D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Angela,

I agree with others. Your Carcassi was very good! :bravo:

In Barrios there were some rhythmic issues, as already pointed out, especially near the end of the first section, and you seemed to struggle with measures 15-16. There's already an issue with harmonics in measures 42 and 44. Note that those are 5th fret harmonics, meaning that the pitch of the harmonic should be the same as 'a' played in 1st string 5th fret. It can be played on 5th string near the bridge, as professor Delcamp does, or on 4th string roughly where the fretboard ends (fret 19), which is easier in my opinion. It was a very good effort though!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Postby Angela Zhao » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks Jesus, Rick and Marko

Jesus
About the SALTARELLO,I try to use fingers as the score show,but on M13-15, it's not easy for me to let D on 5th, I prefer on open 4th, casue my hand is small can't extend to let every note clearly,though try so many times, it's not satisfy. And on other Measure I play D on 5th.However, thank you advice.

About the image, I use software change the mirror image, at last, it's the correct image! :D

Rick
Thank your encourage! Your are right, I'll varying your tone on Salterello!

Marko
I'm not notice the M42 M44, the A on 5th fret, as on M41and M43 they are all A, I thought they play the same, Though I noticed the video of Delcamp has different, I don't know why. I wonder the "a" is different in M41and M42? Does it is just in pitch? Thank you give me direction. and on M15-16 maybe I'm not play it fluent, I'll fix it.

:merci:

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:37 am

5th fret harmonics are one octave higher than 12th fret ones. That's the difference. But as I previously said, the same harmonic (pitch) can be played from various places, so don't take "5th fret" too literally.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm confused. Isn't it just played at the fifth fret as a natural harmonic? Touch with 4 pluck with the rh. That looks to me how JFD does it.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:I'm confused. Isn't it just played at the fifth fret as a natural harmonic? Touch with 4 pluck with the rh. That looks to me how JFD does it.

Hi Rick
I think it play on 5th string on fifth fret as a natural harmonic,your right hand must play near bridge, or you play on the 4th string on fifth fret as a natural harmonic, your right hand play on 19th fret.

I try it ,I think play on 5th string more easier, but your right hand must move quickly,and play on 4th string,the pitch is higher than play on 5th string.

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:06 am

Rick, using left hand fingers 2 and 4 to stop the 5th string at its 5th fret natural harmonic node like JFD does is certainly an option, but as Angela pointed out it requires the right hand to move near the bridge to get a good harmonic sound, and the movement back and forth is difficult to do in performance tempo, having to play the accompaniment chords while moving the hand.

I prefer 4th string 7th fret natural harmonic (for practical reasons stopped at 19th fret), as the position where the string should be plucked is less critical than when using 5th string 5th fret harmonic node. Another option that I've used in the past is 3rd string 2nd fret artificial harmonic (fretted at 2nd fret, stopped at 14th fret), but it naturally requires some modification to left hand fingering (M42 barre over string 1-3, M44 perhaps use finger 2 to fret 3rd string).

Angela Zhao wrote:or you play on the 4th string on fifth fret as a natural harmonic, your right hand play on 19th fret.

I try it ,I think play on 5th string more easier, but your right hand must move quickly,and play on 4th string,the pitch is higher than play on 5th string.

I think you must be doing it wrong. When playing the harmonic on the 4th string, there's no need to fret the 5th fret. Just use the open string, stop the string at 19th fret with right hand thumb, and play with 'a' finger just like you do with the rest of harmonics. The pitch should be exactly the same as when playing 5th string 5th fret natural harmonic.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 am

Yes Marko
I try on 4th string, on 19th fret with open string ,it's pitch is same with fret on 5th fret on 5 string.
It can let right hand move quickly, these two kind of harmonic all can be plaied. :D
:merci:

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:33 am

I get about the same sound/volume whether I play it at the V or IXX fret no matter where I pluck it, so I think I'll go with V. My problem is more with the other harmonic notes and finding just the right place to damp with the thumb, and giving just the right pluck, to get a clean note. This will take more than a month to master methinks.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:41 am

I vaguely remember learning the Carcassi Etude III years ago, but long forgot it. Here it is, a tad slow with a few glitches.

Youtube

Saltarello is another piece I learned in 1981. Rather than learn a new version of fingering, I stuck with my old fingerings but with the open basses but the Delcamp arrangement. I just didn't want to spend time on re-learning it, a la Guardame Las Vacas, since it wasn't assigned for exam qualification. Besides I need to time to work on El Sueno harmonics. There are coming along but slowly. I will have a recording by the end of the lesson, but it probably won't be near finished. It took me years to get the harmonics down in El Testamen de N'Amelia (coming up soon?).

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 am

Hi Rick
The two songs you play are all fluent!
on Saltarello I think you should use damp, though you play open string, but still need to damp. The Delcamp play the bass note are all clean, and that make the song very rhythm, you can try it! :D

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 am

Thank you Angela. I think he implied damping is optional. Most (actually all) players I've heard play this play the open bass strings and that's how I originally learned it long ago. As I said I need to budget my time for the harmonics on La Sueno, which you mastered so easily I might add! :D
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:00 am

:bravo: Rick! Very impressive Saltarello. Carcassi study is going well too. There were some hesitations, but nothing too bad. Perhaps some more dynamics would be called for, as I think studying dynamics is one of the major points in that study. It's technically relatively straightforward.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks Marko. They're there, just inaudible on the recording. Something I need to work on more, varying my dynamics enough so that I'm not the only one who can hear the difference! The guitar has such a narrow range of volume i need to emphasize the differences more.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:02 am

The Doll's Dream. This is NOT done yet (obviously). :aide: but I wanted to get something down before the new lesson emerges. It is kind of hard to listen to. I'll post a new version in a few days. Improved execution is coming now that I have it pretty well learned. Harms are still a challenge.
El Sueno.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

vincent martin

Postby vincent martin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Esteban Crespi wrote:I have recorded it to get your impression, and to be sure I haven't mangled some part in these years.

Nice version Esteban, I like your impro at the end :lol:
the difficulty of the piece is the dynamics; that you highlight well, and the position change from M22 to M23; you need to be quick there

well done
D05 - French Forum

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”