D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:32 am
Hi friends, it's been long time :)

Here is my 3/4 of the assignment:

- page 58 (D01) : Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BUTÉ - APOYANDO - REST STROKE - APOYANDO

Youtube

This one is very difficult. I was not able to do thumb rest strokes in Exercise #16

- page 126 (D04) Delcamp, Jean-François Terminer - Fermare - Damp – Apagar

Youtube

- page 65 Giuliani, Mauro Allegro opus 50 n°13

Youtube

The most difficult part for me is thumb rest strokes here. I tried to do them all. It is barely distinguishable to the ear, but at you can see how bass strings stop vibrating.
Excellent work Andrei, your exercises are superb.

I also found the thumb rest strokes to be the most difficult part in the Allegro - especially in the last line of music. Sounds pretty good to me though. You may be able to make it even better by doing a little more with the dynamics though. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 am

Here is the rest of the assignment

- page 102 (D04) Foret, Stéphanie Bretonneuse

Youtube

I worked on the piece a lot and somehow got tired of it and have no motivation to really polish it, so there are some mistakes here and there...
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 am

Youtube

I worked on the piece a lot and somehow got tired of it and have no motivation to really polish it, so there are some mistakes here and there...

Good playing and errr nice pussy.

Don't be too hard on youself mate, I always find I make more mistakes when the camera is turned on and you only made a couple.

One thing that would improve it though: when a particular phrase is played twice, it adds interest if it is played a little different the second time. You could play it softer, louder or use a different tone.

In any case, you are well ahead of the rest of us. Well done. :bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 am

Here is my attempt at the butterfly tune. Still needs work as I'm sure I'm missing out some of the dampings. I've really been struggling with those.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 am
Here is my attempt at the butterfly tune. Still needs work as I'm sure I'm missing out some of the dampings. I've really been struggling with those.
I wish I had you 2's capability for producing excellent recordings after so little practice, I'm impressed. My efforts are still faltering.
Although for final polish, as you both say, extra work would be needed these are very musical and flowing renditions.

Agree with comments about the dampings, they require a bit of thought which slows me down.

Well done guys.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:15 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 am
Andrei Puhach wrote:

Good playing and errr nice pussy.

Don't be too hard on youself mate, I always find I make more mistakes when the camera is turned on and you only made a couple.

One thing that would improve it though: when a particular phrase is played twice, it adds interest if it is played a little different the second time. You could play it softer, louder or use a different tone.

In any case, you are well ahead of the rest of us. Well done. :bravo:
Thank you, Dave!
You are right, playing the same phrase differently would be more interesting.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:

As of the damping part I find Daily Technique for Classical Guitar by Edson Lopes helpful. I also modified his Arpeggio exercises (1-4) to include a bass line like this: half E, half rest, half E, half rest. Here is what I mean:
The bass E should be muted after playing 4 first eights. Same for other measures.
Correction! I meant this:
quarter E, quarter rest, quarter E, quarter rest.
Last edited by Andrei Puhach on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:25 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:

Youtube
This sounds great and clean, Dave. I like it more without damps.
Well, maybe the last part sounds just a little bit messy. Otherwise - great work as always.
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm
As of the damping part I find Daily Technique for Classical Guitar by Edson Lopes helpful. I also modified his Arpeggio exercises (1-4) to include a bass line
Thanks Andrei, that's useful I'll give it a go.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am
Andrei Puhach wrote:

DaveMoutrie wrote:
I wish I had you 2's capability for producing excellent recordings after so little practice, I'm impressed. My efforts are still faltering.
Although for final polish, as you both say, extra work would be needed these are very musical and flowing renditions.

Well done guys.
Thank you for your nice comments Colin.

As far as practice goes, I do practice quite a lot on my days off - usually around 2 - 4 hours but not all in one go. On work days I'm sometimes lucky if I get 20 - 30 mins.

Both this piece and the brammle took me a number of attempts before I got a relatively error free version.

Any road up as like, good to see you're still hard at it and keep up the good work. I look forware to hearing you play. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:59 am

Here is my best attempt so far at the Bretonneuse, still a few stutters here and there.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm
Andrei Puhach wrote:

As of the damping part I find Daily Technique for Classical Guitar by Edson Lopes helpful. I also modified his Arpeggio exercises (1-4) to include a bass line like this: half E, half rest, half E, half rest. Here is what I mean:

The bass E should be muted after playing 4 first eights. Same for other measures.
Correction! I meant this:
quarter E, quarter rest, quarter E, quarter rest.
Thanks for the tip matey, I'll have a go at this one when I have a few minutes. Just been testing the water with the D05 pieces - may try recording them. have you had a go?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for the tip matey, I'll have a go at this one when I have a few minutes. Just been testing the water with the D05 pieces - may try recording them. have you had a go?
For reference: Full Daily Technique by Edson Lopes PDF: m e d i a f i r e.com/download/ht03s8fqfnbivak/Daily-Technique-by-Edson-Lopes-1.pdf (he also has a nice Youtube video playing all these exercises).

I considered joining D05, then listened to the Romance (Anonyme - Melodía de Sor) but that horrible slide in Measure 5 made me change my mind... No, seriously, why doing it to this beautiful piece?
So, maybe next year.
If you are recording this one, please do not do that slide in Measure 5 :?

Another consideration is that D04 might have more difficult assignments in following lessons, and doing both D04 and D05 might result in investing less time in each exercise/piece. I don't want to trade quality for quantity.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Ouch, I produced 3 posts, meant to update the original one with an uncensored link, but it produced a new one.... Cannot delete my posts now...
Colin, could you please delete my posts (you have moderators' power):
viewtopic.php?p=1223545#p1223545
viewtopic.php?p=1223546#p1223546
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm
Ouch, I produced 3 posts, meant to update the original one with an uncensored link, but it produced a new one.... Cannot delete my posts now...
Colin, could you please delete my posts (you have moderators' power):
viewtopic.php?p=1223545#p1223545
viewtopic.php?p=1223546#p1223546
I'll delete the text and then request deletions of the posts

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”