D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:46 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: G major scale and C major scale, numbers 2 and 3. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Youtube

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at nine simple tunes, pages 16 to 20
Anonyme : Scarborough fair

Youtube

Anonyme : Ah vous dirai-je maman

Youtube

Anonyme : La bonne aventure

Youtube

Jean-François Delcamp : SI SI RE

Youtube

Anonyme : Sur le pont d'Avignon

Youtube

Johann Kaspar Mertz : Übungen im Wechsel – Anschlag. auf zwei Saiten

Youtube

Patty & Mildred j. Hill : Good-morning to all

Youtube

Dionisio Aguado : Leccion 5a

Youtube

Anonyme : Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

Youtube

In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and" in English)
Using a metronome is useful, but it is only a temporary crutch to lean on. You will benefit far more by counting the beats out loud as you play than by using a metronome. Internalizing the rhythm allows us in time to achieve both freedom and discipline when playing, that is, to be a musician.
If counting the smallest values out loud seems difficult, or very difficult, to you, it only means that you have to persevere, or persevere a lot more. Keep at it with determination until it becomes easy and natural for you. When, after having practised it long enough, this exercise of counting out loud while you play becomes easy, then you don't need to bother with it any more.
When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

You can memorize different tempi (tempos) by mentally associating each one with a tune you have learnt by heart. Learn a suitable tune for each tempo. Begin with Good-morning to all (the same tune as Happy Birthday) for the tempo of 120 (beats per minute).

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Jean-François Delcamp : SI SI RE
Anonyme : Good-morning to all
Dionisio Aguado : Leccion 5a
Anonyme : Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a
Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

Lucian Bistreanu
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Georgi Chernishov
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Binh NguyenKhac
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Andreas Hanuschek
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Rodaan Peralta
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Roger Dorfield
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Tales Lucin
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Dustin McKinney
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Uriel Garcia
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Nelson Lee
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Ryan Bassette
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a
:( + ♫ = :)

Roger Dorfield
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Roger Dorfield » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi Jean,
I just want to be clear about what your statement means about audiblizing the smallest rhythmic values out loud. I am not sure about the smallest value.
I am just assuming it means count out loud the rhythm.

Thanks
2015 Cordoba C10 Parlor
2014 Cordoba C5 CE
2015 Washburn Parlor
Savarez strings: 500cj and 500aj
D'Addario strings: Silk & Steel EJ40 and Extra Light EXP15

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Good afternoon to all :)
Thank you Professor for another lesson!

I hope that by the end of the present lesson my playing will be more pleasant. Missing Leccion 5a for the moment. I'll post it later. Until then here are my first attempts:

SI SI RE

Youtube

Good morning to all

Youtube

Lo, nous marchons sur un etroit chemin

Youtube

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Hello everybody! Here are my Si Si Re and Good Morning to All:

Youtube

Youtube

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Lucian Bistreanu wrote:Good afternoon to all :)

I hope that by the end of the present lesson my playing will be more pleasant. Missing Leccion 5a for the moment. I'll post it later. Until then here are my first attempts:
Hi Lucian! I liked your performance of Good morning to all :) . However the last video needs to be redone. I suggest you playing the tune more slowly.

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Georgi Chernishov wrote:
Lucian Bistreanu wrote:Good afternoon to all :)

Hi Lucian! I liked your performance of Good morning to all :) . However the last video needs to be redone. I suggest you playing the tune more slowly.
Thank you Georgi! I totally agree with you, I 'll see what I can do about it in the coming weeks :)
By the way, your first 2 videos are well done, as usual. :bravo:

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Georgi Chernishov wrote:
Lucian Bistreanu wrote: Thank you Georgi! I totally agree with you, I 'll see what I can do about it in the coming weeks :)
By the way, your first 2 videos are well done, as usual. :bravo:
Thank you! I think my Good morning to all should be in a faster tempo. And the beginning of Si Si Re is too slow compared to the rest of the playing.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:26 am

Georgi Chernishov wrote:Hello everybody! Here are my Si Si Re and Good Morning to All:
Good job Georgi ! :bravo: In my humble opinion: Your ring and little finger of your right hand are tensed, your left hand is tensed, too. When tensed, fingers tend to raise far away from fret board. You can compare your hands to our teacher - Mr. Delcamp, notice his hands are relaxed.

Youtube

I used to have this problem, and solved it by close my eyes and play extremely slow and think about pleasant, peaceful picture in my head like a beautiful lake, with dears and flowers every where. Yes, it sounds silly, don't judge me :lol: but it works... for me. The goal is to eliminate the tense.
Tensed fingers = böyük no no :lol:

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:59 am

Binh, I cannot help that :( I know that is my problem but after many failures to record a tune I am getting very angry and my fingers become tense. But I will try to follow your advice :)

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi classmates, , here's my videos for our 3rd lesson. I appreciate your feedback :) I have a question though: how to reduce the buzz created by friction when moving left hand fingers from a fret to another one, especially in my "Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin" video. I hate this awful sound!

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:29 pm

Binh, great as usual! :)

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks, Georgi, that means alot to me :) can't wait to listen to your last 2 songs though.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:43 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:Hi classmates, , here's my videos for our 3rd lesson. I appreciate your feedback :) I have a question though: how to reduce the buzz created by friction when moving left hand fingers from a fret to another one, especially in my "Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin" video. I hate this awful sound!
Hi Binh, very nice work and execution keeping time :bravo:
Re: buzz reduction in the piece, try lifting the fretting finger slightly higher above the string until reaching the next note then depress the string and sound the note.

In some of the buzz note examples, the noise appears to coming from the slide of a fretting finger on the string as a position shift is occurring. The treble strings (nylon) are more quiet not as noticeable, but the 3 bass strings (wound string) add extra squeaks :-)
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:39 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:Hi classmates, , here's my videos for our 3rd lesson. I appreciate your feedback :) I have a question though: how to reduce the buzz created by friction when moving left hand fingers from a fret to another one, especially in my "Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin" video. I hate this awful sound!
Well done Binh, keep up the good work!
:bravo:

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:50 am

Hi everybody, sorry for the delay, sorry for the interpretation, but I got nothing better at this moment :(

Leccion 5a

Youtube

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”