D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:29 am

Joshua E Behnke wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:Hi friends, here is my Lesson 02 assignment:
Great technical playing. This is my first experience with online lessons so my criticisms will hopefully improve with time.

Everything look nice and relaxed. Appropriate tempo, good articulation, very good execution.
Some pauses could have more "air" to them. Don't be afraid to incorporate ritardando at the end of sections to give to smooth transitions.

Ill be posting my videos with many of the same challenges. I just came off a 4 year stint playing the bagpipes where all of the interest in the music is created by nuanced timing.
Hi Joshua, thank you for your very good and constructive feedback! I totally agree that slowing down at the end of sections would bring more musicality and beauty :) I'll keep that in mind when working on the next assignment.
I noticed an interesting thing re tempo when watching masters playing pieces I learn: I clearly see them slowing down here and there but when I try to play these fragments the same way there is some internal pressure making me jump to the next note faster like if waiting a fraction of a second more would ruin the rhythm :) I watch my own recordings and clearly see that this and this fragment can be played a bit slower, this and this transition should be a bit smoother. To be more concrete, watch David Russell playing Se Ela Perguntar and pay attention to tempo and rhythm changes.

Looking forward to your videos!
Cordoba C9

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:40 am

Hello All.
Here is my best so far. Thanks for watching. :casque:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Edna Lopez

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Edna - I enjoyed listening to your exercises. I learn something new from every person I watch doing these exercises. Thank you.

Ed Butler

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:38 am

Edna Lopez wrote:Hello All.
Hi Edna, very well done. Exercises are done thoroughly, the piece is played beautifully. Congrats!!
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Hello fellow students of the on line guitar, here are my recordings for this week.

I would be grateful for any comments, constructive remarks etc. Thank you.

Exercise 54 page 102:

Youtube

Exercise 9 Extensions

Youtube

Opus 35 Fernando Sor

Youtube

Valse opus 59 Matteo Carcassi

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Thank you for posting Edna, your exercises are very precise and much better than mine (think I may have to re post)

The opus 35 is a nice even tempo and you have masted the pull offs (slurs). I can see that you been working hard and
have improved since last month.

Keep up the good work.

:D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Excellent, I like the Sor
davemoutrie wrote:Hello fellow students of the on line guitar, here are my recordings for this week.

Well done, even the ligados sound smooth. You could afford to slow down and start putting in dynamics.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Excellent, I like the Sor
davemoutrie wrote:Hello fellow students of the on line guitar, here are my recordings for this week.

Well done, even the ligados sound smooth. You could afford to slow down and start putting in dynamics.
Thank you for your helpful comments Colin. I thought I was rushing it a bit - Silly, but I get nervous in front of the camera and tend to speed up.

Not sure what a Ligado is (had a feeling it was a car from the 70's) - is that similar to a slur? You're right about the dynamics as well. I will have another bash at it and record again.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Dave - I noticed you 100% look at the left hand/guitar neck when you played the SOR and the VALSE exercises. Can you do that because you have memorized both pieces?

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:28 pm

[quote="Ed Butler"]Dave - I noticed you 100% look at the left hand/guitar neck when you played the SOR and the VALSE exercises. Can you do that because you have memorized both pieces?[/quote

Yes, your're right Ed, I'm afraid my music reading skills are not very good so I have got into the habit of memorizing pieces. Also by the time I have played a piece 10 times a day for a week I tend to remember it anyway.

A few years ago I saw John Williams play live - he played for 2 hours without once looking at piece of music.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Edna - I enjoyed listening to your exercises. I learn something new from every person I watch doing these exercises. Thank you.

Ed Butler
:bye: Hi Ed, same here. We have good players in this level.
Edna Lopez

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Dave - most teaching books I have read also suggest memorization. I just find it tough at my age (66) to memorize a complete exercise. I think I used up a lot of my brain cells during my working years.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:20 am

Ed Butler wrote:Dave - most teaching books I have read also suggest memorization. I just find it tough at my age (66) to memorize a complete exercise. I think I used up a lot of my brain cells during my working years.
I find it helps to take things in small chunks. Try taking the first few bars (measures), set the timer on your smart phone for 5mins and practice continually for this time. Come back to it 20 minutes later and see how much you can remember. Repeat this a few times and I think you will be surprised.

Medical research has shown that learning a musical instrument in later years can improve cognitive ability, but of course these things take time so be patient with yourself and keep practicing. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:38 am

Ed Butler wrote:Dave - most teaching books I have read also suggest memorization. I just find it tough at my age (66) to memorize a complete exercise. I think I used up a lot of my brain cells during my working years.
I take a different approach. Because I never learnt sightreading when young I am not good at it so I treat each new piece as a sight reading exercise and try not to memorise it.
I think we all have different ways of learning and approaching problems and need to find what works for us.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Dave, Colin - I like both of your approaches. Dave - I will use your approach to get more comfortable with the piece and allow me to better anticipate the note changes. Colin - sight reading is a part of my warm-up routine every day. I am getting OK with it until their are a lot of sharps or flats in the key.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”