D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:Thank you, Haris! Incidentally there's a topic in Public Space discussing the difficult position shifts: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107080
There are few useful tips in there.

I also should point out that in case of Melodia de Sor, you only need 2 out of 4 notes playing immediately after the shift, which gives you a precious fraction of a second extra to complete the shift.

edit: The shift from 9th position down to 5th between bars 26 and 27 is a good example. There's a nasty stretch between fingers 4 and 2 in bar 27, which is difficult to get into all at once. But as the first beat consists of an open 5th string, and 4th finger fretting the first string, the shift can be implemented in two parts. First slide finger 4 into 9th fret, and only after that reach for 5th and 6th frets with fingers 1 and 2 respectively.

Great suggestions in that link Marko. I need to learn to use the resources here on Delcamp better. Thanks for sharing the link.

Now I'll share one not on Delcamp, but from Kevin Gallagher regarding that tough compression in Melodia at Measure 23. He did a video on left hand position with a pdf study that was a great exercise to improve compressions though left hand positioning. Unfortunately I can't find this video on his web site now. I have the pdf, and will seek his permission to share it with you all. I have a tough time with this passage getting all the notes clean both because of the compression and the quick changes. From his video I learned to move/rotate my left hand to the right to get those three notes in on one fret. In this passage I first rotate right, then left again to play the B with 1, then right again to play C-D in M24. Anyone else having difficulty with this passage?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Got this email from Kevin regarding the Left Hand Position exercise I refer to above. Infortunately the video is currently Private. I brought this to his attention. Attached is the PDF.
LeftHandPositionStudy KevinGallagher.pdf

"Hi Rick, do you mean this video? The pdf is in the description.
https://youtu.be/cwKnpalY4x8
Feel free to share whatever you like - I hope it helps!
Kevin"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:41 pm

Greetings all, I hope everyone had a great summer break, I'm hoping to post some recordings soon, its been quite busy :-)

Marko kicked off the first set of videos with a nice rendition of Melodia de Sor.

Rick - If you can include the 105 section of the Velocity exercise you can get full credit :-)

Esteban - Welcome to the group, the others have given good feedback on the Vaghe bellezze posting.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:54 am

John Montes wrote:Rick - If you can include the 105 section of the Velocity exercise you can get full credit :-).

Greeting back at you John. Recorded and ready to upload as soon as I sit down at the computer. Still working on getting that andante tempo on the song with a long name, and clean changes on Not Romanza.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:31 am

OK, here is the Velocite Exercise, both 105 & 106.

Youtube

I also wanted to post up my current effort at Vaghe with the too long name. I'm still working on perfectng the B section at tempo, and there are some mushy notes in that difficult chord progression section, but here it is...As good as it gets this weekend.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:06 am

Hello Rick
You play very good,good sound and tempo.
I have some problem about tempo, sometimes I can't make it good.
:bravo:

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:11 am

Hello classmate

This is my assignment.
It's difficult to make a good record.There are some mistakes,and I still need more practice.
I learn a lot from your comments, thank you.
:merci:

page 126 TERMINER - FERMARE - DAMP - APAGAR (D04)

Youtube

page 158 Speed exercises (D05)

Youtube

Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce d'oro vedi che per ti moro

Youtube

Melodía de Sor attribué à Fernando Sor

Youtube

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:20 am

Good job, Rick and Angela!

Rick, the difficult chord progression at the end of piece just takes time for the technique to improve. In the past sessions, I think I've seen some students use an easier fingering that avoids that big pinky jump from 2nd to 6th string (I think it involves using fingers 1,2,3 instead of 2,3,4 for the first chord in measure 22). However practicing the Delcamp fingering is beneficial, and I've found that Pumping Nylon's Opposing Motion exercises will also help with pinky independent movement.

Angela,

Considering you are studying this course for the first time, I think your submissions were remarkably good! I'm not sure what you meant with your comment about tempo issues. I noticed that in the speed exercise, you didn't follow the marked durations. Is that what you meant?
In Vaghe bellezze, I think your biggest problem is the accuracy of timing. In measures 1/2 and 8/9 when the melody moves up in thirds, your left hand is a little late with the position shifts, and you end up with audible slides, which I think are inappropriate for the piece. But you pretty much nailed all the hard parts :okok:
Your Melodia de Sor was very good as well!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Postby Haris Karachristianidis » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Rick, well done (the 2 exercises)! Did you play the 2nd exercise with a metronome? I find it very difficult to play it following the tempo...
Vaghe is also very good! Nice feeling and sound!

Esteban Vage Bellezze is very good!
The dumping exercises are not impossible, play them slowly at the beginning.

Marko, thank you for the useful tips!

Stewart Doyle

Postby Stewart Doyle » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Hello and welcome to all

I'm already behind on recording. Hopefully I usually have time early in the week so I'll try to get something by Tuesday night.
I'll certainly be using a metronome for the 'velocity' piece. I don't think it's important for the exercise and I think it makes it easier to hear how accurate the 'spacing' is.
For those finding the damping exercises tricky... what about number 16 on page 58 in D01! - unless it's just me!
I can't hear a problem with your melody Marko, although I can hear the im's perhaps too clearly at times. Your technique is so good (lots of Guiliani!), perhaps you naturally sound all ima cleanly so you have to work even harder to bring out the a finger?
Whilst on the 'Sor', I really enjoyed your playing Angela. For some tricky changes you seemed to be able to hit the melody note right on the beat.

I'm afraid those paltry musings will have to do for the moment. Well done to Rick and Esteban; I'll try to provide some comments too. I haven't dared look at my Vaghe from last year. I seem to remember I played it very sloooowly!
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:53 pm

:merci: for the great feedback everyone.
Angela: Your playing is excellent. :bravo: particularly Melodia de Sor. You really nailed all the difficult changes, clear and steady tempo with good tone and feeling. More practice (like me) in that difficult chord sequence in the B section of Vaghe... One picky comment, since Prof. Delcamp stressed the strum and bringing out first string, most were pretty good except the first strum in measure 1 - it was a little weak and arguably the most important one to get right.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:51 am

Hello everyone
:merci: Thanks the comments from everyone!
As the Melodia de Sor almost same as Romance, The song is the most favorite one for guitar players
I played the song for many years ago, so It's not very difficult for me to learn.Thank everyone's encourage.

Rick on Melodia de Sor,I'll make more practise about stressed the strum and bringing out first string, it's very important. Thank you!

As for the Vage Bellezze, at the end of piece I try some way,first it's also very difficult for me.Then I try Marko said,
(I think it involves using fingers 1,2,3 instead of 2,3,4 for the first chord in measure 22).
, But there is a problem, because the next note using 2,3,4,so you need a quick change all fingers, it's also not easy, then I found if you fix your finger 2 on the measure 21, that mean you not move your finger 2 after play measure 21 ,and on measure 22,23 you finger 2 will easy to do, because on measure 22, you just move finger 3,4.it's easy to do. you can try it, and I think your fingers are longer than mine, it's more easy to do. :D :D . you can also watch the teacher's video, you can see Delcamp fingering is good.

Marko Thank you give me encourage. I also watch you video, it's very good. I think about melody line is follow your sing, If you sing the songs first, you can get the melody easily, and because you sing a song, you must adjust your breathe, that mean you play the melody also have breathe, if you add your breathe in your playing ,the melody line is obviously.That's just my own idea,maybe not right. :)
And for Vage Bellezze, I'll notice the accuracy of timing, I think I can get it, thank you very much!

Esteban Your Vage Bellezze is very good! the first section is very clearly, I like it!

Stewart Doyle Thank you comments.

:merci: all

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:57 am

As Angela said, Romanza is a popular piece that I too learned long ago from the Noad version. I took a sneak peak at the first lesson this summer and found Melodia de Sor, so I began to relearn it. At first I was annoyed with the changes in the arpeggio, but eventually I took it as a valuable lesson. This weekend I read the thread that Marko suggested viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107080
about making quick changes, because I like everyone was having difficulty with these. The best advice I found there was not to cheat--that is too cut off notes to rush to the next position, or to rush and miss notes or play it uncleanly. Instead it was recommended to play the change at a pace or tempo you can manage cleanly, making sure to play all the notes, to slow it down. Then when you have it at a slower pace, speed it up gradually. I tried this advice and it works, though I am still working on in. But here is my rendition as of this evening. I still am cheating a little in a couple spots, and the changes are not always clean, but they are getting better. I've found re-learning something you may have played long ago has great benefits, and this is a great example.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 am

Good job, Rick! I very much liked your tone for the melody line! In measure 24 you can make things easier for yourself if you notice that the 9th position barre actually starts already on the 3rd beat of that measure. That will save you from doing that killer pinky stretch.

Regarding my difficulties to make the melody line sing that some of you commented on, I think Stewart is on the right track. What I would like to do is to play the melody louder (instead of im notes softer), but when I attempt to do so the tone gets too percussive. I think it definitely has to do with my a finger nail, because with i and m rest strokes on the 1st string I can use more volume without losing the singing quality. Maybe it is a shortcoming of my guitar or strings, and a traditionally braced luthier built guitar would function better in that sense. In any case, I don't think that attenuating im strokes is the answer, as I already was playing quite softly, and felt quite limited with the dynamic range available.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Postby Rick Beauregard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:Good job, Rick! I very much liked your tone for the melody line! In measure 24 you can make things easier for yourself if you notice that the 9th position barre actually starts already on the 3rd beat of that measure. That will save you from doing that killer pinky stretch.

Regarding my difficulties to make the melody line sing that some of you commented on, I think Stewart is on the right track. What I would like to do is to play the melody louder (instead of im notes softer), but when I attempt to do so the tone gets too percussive. I think it definitely has to do with my a finger nail, because with i and m rest strokes on the 1st string I can use more volume without losing the singing quality. Maybe it is a shortcoming of my guitar or strings, and a traditionally braced luthier built guitar would function better in that sense. In any case, I don't think that attenuating im strokes is the answer, as I already was playing quite softly, and felt quite limited with the dynamic range available.

Thanks Marko. We suffer from the same fate I think. I had several instances where my a finger catches On the string or sounds tinny. When it sounds best is on the very first more when I can consciously turn my a finger slightly to the left to get a sweeter note, a more oblique attack. But that is difficult to sustain throughout the piece.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”