D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:47 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
In these right hand exercises, you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes).

- page 102 ex. 51 to 55.
Exercises 51 to 54 are for the fingers of the right hand. The (x) sign indicates that the right hand finger is resting on the string (and damping it). Exercise 55 is for the left hand: lean the left hand finger over to damp the adjacent string at the same time as you play the new note.

Youtube

Youtube

- page 87 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) EXTENSIONS
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers feel too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by using a capo so that you play on the higher frets which are closer together and your fingers will not have to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

- page 65 Mattéo CARCASSI (1792-1853) VALSE opus 59
The first 8 bar phrase is made up of short elements, it is fragmented. The second 8 bar phrase is all one block, and therefore forms a contrast with the first phrase. The third phrase repeats the first. The fourth phrase is a synthesis of the first two phrases, it is made up of two elements of 4 bars each.

Youtube

- page 50 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) EXERCICE II opus 35
Sing one voice and play the other. Find the best places to breathe while you are singing.

Youtube

In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e 5 e 6 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6" in English)

Using a metronome is useful, but it is only a temporary crutch to lean on. You will benefit far more by counting the beats out loud as you play than by using a metronome. Internalizing the rhythm allows us in time to achieve both freedom and discipline when playing, that is, to be a musician.
If counting the smallest values out loud seems difficult, or very difficult, to you, it only means that you have to persevere, or persevere a lot more. Keep at it with determination until it becomes easy and natural for you. When, after having practised it long enough, this exercise of counting out loud while you play becomes easy, then you don't need to bother with it any more.

When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- exercises number 9 on page 87 and
- number 54 on page 102, as well as for the
- Fernando SOR EXERCICE II opus 35

The work I'm asking of you is difficult and requires you to be both organized and disciplined. It is certain that you will struggle to get your fingers to perform the exact movements required for the exercises. In order to succeed in this, you need to make the same movements several dozen times daily. The goal of these exercises is to strengthen and stretch your finger muscles, to make your fingers stronger and more agile. Put in plenty of work, every day, on the difficult parts, focus on them and play the easy parts only occasionally.
To get the best out of your practice time, split it up into 15 minute sessions, and leave your hands to rest for at least 30 minutes between sessions. If your hands hurt, leave them to rest for an hour, the time it takes your body to eliminate the lactic acid in your muscles, which is the main cause of muscle pain.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

exercises number 9 on page 87
number 54 on page 102
Fernando SOR EXERCICE II opus 35

Zafar Haq
number 54 on page 102

Ed Butler
number 54 on page 102

Andrei Puhach
number 54 on page 102

Chu Bun
number 54 on page 102

Edna Lopez
number 54 on page 102

davemoutrie
number 54 on page 102

Colin Bullock
number 54 on page 102

Bert Stendahl
number 54 on page 102

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
number 54 on page 102

Jose Ramon Martinez
number 54 on page 102

Warley Lima
number 54 on page 102
:( + ♫ = :)

Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:19 am

Hi, Classmates,
Exam qualifying study assignments music sheet breakdown.

- exercises number 9 on page 87 and
- number 54 on page 102, as well as for the
- Fernando SOR EXERCISE II opus 35

a.exercises number 9 on page 87
Left hand exercise

1.Time Signature: 4/4
2.Tempo:84
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:4
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Damping: No
7.Repeats: No
8.Special effects:No
10.Lyrics: No
11.Rest:Yes,quarter notes at measures 1,2,3,4
12. Articulation.No
13.Improvisation:No
14.Slur:No
15.Ornament:No
16.Tie:No

b.Exercise number 54 on page 102
right hand exercise

1.Time Signature: 4/4
2.Tempo:not defined
4.Measures:3
7.Repeats: No
11.Rest:No
12. Articulation.No
14.Slur:No

c.Fernando SOR EXERCICE II opus 35 page 50
en do majeur

1.Time Signature: 3/8
2.Tempo:132
4.Measures:26
7.Repeats: Yes,measure 1 to 9, measure 10 to 26
11.Rest:Yes,1/8 note at measure 9,11,12,13,14,15,16,18,26
12. Articulation.No
14.Slur:Yes at measures 6,17,23
Slur definition: A slur is a symbol in Western musical notation indicating that the notes it embraces are to be played without separation, i.e. with legato articulation. A slur is denoted with a curved line generally placed over the notes if the stems point downward, and under them if the stems point upwards:wiki

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:30 am

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "Damping Exercise 54 page 102" video recording. I recorded this assignment to check and test my computer
after repairs. :)

Youtube

DaveMoutrie

Postby DaveMoutrie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:43 am

[quote="Zafar Haq"]Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "Damping Exercise 54 page 102" video recording. I recorded this assignment to check and test my computer
after repairs. :)

Hi Zafar,

The sound quality is much better and I can hear a definite improvement in your playing as well.

Well done on both counts. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi, davemoutrie,
Welcome to D3 class.
Thanks for your comment.I'm practicing the extension exercise 9 now.

Ed Butler

Postby Ed Butler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:11 pm

Here is my Level 3, Lesson 2 DAMP Exercise

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment " Extension Exercise # 8" video link.For Exercise # 9, I need more practice on pinky finger to reach my other fingers on "b" string.You can advice me and give any tip how to extend without stressing the left hand wrist. Mr. Delcamp also advice to care for your hand,not to bent wrist causing any unnecessary stress. :)

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi, Ed Butler,
Well done on your damping exercise video.
Mr. Delcamp say "you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes)."
If you slow down your tempo and show, when your thumb return back than you activate and strike your index finger.This will demonstrate the damping process more efficiently. :)

Ed Butler

Postby Ed Butler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Zafar - thanks for the input. I will work on slowing it down.

Ed Butler

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:53 pm

Zafar,

You may want to rotate the guitar along its long axis, and pull it closer to your body (the back of the guitar should be flat on your body), and move your elbow forward a little bit. These may help to reduce the angle on your fretting hand (blue line).

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:13 am

Hi, Chu Bun,
Well done,
Very good visual presentation and comparison.I picked it instantly.I'll adjust myself according to visual tips.Thanks.

Ed Butler

Postby Ed Butler » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Early attempt at the Extension exercise

Youtube

Ed Butler

Postby Ed Butler » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Slowing down the DAMP Exercise

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi, Chu Bun,
I recorded a video clip after adjusting my guitar to a position suggested in an image by you.When I, see my left hand,wrist and arm physically,it shows a straight angle with guitar neck.From camera position,when I record the same setup,it shows a bend arm wrist, which you pointed.For Mr. Delcamp left hand playing ,the camera angle is different to show his left hand.This is my finding so far.
I can post a raw test recorded clip just for viewing and for further advice.
Mr.Delcamp uses mechanical support system to hold guitar,adjusting to his hands reach.In my case guitar is just resting on my left thigh. It may be a factor. :?:Instead of watching from the beginning,just fast forward to 50%.

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Postby Colin Bullock » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:.... I, see my left hand,wrist and arm physically,it shows a straight angle with guitar neck.From camera position,when I record the same setup,it shows a bend arm wrist, which you pointed.

Zafar
compare your wrist with that of Chu in his D03_01 videos. Your wrist still looks very bent to me and I don't think it is camera angle.
If you hold your arm straight out from the shoulder, as if throwing a punch, then the wrist should be straight in line with the forearm. I think you need to have the guitar neck further towards your body so the head is more over your elbow or you could push your elbow forward, Also, I think the body of the guitar could still be more vertical as Chu suggested, It's as though you are having to reach around the neck to get to the frets.
What do you think Chu?

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”