D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:16 am

Nelson Lee wrote: Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D01-01 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Slowing the tempo and internalizing the beat. My last videos had the metronome beating in background.
2. Also, Slowing down allowed me to concentrate on fingering, picking, and rhythm.
2. Keeping my left hand pinky bent in order to have better fingering technique.

I choose to focus on the things above, since Binh, Lucian, Dustin, and John, gave me feedback that directed me to work on these issues. Many thanks for their feedback and support.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Regards, Nelson.

P6 1 Cordes A Vide

Youtube

P6 2 Cordes A Vide

Youtube

P8 A La Claire Fontaine

Youtube

P9 Old Mac Donald

Youtube

P10 Au Clair De La Lune

Youtube

P10 Il Est Minuit

Youtube

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:51 am

Nelson Lee wrote: Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D01-01

Please feel free to give me feedback. Regards, Nelson.
Good job Nelson, your rhythm and left hand little finger are getting better. :bravo:

One more thing, I notice when you play bass notes using your right hand thumb, you change your right hand stance. You lower your right hand wrist to play bass notes and raise your wrist to play high notes.

Look at 0:12 of this video, you can see that movement

Youtube

Your right hand should be stable, only your fingers move. You don't want to move your wrist to play bass notes.

Look at this video, Mr. Delcamp uses his thumb a lot and but the shape of his hand doesn't change.

Youtube

Hope this helps.

Overall you're getting better. Keep it up Nelson. I have the feeling that when playing high notes, you use your thumb as an anchor to feel more secure, to know where the strings are. And you use other fingers (index, middle) as anchors when playing bass note. That's why I said you change "stance" .

Try to play "floating hand", your right hand fingers in default position don't touch any string, like in this video:

Youtube

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:One more thing, I notice when you play bass notes using your right hand thumb, you change your right hand stance. You lower your right hand wrist to play bass notes and raise your wrist to play high........Try to play "floating hand", your right hand fingers in default position don't touch any string..........
Hi Binh,

Thanks for the feedback. You are right about my right hand. I have been resting my fingers on the string to keep track of where the strings are. I will change this and play with a "floating hand".

Holy cow! Those videos you linked were amazing. The ease and grace of their right hand technique, especially our teacher, were inspirational.

Awesome support at your end, thanks again, Nelson.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:04 pm

You are more than welcome, I'm glad I could help. And thank you for your grammar correction. Happy practicing Nelson! :)

Juan Carlos Nieto

Post by Juan Carlos Nieto » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:03 am

Hi everybody,

Here are my videos for lesson 1:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Thanks in advance for the feedback,

JC

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:16 am

Juan Carlos Nieto wrote:Here are my videos for lesson 1:
Hi JC, I've updated the index with your submission.

Your recordings were great with very accurate rhythm :bravo:

The only critique I have for you is that you missed the repeat of the first part in Au clair de la lune.

Keep up the good work!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi JC,

Nice to meet you. Nice job and I second the excellent rhythm. My only suggestion would be to limit your head bobbing. I think you are keeping the beat that way. Try using your big toe to keep the beat, so that you can use your head (face) to express dynamics of the piece. Keep up the good work... Courage! Nelson.

Dustin McKinney

Post by Dustin McKinney » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:05 pm

JC,

I'm a head bobber. There is nothing wrong with finding your groove. You'll eventually internalize the beat, but even then, you'll move your head and body, and that's ok!
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

Stacey Watson

Post by Stacey Watson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:46 pm

Nice posture and excellent rhythm, JC! I like that your wrist on your left hand stays nice and straight. Regarding the head bobbing...it would definitely be good not to get in the habit of using your head to keep rhythm. A toe or a small movement with the foot is better as down the road a head bob would distract from an otherwise beautiful performance. I still struggle with overcoming a head bobbing habit that I started when I was a beginner at cello so the longer you rely on it, the harder it will be to replace it with something else. You might try tapping a toe or foot in time with a metronome at a very slow tempo and then gradually increase the tempo.

But in all, I think you did an amazing job!

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:49 pm

Happy New Year to all and very nice work JC, welcome to the online lessons.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Juan Carlos Nieto

Post by Juan Carlos Nieto » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi everybody,

Thanks to all for your kind words and positive criticism. I'm very lucky to be part of this group.
I agree that the head bobbing has to go (especially after seeing myself in the videos). I usually count with my foot, since this is my natural way of counting time and started doing this unconsciously when I first started counting time. I used my head instead for the videos because using my foot moves the guitar a little bit (because I raise the heel instead of the tip of my foot). However, I'll definetely go back to using my foot, I just won't raise it too high so that it doesn't move the guitar too much. Thanks again for your feedback guys, this method is a very smart way of getting rid of bad habits that we can't notice on our own. I guess it's a kind of mutualism to rid each other of our bad habits.

Thanks to all for the encouragement guys, and DON'T STOP PRACTICING

JC

Thomas Drummond
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Post by Thomas Drummond » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:32 am

Am I supposed to learn all this in 1 week?
it says to do it for 1 week in the first page. But the lessons are 1 month apart. please help.
I cant learn all that in 1 week. Is there something im missing?

Im 2 weeks in, on the same songs, and im almost done, but its going to take 3-4 weeks a lesson.
Is that correct? I know im very behind but I wish to still go through it.
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Dustin McKinney

Post by Dustin McKinney » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 am

Each lesson is a month. Since you're late to the game, you will want to be diligent so as to try to catch up, but don't rush learning the basics. A house built on a shaky foundation is never structurally strong!
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

Thomas Drummond
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Post by Thomas Drummond » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:32 am

Thank you!

Im 5 months behind, at this point my goal is to finish with the class, and enroll for year 2 this coming September!
5 months is likely too far behind to catch up, and make any meaningful foundation skills relevant.

even if i took 3 weeks to a lesson that would still be 15 weeks (4 months)
and by that time, id be 4 months behind still.

So.. finish by august, and enroll for September!
Thank you!
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Craig McCallum

Post by Craig McCallum » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:29 pm

samljer wrote:Thank you!

Im 5 months behind, at this point my goal is to finish with the class, and enroll for year 2 this coming September!
5 months is likely too far behind to catch up, and make any meaningful foundation skills relevant.

even if i took 3 weeks to a lesson that would still be 15 weeks (4 months)
and by that time, id be 4 months behind still.

So.. finish by august, and enroll for September!
Thank you!
I'm just beginning to work through the lessons - after getting my guitar set up, tonight will be my first time to sit down and actually try to play - and I'm thinking largely the same about working through the lessons up to September and then enrolling for the start of D02 in September.

I'd encourage you to still post recordings of your progress to these lesson threads for D01 - if there are 2 of us working through the same lessons, at least we'll be there to give each other feedback :)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”