D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
FrankORegan

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by FrankORegan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks Ryan

Sorted out the playability issue with John Montes's superb assistance. Great to hear your thoughts.
Ryan Bassette wrote:Frank,

Unfortunately all 4 videos are unplayable; this 'may' be as simple as not having set them to public (I did this once and wondered for a week why I had no comments).

I'm in a similar boat with starting late (I'm just finishing up D01 Lesson 03) and doing so as a stay-at-home Dad with a 3 year old...have to squeeze in practice late at night and/or nap time and, unlike with the electric, I can't wear headphones with this guitar (well technically I could, but this would be understandably foolish), so I can empathize with the circumstances definitely.

Look forward to seeing your videos,

Ryan
Frank

Cordoba C7

Minh-Man Nguyen
Student of the online lessons

Post by Minh-Man Nguyen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 am

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:38 am

Minh Man Nguyen wrote:Hi everyone! :D
Hi Minh, are you wanting to participate in the online lessons?

Typically, prospective students post their requests to become a student and meet the minimum qualifications before posting videos or commentary in the lesson forums :-)

Can you review the conditions for registering and let us know how you have publicized the lessons?
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Minh-Man Nguyen

Post by Minh-Man Nguyen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:47 am

Hi John, I've already read the conditions for registering. And i have done before that.
Is there any problem?
Please help me!
Thank John!
:merci:

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:52 am

Nice work Minh, good posture, rhythm and relaxed hands. You may try to tap your big toe instead of the whole foot. If you tap the whole foot, your foot will be tired soon and the foot tapping sound is not pleasant and distract your audience.

Keep it up!

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:57 am

Minh Man Nguyen wrote:
Can you let us know how or where you have publicized the lessons, as part of the conditions?
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Minh-Man Nguyen

Post by Minh-Man Nguyen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:19 am

I posted the poster on twitter and I used real name to register on the forum. :D
Here: http://2.pik.vn/2017a9ae3b44-dded-4a1e- ... 7cad0b.png

Minh-Man Nguyen

Post by Minh-Man Nguyen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:26 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:Nice work Minh, good posture, rhythm and relaxed hands. You may try to tap your big toe instead of the whole foot. If you tap the whole foot, your foot will be tired soon and the foot tapping sound is not pleasant and distract your audience.

Keep it up!
Thanks for your comment! :D

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Nice work Minh,
If you can record and submit 'Au clair de la lune' you will have all 3 of the required submissions for this lesson.
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) : CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING (page 6)
Anonyme : Old Mac Donald
Anonyme : Il est minuit

Good luck!
:( + ♫ = :)

Minh-Man Nguyen

Post by Minh-Man Nguyen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:52 am

Hello everyone!
1/ PAGE 10 ANONYME AU CLAIRDE LALUNE on line 1, bar 3 why play the third string, fret 4 instead of playing the second string.
2/ PAGE 10 ANONYME IL EST MINUIT in line 2 has 2 places with hyphens.
3/ I know the asterisk is off the front note, but I do not see anyone teaching this technique. Is that the style of the professor Delcamp?
4/ Where can I learn these symbols on this web? Please suggest me a book to find out about it!
Thank you vey much! :merci: :merci: :merci:

Phil Lewis

Post by Phil Lewis » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi Minh,
My thoughts - may be wrong...

1. There is a difference in tonality between an open and a stopped string. It's common to play a stopped rather than open string. Also, it's good practice for the fingers :)

2. I'm not sure about the hyphens? It may be emphasising to let the first note play its full length, and to not stop it ringing by preparing the right hand finger on the string too soon?

3. I think this is something the professor is teaching from very early. One of the issues with the kind of note sequence shown, is that sometimes the G can be left ringing when the F# is played, making this a half note instead of a quarter. So it's kind of the opposite of point 2 where the note was cut short - here it can be left too long. Not many teachers bring this up so soon, and often kind of rely on the ability to mute strings to magically emerge.

4. I think the hyphens and asterisk are the professors own embellishments for the purpose of teaching. I'm not sure you'll find them in a book?

Hope that helps.
Admira Artista - with a nasty ding

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:37 am

Hi Minh,

Q1 - Phil touched on it a bit. The 4 note phrase of quarter notes can be much easier to accomplish without needing to do anything extra in terms of string muting/damping by using the suggested fingering of playing the B with a string depress versus an open string. One could play it as you mention using the B open-string, the only trade off consideration is that the note length could linger if not muted when the next note in the sequence needs to be played.

Its not impossible to pull off and an experienced player can do it.

Q2 - The hyphens are not explained in the D01 workbook, but if you access the D02 workbook, p4 the explanation is " the fingers of the left hand are not lifted but remain in place on the fingerboard"

Q3 - The Damper symbol is explained in the D01 workbook p4 "Damp the preceding note", The Dampening symbol in measure 7 (m7) of Au Claire De La Lune indicates to dampen the predeeding G note before playing the F# note

Q4 - see answers to Q3 and Q4 :-)
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Minh-Man Nguyen

Post by Minh-Man Nguyen » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Thank you Phil and John very much!
So I play note G on string 2 or string 3 if I have not been suggested.
For instance ANONYME LONDON'S BURNING (page 12).
Thank you! :merci: :merci: :merci:

Phil Lewis

Post by Phil Lewis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Threw me there for a minute! The notes you have highlighted ar B, not G!

Personally, the last two notes I would play open second string to match the previous B's in this bar, and because it's losing.

Only my thoughts...
Admira Artista - with a nasty ding

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”