D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:47 am

Colin Bullock wrote:Ed, yes you are correct you dont need to have all the fingers down, ...
Monsieur Delcamp's clip clearly shows him keeping the non-playing fingers on the strings. And this imposes a restriction on the movement of the playing finger. Especially in #52 b and c, it is quite different playing with the non-playing fingers on and off the strings. Even the professor's clip looks and sound awkward. I think the exercises are not really about damping, but more about decoupling the fingers from each other.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:10 am

Zafar and Ed,
Colin Bullock wrote:.... I think you need to have the guitar neck further towards your body so the head is more over your elbow or you could push your elbow forward, Also, I think the body of the guitar could still be more vertical as Chu suggested, It's as though you are having to reach around the neck to get to the frets.What do you think Chu?
I agree with Colin here. You may also want to try a support. I use one and find it very helpful.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:14 am

Chu Bun wrote: Sometimes my bass and treble notes were not strike simultaneously and the rest at the end of each section was a little bit too long.
It really isn't noticeable, I've just listened to it again and as usual you and Andrew are showing the way and setting the standard.
Great work.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:29 am

Chu Bun wrote: Monsieur Delcamp's clip clearly shows him keeping the non-playing fingers on the strings. And this imposes a restriction on the movement of the playing finger. Especially in #52 b and c, it is quite different playing with the non-playing fingers on and off the strings. Even the professor's clip looks and sound awkward. I think the exercises are not really about damping, but more about decoupling the fingers from each other.
That's interesting, I hadn't watched the video, just worked from the music and although the video shows all fingers down for ex 54, the music shows p&i alternating, one damping while the other plays.
I'll try it the video way, as you say it makes finger control harder.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:14 pm

Chu - thanks for the idea - I will look into the support.

Ed Butler

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my new test 2 video showing my natural left hand position.This is the only position, I can use for all 4 fingers without additional stress.In this test,I take care to align my left hand knuckles to guitar neck.I did move my left elbow away to align my wrist.It causes strong stress in my fingers and disorientation.For me the best position for now is shown in this test 2 exercise. :)

Youtube

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:32 pm

Zafar - I like your wrist setup - I will try to use the same for myself.

Ed Butler

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:57 pm

First cut at the SOR Exercise. Very rough, especially compared to Chu and Andrei - very slow, missed some notes and fingerings. But I had fun doing it. Hopefully next version in a couple of weeks will be smoother.

Youtube

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Zafar,

I'll say your posture looks better than before. It's difficult to tell from the video but there seems to be an angle between your body and the backboard. You may want turn the guitar like in the picture below so you do not have to move your elbow forward too much.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi, Chu Bun,
Thanks for your advice and nice descriptive image. As soon you pointed out in your first post about my left hand wrist bent visible in my study assignment video. I did different adjustments to make my wrist not to bend with out compromising my left hand to feel unnatural stress.This latest image you posted is the only option,I felt comfortable to my left hand. I moved back my guitar neck e.g the nut part towards myself.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:44 am

Ed Butler wrote:First cut at the SOR Exercise. Very rough, especially compared to Chu and Andrei - very slow, missed some notes and fingerings. But I had fun doing it. Hopefully next version in a couple of weeks will be smoother.
Good start, will be interesting to see progress. You seem to be doing all the right things e.g. LH fingers are staying close to the fingerboard etc.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:44 am

Colin - thank you for the encouragement.

Ed Butler

Joshua E Behnke

Post by Joshua E Behnke » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My submissions for this months.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Are you tense in your upper back and neck area?
I tend to build tension here when I play any instrument for performance.
One thing that has helped me, is to relax my facial muscles especially the area right between my eyebrows and breath through my stomach.

Excellent execution!

Joshua E Behnke

Post by Joshua E Behnke » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:50 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:Hi friends, here is my Lesson 02 assignment:

page 50 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) EXERCICE II opus 35:

Youtube

page 65 Mattéo CARCASSI (1792-1853) VALSE opus 59 (bonus content):

Youtube

I think the most important lesson I learned is combining free and rest strokes without changing the right hand position.
Great technical playing. This is my first experience with online lessons so my criticisms will hopefully improve with time.

Everything look nice and relaxed. Appropriate tempo, good articulation, very good execution.
Some pauses could have more "air" to them. Don't be afraid to incorporate ritardando at the end of sections to give to smooth transitions.

Ill be posting my videos with many of the same challenges. I just came off a 4 year stint playing the bagpipes where all of the interest in the music is created by nuanced timing.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:24 pm

Joshua E Behnke wrote:...relax my facial muscles especially the area right between my eyebrows...
I'm near sighted but do not want to wear glasses, and have to squint to read the music sheet!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”