but I'm so absorbed in the music that I don't notice.

dbeau

Post by dbeau » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:56 am

Reading this forum when I should be playing

Guitarius-61

Post by Guitarius-61 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:16 am

My really bad habit is a belief I can achieve something meaningful about playing guitar without solid, everyday practice. All my guitar experience is telling me it is not a way to become any better but still I take another new piece of music and struggle to conquer it. So, after many years of playing I actually can`t play nothing at performance level. Pretty bad situation you have to admit.

Izaac

Post by Izaac » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:10 am

Being too hard on myself and beating myself up is by far my worst habit, and probably the worst habit I see in other musicians around me.

guitarp

Post by guitarp » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:12 pm

I put too much tension in both hands :( this is very bad for my accuracy and stamina. I often tend to get slower during the piece.

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:38 pm

All of the above
More guitars than 1 boy could ever possibly need

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Bill wrote:All of the above
ditto
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

wevard

Post by wevard » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:10 pm

1) I often lift my left index too far from the fingerboard when I'm not fretting with it.
2) When I'm playing scales with alternating i,m, I tend to relax the thumb and not keep it planted on an adjacent string, to the point that it sometimes touches my index.
3) for sure I have other bad habits, I'm not yet aware of them. I'll probably know by the end of the year once I get to play for my former teacher.

Jersey Devil

Post by Jersey Devil » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 pm

edcat7 wrote:
Bill wrote:All of the above
ditto
re ditto

Actually my worse bad habit is daydreaming. I once read somewhere that the human brain can only totally focus on one thing at a time. It can switch "channels" with remarkable speed which gives us the illusion that we are multi tasking...but in reality we never get to concentrate on what is at hand. When I play a piece that I have confidence in I assume that my muscle memory and experience will get me through, but I constantly have to remember to pay attention to what I am doing. Can't be playing the guitar and fishing at the same time :)

Cass Couvelas

Post by Cass Couvelas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm

guitarp wrote:I put too much tension in both hands :( this is very bad for my accuracy and stamina. I often tend to get slower during the piece.
If it doesn't build up in your hands, it'll build up somewhere else – with me, it attacks my face. My hands can be really quite relaxed – at least when I'm playing for myself – but I'm aware that all the tension is around my mouth, with takes on a seriously downward turn. Basically, I gurn when concentrating!
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

P_Pow

Post by P_Pow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:07 am

Oooh there's some much that could be said...
My worst habit is becoming tense when I'm nervous: shoulders, arms, hands, the lot. I find the best way to combat it is to be "non-judgementally" aware (inner game of tennis anyone?). Essentially just noticing what is happening without saying whether it's good or bad in my head. That simple awareness will often lead mean to relax very naturally because if I start criticizing myself or telling myself things like "you have to relax now" "stop tensing your shoulders" I just get more nervous and more tense.

jgcov

Post by jgcov » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:35 pm

choro wrote:STMPS .....Starting too many pieces Syndrom

I start to many pieces and most time when I get bored or I hear another beautiful piece I stop finishing it.

From 10 pieces I finish in the average 6.
Amen to that!

Jim C.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:06 am

Red wine! :oops:

Seriously though, trying to play pieces too fast too soon instead of slowing right down and playing thoughtfully through the tricky bits (or as I have already put it in another thread - the trickyerandos :shock: ). I notice I'm not the only one in this forum who does this.

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

qwerim

Post by qwerim » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:12 pm

i sit incorrectly. that because i'm too heavy to go and sit correctly. thats changing the hand position and the muscle tonus i believe...

barcelona

Post by barcelona » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 pm

No sticking to the classical guitar sitting position and alternating with the guitar on my right thigh. The angle of attack in the right hand changes considerably and that can mess me up when I'm back to the classical position.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”