D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Postby Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Welcome Stewart!
Rick, yes, that is very good, unfortunately, I have not much time, but I will do my best.

After 3 months of guitar playing holidays, the idea to put EJ43s to play all these bars was great!

Esteban Crespi

Postby Esteban Crespi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:20 pm

Hello, I'm Esteban from the Spanish Forum. I'm returning a visit from Rick into the Spanish Forum :D but this year it seems that we are very few, so I hope that you don't mind if I come from time to time and make or ask for some comment.

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Hello Esteban,

You are welcome to join us to participate in the lessons here at English forum as well. I'll add you to the Students' group. Enjoy the lessons!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:10 pm

I'll start this off then with my recording of Melodía de Sor. Recorded with my new Zoom Q4n using the built-in mics in XY configuration.
There are some rough spots, but mostly I'm unhappy with the tone of the melody line, especially on lower positions where I'm having difficulty in making the melody "sing". I think it's mostly due to excess tension, although the first string of Aquila Cristallo set probably isn't helping things. It's possibly not the optimal choice for this kind of music.

Youtube
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Nicely played Marko, and the sound recording is excellent as always! I too have issues with the melody line due to my difficulty getting my a fingernail shaped right. As you hear also in my exercises below, I can't get the tone I want with a, and it tends to hook on those rest strokes in Melodia and others. I keep experimenting. It keeps getting shorter and shorter.

Personally, and I prefer this piece ending on the minor A section. It sounds incomplete to my ear finishing on the B section. Or maybe I've just heard thet "other version" too many times.

Welcome Estaban. I'll be going back and forth this year as well!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Here are my two exercises. Tough getting some of those combinations on the damping exercise right, but JFD has problems with them too. I practice these regularly and there has been much improvement.

Youtube

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Esteban Crespi

Postby Esteban Crespi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Very beatiful Marko, I have nothing to comment. Almost perfect. I fear I will need a long time to play it at your level!

I have uploaded in the spanish forum "Vage Bellezze ... "

Youtube

it has a some erros and it needs still a lot of work...

One question: do you know if there is a dictionary spanish-french-english of music and guitar terms? I don't know the specific words in english and It limits a lot my comments!

Esteban Crespi

Postby Esteban Crespi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Helo Rick well done. Those dumping execrcises are terribly difficult 44 c) seems simply impossible to me ...
by the way you obtain a very nice sound from the guitar!

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:18 am

Thanks Esteban. And so too your rendition of Vaghe Bellezze... You did very well on the chord progressions in measures 20-23, where I am having problems.

One minor reading error I think in measures 3 and again in 10: you are rushing the notes from the F# to D, and playing an eighth note rather than quarter note as written.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:20 am

Rick, you are doing well with damping exercise. It really does get easier with some practice, as you said. The most difficult part is planting 'm' finger on string while plucking with 'a'.

For the speed exercise, I would suggest slightly slower tempo, as you do have some trouble after sextuplets. I think we're supposed to post both exercises 105 and 106. Also make note of the crescendo dynamic indications.

I'm also having constant trouble with my 'a' finger nail. It hooks slightly to the right of center, especially when the weather gets dry. Nail hardener helps with that, but the tone will suffer, so I only use it when I really have to nowadays. What helps a little is leaving the right side longer (i.e. a ramp) instead of a round form, as it will make the hook near the middle less pronounced. But I too need to file often (and carefully!).

Esteban, you are making good progress with "Vaghe bellezze..."! I agree with Rick's comments. You seem to strum a lot with your thumb (in places other than those marked with the vertical wavy line). Although it sounds nice when playing slowly, you should aim for "Andante" tempo, as indicated in the score, and I don't think strumming the eighth notes (quavers) is feasible at that tempo.

This is the only English-Spanish music dictionary that I know of: http://www.dmcclure.org/voc-mus.htm
Unfortunately it doesn't have anything specific to the guitar. You can also use Spanish words in place of English ones when you don't know a word. We'll most likely understand what you mean.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Postby Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Marko, you played Melodía de Sor beautifully! Almost perfect! You make all the difficult changes seem very easy! I like the tone of the melody line. The recording quality is also very good!

:bravo:

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:
I'm also having constant trouble with my 'a' finger nail. It hooks slightly to the right of center, especially when the weather gets dry. Nail hardener helps with that, but the tone will suffer, so I only use it when I really have to nowadays. What helps a little is leaving the right side longer (i.e. a ramp) instead of a round form, as it will make the hook near the middle less pronounced. But I too need to file often (and carefully!).

This is exactly my problem. I too have tried the ramp method you describe and keep the left side of the ramp short.

I forgot to add the descending scale recording. I haven't really been paying attention to the dynamics concentrating on the speed. Good observation!
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:47 am

Thank you, Haris! Incidentally there's a topic in Public Space discussing the difficult position shifts: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107080
There are few useful tips in there.

I also should point out that in case of Melodia de Sor, you only need 2 out of 4 notes playing immediately after the shift, which gives you a precious fraction of a second extra to complete the shift.

edit: The shift from 9th position down to 5th between bars 26 and 27 is a good example. There's a nasty stretch between fingers 4 and 2 in bar 27, which is difficult to get into all at once. But as the first beat consists of an open 5th string, and 4th finger fretting the first string, the shift can be implemented in two parts. First slide finger 4 into 9th fret, and only after that reach for 5th and 6th frets with fingers 1 and 2 respectively.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Esteban Crespi

Postby Esteban Crespi » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
About the strums ("rasgueados"?) in "Vaghe Bellezze..." I think I'll see if I can keep them when I increase the tempo as I find they sound very nice in this pieze. Actually I'm trying to copy Profesor DelCamp, I can´t understand how does he manage to produce such nice rasgueados even when there are missing strings (so he can't just strum with the thumb but he needs to arpeggiatte with all the fingers).

EricKatz

Postby EricKatz » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:26 am

Esteban,

Very informative on this subject! Please read "When to use an arpeggiated chord": http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=92754

BTW None of these arpeggiated chords are present in the "original" Chilesotti-transcription, on which professor Delcamp based his "révison" in the D05 lesson book (p.21):
Vaghe bellezze.jpg

Greetings,
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”