D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 pm

We had the same situation last year with just a few students so I know the feeling. Now on the Spanish forum we have 17 and 4 different languages! And it seems the Spanish forum students are more stepped in "the rules." We seem more laid back here.

D06 Lesson 1 was relatively easy and I thought for a minute I would breeze through. I just took a peek at lesson 2 though, and I don't think that anymore. :chaud:

Have fun with the lessons guys. I'll check in since instill have you bookmarked.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 pm
We had the same situation last year with just a few students so I know the feeling. Now on the Spanish forum we have 17 and 4 different languages! And it seems the Spanish forum students are more stepped in "the rules." We seem more laid back here.

D06 Lesson 1 was relatively easy and I thought for a minute I would breeze through. I just took a peek at lesson 2 though, and I don't think that anymore. :chaud:

Have fun with the lessons guys. I'll check in since instill have you bookmarked.
Rick, congratualtions on starting D06 - I just popped over for a cheeky peek. Love your Pavana, especially the twiddly bits. You do them so well. :bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:22 am

Here is my first attempt at Romance.

It's not quite up to recordable quality, but I thought I would post in the hope that my guitar playing colleages will give me some much needed help and advice.

For me, the most difficult part is getting the position shifts slick enough so the piece hangs together properly and sounds legato. As you can hear I am also struggling a bit with the slidy uppy bit.

Any comments or helpful hints etc., will be very welcome.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Dave this recording is very nice too! I would be very happy if my recordings would be as good as you pre-recordings!
In bar 26 it would be easier if you used finger 4 for all melody notes, so the shift to bar 27 where finger 4 is used again would be easier.

:bravo:

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:50 pm
Dave this recording is very nice too! I would be very happy if my recordings would be as good as you pre-recordings!
In bar 26 it would be easier if you used finger 4 for all melody notes, so the shift to bar 27 where finger 4 is used again would be easier.

Thank you for your nice comments, you really are too kind.

I have watched the video of JF playing this piece, and he certainly plays it the way you suggest - sliding the 4th finger down 1 fret at a time. I have now tried playing it this way and the shift certainly seems a lot easier - I will play it this way from now on.

Thanks again for your help. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 pm

I am happy I helped!
Any suggestion for the shift from bar 20 to bar 21? Anything that could make this change easier and quicker?

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 pm
I am happy I helped!
Any suggestion for the shift from bar 20 to bar 21? Anything that could make this change easier and quicker?
Yes, this is a tricky one and it has a box around it to show that it needs practicing on its own.

The shift is from a full barre on the 2nd fret to a full barre on the 7th. The way JF plays it is to keep his finger lightly on the 6th string and slide up - if you listen carefully you can hear the noise it makes.

My approach to repeated practice of the tricky bits is to allocate 5 minutes of my practice session to practicing it over and over again. I use the timer on my mobile phone to time 5 minutes to the second (no slacking) with the promise of doing something more interesting at the end of it.

Hope this helps. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Beautifully played, Dave.

A tip that really helped me with the shifts was to not cheat with clarity of the notes just to keep in tempo. In other words, focus on getting the notes clear first even if you have a hesitation in the shift. Once you can play it clearly then you can focus on eliminating the hesitation or increasing the tempo. Really learn to stick the landings first. Then make it smooth. This helped me a lot on shifts.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Maria Anisimova

Post by Maria Anisimova » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Congratulations, Dave.
Very nice, expressive and smooth playing. You play well above my level, so I don't really think I can suggest anything you don' already know. You've set the mark rather high, so I'll have to work harder not to be ashamed to post myself.
Yamaha SLG N100

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Rick, thank you for your comments and advice.

I guess the thought running through my mind in keeping the tempo going (whilst fluffing the odd note) is that if you keep the piece moving then no one will notice the odd fluffed note. - this would probably work when playing on stage to the general public. But of course here I am dealing with eagle eared expert musicians such as yourself. The answer is of course I need more practice, or perhaps to slow the whole piece down slightly. Slowing the sections down I am struggling with is also an interesting idea, and of course we are striving for guitar virtuosity here - not trying to get away with fluffed notes.

Maria thank you for your comments also.

Please do not put yourself down, you are really a very good player. I have the advantage of having done D03 last year and D04 in progress (never planned on doing D05). I also studied guitar as a youngster

Thank you both again for your words of encouragement. Keep the practice going and happy guitar playing. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Dave, I found the reference on cheating earlier in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107080
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:57 pm
Dave, I found the reference on cheating earlier in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107080
Rick, thank you so much for going to the trouble of digging out the link - It made very interesting reading. Much work to do now and we will soon be on to D05 lesson 2.

:merci:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:57 pm
Whoever started that linked thread is brilliant! :D

Jeffrey Chan

Post by Jeffrey Chan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 am

Here is my attempt at Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce d'oro vedi che per ti moro !
Anonyme.mp3
Thanks in advance for the comments/feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Hill Signature Double Top Standup #2469

PREVIOUS
2015 Hippner Torres Cedar #813
2002 Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Redman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 am

Jeffrey Chan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 am
Here is my attempt at Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce d'oro vedi che per ti moro !

Anonyme.mp3

Thanks in advance for the comments/feedback.
Hello Jeffrey and welcome to D05.

Nicely played on the Vaghe... You have a nice tone and the recording quality is excellent. You also play it nice and slow which is always a good the when you first start to play a piece - I have a tendancy to try and rush things, especially when the camera is turned on. Of course, I play better when the camera is off!

I would like to make a couple of minor points on the piece if I may.

1. At the end of bar 3 I think you play a quaver instead of a crotchet, ie you play it too fast. The same again in bar 10.

2.The high F at the start of bar 21 should not be played as it is a tied note.

3. Difficult to comment on your fingering etc., as you only have audio and not video.

Apart from that, very well done, just need to work on the speed a little now.

Keep up the good work!

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”