D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:47 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 111 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) EXTENSIONS
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers feel too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by using a capo so that you play on the higher frets which are closer together and your fingers will not have to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

Improvisation work - D04
- pages 127-128
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.
1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Youtube

2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Youtube

3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds

Youtube

Youtube

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Youtube

5/ improvise using only 5 notes (D - E - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

6/ improvise using only 6 notes (D - E - G - A - B - C) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

7/ improvise using only 7 notes ((D - E - F - G - A - B - C) for 20 seconds.

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 24, 30, 64, 68, 69 and 92.
- page 24 Anonyme - The sick tune
This piece is made up of phrases of 4 bars. The second and fourth phrases are divisions on the first and third phrases [i.e. embellished repetitions of those phrases using notes of shorter duration]. The third string is tuned down a semitone, so that the guitar tuning corresponds to that of the Renaissance lute for which this piece was composed.

Youtube

- page 30 Losy, Jan Antonín - Capriccio, en la mineur
There are three beats to the bar, and the classical harmonic rhythm is that of one harmony per bar. At the end of each of the two sections of the Capriccio, the harmonic rhythm changes to the length of a half note (minim) and thus we get 3 harmonies (3 chords) in 2 bars, this change being known as a hemiola. A hemiola consists of the insertion of a triple rhythm into a duple rhythm, or conversely of a duple rhythm into a triple rhythm. The hemiola is used at the conclusion of the two sections of the dances of the Renaissance and Baroque period. In my PDFs I indicate the presence of hemiolas by dotted lines above the bars.

Youtube

- page 64 Giuliani, Mauro - Valse opus 58 n°3
In this waltz, each phrase begins with an upbeat (or anacrusis) on the third beat. The ascending octaves and the use of dotted notes in the rhythm (dotted eighth note/quaver followed by sixteenth note/semiquaver) give this waltz a very lively feel.

Youtube

- page 68, 69 Carcassi, Matteo - Valse opus 11 n°9
This waltz is made up of contrasting elements. The first section is played pianissimo, and the melody is in the bass. The second section begins forte. In the third section the melody is in the upper part, and is played with rest stroke (apoyando), the accompaniment being played with free stroke (tirando). On the second page, the crossed lines are an indication not to slide the fingers along the fourth string, so as not to cause unwanted noise.

Youtube

- page 92 Tárrega, Francisco - Andantino, en la mayor
Bar 15 is particularly difficult. In order to play this succession of thirds successfully, leave your fingers on the strings and slide them from one position to another, as I show you in this video, where I play bar 15 slowly and then faster.

Youtube

Youtube

When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

The work I'm asking of you is difficult and requires you to be both organized and disciplined. It is certain that you will struggle to get your fingers to perform the exact movements required for the exercises. In order to succeed in this, you need to make the same movements several dozen times daily. The goal of these exercises is to strengthen and stretch your finger muscles, to make your fingers stronger and more agile. Put in plenty of work, every day, on the difficult parts, focus on them and play the easy parts only occasionally.
To get the best out of your practice time, split it up into 15 minute sessions, and leave your hands to rest for at least 30 minutes between sessions. If your hands hurt, leave them to rest for an hour, the time it takes your body to eliminate the lactic acid in your muscles, which is the main cause of muscle pain.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 127 Delcamp, Jean-François Improvisation - 4/ Improvise using only 4 notes (D G A B) for 20 seconds.
- page 24 Anonyme - The sick tune
- page 64 Giuliani, Mauro - Valse opus 58 n°3
- page 92 Tárrega, Francisco - Andantino, en la mayor

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Improvisation - 4/
The sick tune
Valse opus 58 n°3
Andantino, en la mayor

Angela Zhao
Improvisation - 4/
The sick tune
Valse opus 58 n°3
Andantino, en la mayor

Dennis Stewart
Improvisation - 4/
The sick tune
Valse opus 58 n°3
Andantino, en la mayor
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:06 am

Hi classmate
This is my assignments,your comments are very important to me.
Thank you very much! :merci:

Improvisation - 4/

Youtube

The sick tune

Youtube

Valse opus 58 n°3

Youtube

Andantino, en la mayor

Youtube

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:19 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate
This is my assignments,your comments are very important to me.
Thank you very much! :merci:
Hi Angela, well done. Your playing sounds better with every lesson! You play all the pieces very clean, no buzzing or mistakes. Also always sooo calm...

On the Sick Tune and the Andantino i noticed that you play several notes as eight instead of quarter notes. In the Sick Tune its on the first 2 bars. On the Andantino its throuout the first part. What i am doing before i pick up the guitar each day, i listen to Mr. Delcamps recordings before i start practicing. That way the song keeps fresh in my memory.

Well done :D

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:17 am

Hi Dennis
Thank you can watch my video,and give me comments,yes ,you're right ,the rhythm is always my pain,sometimes I'm not keep the rhythmic inaccuracies. That's must be more pracitce,I'll try to keep it accuracy. :merci:
Hope to watch your video, and good luck to you!

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:07 am

Here is my recording for the sick tune. I really like this one and have spent too much time with it. Now i have to catch up with the other two...

Just as a curiosity. How are you guys learning new songs? One at a time or 2 or 3 together?

Youtube

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:39 am

Hi Dennis
:bravo: your sick tune is really good.
It has good rhythm, sound and musically, congratulate to you!

Actually, sometimes I study 2 or 3 new songs together, but not suit the others, just my opinion. :D

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:30 am

Dennis Stewart wrote:Here is my recording for the sick tune. I really like this one and have spent too much time with it. Now i have to catch up with the other two...

Just as a curiosity. How are you guys learning new songs? One at a time or 2 or 3 together?
Dennis or Angela,

I am struggling to get enough practice during this lesson. I am beginning to work on the sick tune but I am not sure about Mr. Delcamp's instruction of "The third string is tuned down a semitone, so that the guitar tuning corresponds to that of the Renaissance lute for which this piece was composed." Can you tell me, is this the D string or the G string and what note should I tune down too if that is the case? D flat, G flat? Thanks a ton. I am sorry for such a naive question.
Thanks, Bill
:oops: :merci:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:57 am

G string is tuned down to F#/Gb. Note that all the notes on that string will be found one fret higher than usual tuning, e.g. when you see 'a' in the sheet music, instead of fretting 2nd fret on 3rd string, you'll need to fret 3rd fret on 3rd string. And of course f# can be played as open 3rd string as well as from 4th fret of 4th string. It can be confusing at first, but you'll get used to it after a while.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:G string is tuned down to F#/Gb. Note that all the notes on that string will be found one fret higher than usual tuning, e.g. when you see 'a' in the sheet music, instead of fretting 2nd fret on 3rd string, you'll need to fret 3rd fret on 3rd string. And of course f# can be played as open 3rd string as well as from 4th fret of 4th string. It can be confusing at first, but you'll get used to it after a while.
Thank you Marko!!! :merci: :merci:

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:30 am

Hi Bill
As Marko Instructed you, the 3 string is tuned down to F#/Gb.
And at first, you don't familiar it,but then you will find it easily to play, it can let some fingering more comfortable. :D
Good luck to you!

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:55 am

Here are the other recordings for this lesson. It really feels a bit rushed and i didnt feel very confident when i was recording. I tried many times and in the end i just wanted to be done with it. I could easily spend another 2 weeks on these lessons. The pace has really gone up from last year.

The first 2 bars on the valse gave me a lot of headache, especially the dampening of the open A string. There is always that string buzz i couldent get rid off.

As always i am very grateful for all the critical comments and thanks for listening.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:36 am

Hi Dennis
very good! :bravo:
Valse opus 58 No3, in bar16,17,the pitch sound not right,or the pitch of first string not right.
others are good, your keep the damp and the pause.

Andantino: on the second part, the rhythm is slower than the first part,maybe it's your purpose.

good luck to you! :D

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:03 am

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi Dennis
very good! :bravo:
Valse opus 58 No3, in bar16,17,the pitch sound not right,or the pitch of first string not right.
others are good, your keep the damp and the pause.

Andantino: on the second part, the rhythm is slower than the first part,maybe it's your purpose.

good luck to you! :D
Hi Angela, thank you for the comments. You are right on both points. On the Andantino i do not intentionally slow down. I guess i was just not very comfortable playing it. Also i do get exited when recording, especially when coming towards the end of a piece. On the Valse im am not sure what happend. Maybe the guitar was a bit out of tune.

Thanks for the feedback, it really helps a lot.

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Dennis Stewart wrote:On the Valse im am not sure what happend. Maybe the guitar was a bit out of tune.
Hello Dennis. You have played the C, in bars 12-14 natural, without #. This is your mistake.

:bye:
Last edited by Jesús Morote on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Jesús Morote wrote:
Dennis Stewart wrote:On the Valse im am not sure what happend. Maybe the guitar was a bit out of tune.
Hello Dennis. You have play the C, in bars 12-14 natural, without #. This is your mistake.

:bye:
Hey Jesus, you are right. Thanks for pointing it out!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”