D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:08 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:Hi friends, here is my Lesson 02 assignment:

I think the most important lesson I learned is combining free and rest strokes without changing the right hand position.
Very nicely played Andrei.

I noticed that when playing the Sor you varied the volume on some of the repeated passages introducing a bit of counterpoint and that sounded really good.

Good to see someone playing the optional pieces as well. I think you missed the D C al Fine in the opus 49 though and finished it in the wrong place.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi davemoutrie,
I appreciate your feedback! You are absolutely right regarding finishing in the wrong place. I'm looking at the score now and see "Fine" and "D.C. al Fine" now :) Totally missed it when played, was more focused on other things. Thanks for noticing!

Volume variation in Sor opus 35 is inspired by this performance: Edson Lopes Sor opus 35 (search in either Google or Youtube).
Cordoba C9

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi Andrei. I think the p finger is the suggested in extentions.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:Hi Andrei. I think the p finger is the suggested in extentions.
Hi Bert, I thought that the p finger is only suggested for exercise 6, but it looks like you are right, it should be applied to all further exercises... Probably that does not matter much as the exercise targets the left hand. Thanks for noticing!
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi Andrei - thanks - I thought I was doing it correctly, but I now understand what you are saying. Ed Butler

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Andrei - I have redone the DAMP exercise - any better? or am I still not getting it?

Thanks

Ed Butler
Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:54 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Andrei - I have redone the DAMP exercise - any better? or am I still not getting it?

Thanks

Ed Butler
Youtube
Hi Ed, the middle section sounds very close to the way it is supposed be played. Watch how prof. Delcamp plays it. I'd also suggest to slow down.
Cordoba C9

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi,Ed Butler,
Let me explain the concept of damping exercise.It is such an important exercise that we submitted at year D01,2014,We were asked to submit it in year D02, 2015. Now we are asked to submit it in year D03, 2016.If you closely look at damping exercise no 54,page 102 music sheet."X" sign tells, not to move your finger.
1.Place your right hand thumb on "D" string.
2.Place your index finger on "G" string.
3.Place your middle finger on "B" string.
4.Place your ring finger on "e" string or #1 string.
This is a basic setup of your fingers.Non of finger move,get loose from is respective position.All fingers are firm stay on their potions.
Once ready just use the thumb to pluck "D"string for 1/8th note and returns back to its "D" string damping it.When thumb return,index finger get activated and pluck the "G" string for 1/8th note and returns to its "G"string to damp it and rest it.During this thumb and index activity,your other fingers remain stay seated on their respective positions.If you don't have enough practice,these fingers will get loose and move away from their position.It is challenging to discipline individual finger to respond freely without influencing other fingers.I can not judge watching your right hand if your fingers respond freely of each other or not.With practice you will be able to move independently each finger as you desired.Later we will perform exercises much more complex.Hope this may explain the concept of this exercise.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Zafar Haq - thank you. I did not understand that for Exercise #54 that all fingers of the right hand were on strings. I thought it was just the "i' for the first measure, the "m" for the second measure and the "a" for the third measure.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:33 am

My submissions for this months.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:48 am

Ed Butler wrote:Zafar Haq - thank you. I did not understand that for Exercise #54 that all fingers of the right hand were on strings. I thought it was just the "i' for the first measure, the "m" for the second measure and the "a" for the third measure.
Ed, yes you are correct you dont need to have all the fingers down, but you do need to keep the notes played by the index finger from ringing on eg by momentary touch with i. Zafar obviously finds it easier to use all fingers down and there is another exercise where that is necessary.
As Andrie suggests, slow down a bit and practice the first section, you appear to be cutting off the end of some notes eg the G.
Second half sounds good.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:34 pm

Colin - thank you. I will continue to practice it and slow it down to be sure I am doing it correctly.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:46 pm

Chu- well done. I enjoyed listening to your exercises. It inspires me to keep working hard on my own.

Ed Butler

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My submissions for this months.
Hey Chu, as always, great work. Sounds great, nothing to complain about :)
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:28 am

Andrei and Ed,

Thank you for your kind comments. Sometimes my bass and treble notes were not strike simultaneously and the rest at the end of each section was a little bit too long.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”