D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Wow :bravo: Marko!!

Very nice allegretto tempo, clean and well played. As you note, dynamics and timbre didn't come through as well on the recording as they may have to your ear. I notice I almost have to over do the dynamics to get the results I want from recording. But the tone is excellent.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:10 am

I didn't expect to attempt to record these. But I laid them down so here they are, such as it is. They're rough. I especially apologize for making you wade through Preludio for 3+ minutes. Turns out it is easy to play, but impossible to learn. for me.

Youtube

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:06 am

Thank you for your comments, Rick! I agree that recording of dynamics can be difficult. It also depends on the recording equipment and the mic placement. I find that when using my "better" recording gear and the lattice braced guitar, the dynamics in the recording are more noticeable. Although I must admit, that whenever you detect very little dynamic variation in my recordings, it's usually because there's very little in my playing to begin with. For some reason the dynamics is something I start paying attention to only after I have close-perfected the other aspects of learning the piece, and for that reason it is often neglected in my recordings.

Some comments on your recordings:

Fossa: This was very enjoyable to listen to! The indicated tempo makes this more of a technical exercise than an actual musical piece. I much more prefer listening to this at the tempo you have played it, and you played it with great expression! Something you should do though, is to mind the bass voice note durations, that is to mute the open bass strings as you play the 3rd beat bass notes.
Note that in measure 7 and 9 the last note of each beat should be open 1st string (should be played pima instead of pimi). In measure 8, I think you omitted the last beat altogether.

Sanz: Don't be discouraged by the apparent lack of repeating patterns with this piece. It just takes time for the muscle memory to develop. On your third time studying D05 you'll have no trouble at all with this piece, I promise you :mrgreen:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks for your feedback Marko. I think even the third time around I'd be totally relearning the Fossa from scratch. I even analyzed the chord structure to try to find some sort of pattern and I didn't see much there, Except for chord patterns going up and down the scale. Funny how music that repeats patterns I find more interesting, and this sort of rambling improv I find boring. Themes, tension, variations, release tension, repeat.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:I even analyzed the chord structure to try to find some sort of pattern and I didn't see much there
There is in fact a clear chord pattern and a famous one too.
Take a look at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folia The framework in the chapter Structure is more or less the same as the chord structure of p.52.

There's a French blogger (Le Lutin d'Ecouves) who made an interesting website about the history of Les Folies d'Espagne. He wrote more then 35 blogs about all the different variations composers wrote on this theme, through history. (Who doesn't know Conquest of Paradise by Vangelis? It's based on the “Tema. Andante” that comes right after the introduction).
Blog nr. 37 is about Francois de Fossa http://lelutindecouves.blogspot.fr/2011 ... ne-37.html Don't forget to listen to the video. It shows that the Campanella is a part of De Fossa's 5th fantaisie, a series of variations on the theme. At 2:45 you can find the campanella. Originally at bpm=104. Then you can hear the playfull pattern of little bells that gave the campanella it's name, but when it's played at about bpm=66 it sounds more like church bells ringing at a funeral.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Sorry Eric, I mis-spoke. I meant to refer to the Sanz Preludio in my frustration in finding any structure I could wrap my head around. But the info you shared on Fossa is very interesting as well. Of course I recognize this chord sequence as the same as some others Sanz pieces we studied and improvised around.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:31 am

Very nice videos and submissions all. Nice work everybody.

I've been a bit behind and have not submitted any recordings yet, but I will soon
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Ruggero D'Elia

Post by Ruggero D'Elia » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:This is my take on the Sor study (op. 35 no. 8 ).

Youtube

As I suspected before, the pull-offs could have turned out better, but that's the best I managed today without slowing down the tempo. I also didn't vary the tone color as much as when I practice the study camera off.
Ciao Marko, nice to see you again!
I much appreciated the brilliant way you have managed this beautifull piece :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
I will come again for a tour :)
:bye:
Ruggero

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:54 pm

:merci: Ruggero for your nice comments! I hope your studies are going well.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”