D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Postby Nelson Lee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:My submissions:

Si Si Re
Good Morning
Leccion 5a
Lo Nous Marchins

Hi Dustin, Enjoyed listening to your songs! All of the songs are wonderfully executed. Leccion 5a's tempo is fast, so it sounds rushed and mechanical. I suspect you can play the song more musically if you slow the tempo. Perhaps, you were going for speed more since the tempo is at 120. If you wish play this song musically, slow the tempo and decide and plan how you will execute dynamics, tempo changes, guitar tone. Hope this helps. Courage and go forth. Regards, Nelson.
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:58 am

Roger Dorfield wrote:Hi Guys here are my Videos I have one more to complete......... Had problems with dampening with the thumb

Hi Rodger, Ed Sueta has a series of workbooks of rhythm exercises that are wonderful and I believe you can benefit from them a lot. His system teaches you to count using rhythm syllables, so it is a intuitive method. If you are game, I can record myself doing one of the exercises, so that you can see how it works! Courage and go forth! Regards, Nelson.

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D01-03 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Slowing the tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat.
2. Minimize unnecessary LH movement.
3. Minimize "clicking" sound of RH picking. This one was a challenge! I had to cut my nails for health issues, so I using specialized picks in these videos.

Again, I have included video with and without metronome beats. Moreover, I counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.

G Major Scale Page 54-2

Youtube

C Major Scale Page 54-3

Youtube

Si Si Re Page 17

Youtube

Good Morning To All Page 19

Youtube

Leccion 5a Page 19

Youtube

Lo, Nous Marchons Sur Un Etroit Chemin

Youtube

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Good work, Nelson :bravo: . You show remarkable effort, both hands are relax and the rhythm is just perfect. :casque: . I'm literally smiling watching your videos and happy for you, my friendly classmate. You humbly receive criticism and feedback, really spend time to practice. Though your videos, I can see a lot of patient and large amount of hard working practicing hours . So there is no surprise to see your improvement. Just compare your lesson 1 videos and these recent videos. The difference is day and night.

One strange thing though, in this video Good morning to all, at 0:09 and 0:28,

Youtube

The way your right hand reaches the e string is not smooth, awkward. I recommend you watch how Mr. Delcamp plays this section: his index and middle fingers walk forward from string B to string E. The transition is smooth, natural. Don't reach your hand, use your fingers just like your two legs.

at 0:06

Youtube

Well, at this rate, soon enough I can't give you any feedback, Nelson, you're a fast learner. :D

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:......One strange thing though, in this video Good morning to all......The way your right hand reaches the e string is not smooth, awkward. I recommend you watch how Mr. Delcamp plays this section: his index and middle fingers walk forward from string B to string E. The transition is smooth, natural. Don't reach your hand, use your fingers just like your two legs........Well, at this rate, soon enough I can't give you any feedback, Nelson, you're a fast learner. :D

Hi Binh, good to hear from you and thanks for the feedback! I changed the way of holding the guitar and I am resting my right arm on the guitar too much. I will work on resting my arm lightly so that I can use my fingers to walk (like legs) to the guitar strings I need. Again, exceptional advice, my friend. Best regards, Nelson.

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:43 am

Very well executed Nelson, and very good timing
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Nelson Lee

Postby Nelson Lee » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am

Dear John, thanks for the feedback. I have been working hard on timing and it's been a challenge! Regards, Nelson.

Ryan Bassette

Postby Ryan Bassette » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:48 am

My submissions:

Si Si Re

Youtube

Good Morning

Youtube

Aguado Leccion 5a

Youtube

Lo Nous Marchins

Youtube

This 'week' turned into almost 2; the Aguado with the string skipping and i-m alternation is quite the challenge, but it feels good to have finally gotten it to click.

Thomas Drummond
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Postby Thomas Drummond » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:31 pm

Sorry ive been absent fellow classmates/players.

I got really REALLY ill, and i havent touched a guitar in 2 weeks (16 days according to practice logs) (havent done anything really, flu is the worst)

But i want you all to know i havent left and im still here. just going to be a bit longer for this one.
Im currently working on Leccion 5a (which has been a nightmare for me!) i have Dupuytren's contracture in both my pinky fingers. (finger 5)
(its a disorder that prevents straightening of a finger, and for me it happens at the outter knuckle so even when i aim right for the fret
it falls back a bit, i have to over aim.)

- advice for that appreciated
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Thomas Drummond

Postby Thomas Drummond » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:30 am

Heres my submissions for Year 1 (D01) Lesson 3 (03) requirements 01 to 04.
SI SI RE
Good morning to all
leccion 5A
Lo nous marchons sur un etroit chemin

I struggled a lot with Leccion 5a, and im still not happy with it.
Ive moved on to Lesson 4, but will continue to polish leccion 5a as I go.

This lesson took 6.5 weeks to do because of the Flu (influenza); but im back at it now and ready to master.

Also these new strings buzz, the old brand i had didnt, ill be going back to the old ones once these run their life span.

Si Si Re

Youtube

Good morning to all

Youtube

Leccion 5a

Youtube

Youtube
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Jason Hensley

Postby Jason Hensley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:39 pm

Thomas Drummond wrote:Heres my submissions for Year 1 (D01) Lesson 3 (03) requirements 01 to 04.
SI SI RE
Good morning to all
leccion 5A

I struggled a lot with Leccion 5a, and im still not happy with it.
Ive moved on to Lesson 4, but will continue to polish leccion 5a as I go.

This lesson took 6.5 weeks to do because of the Flu (influenza); but im back at it now and ready to master.

Also these new strings buzz, the old brand i had didnt, ill be going back to the old ones once these run their life span.

Si Si Re

Youtube

Good morning to all

Youtube

Leccion 5a

Youtube

Youtube

Hi Thomas,
I watched your videos for the first lessons and you did quite well. Especially the first two they were quite smooth. The second two I did however notice that you were not as smooth. I recommend slowing down especially with your string fingers. You are striking before your fingers are in a good zone on the fret board. The only problem is a small bit of lack of coordination between the two. This is the only problem that I can see but I really hear it more than anything. Other than that it was quite good, The smoothness that is applied in the first two should also be in the second two, and the last is better than the third. I know you have drawn attention to this already. I recommend slowing down and working on a single bar at a time and make sure your counting aloud so as you arrive where you want to make a clearer sound.
Good job in the fingerpicking however that is pretty up to par, you have a decent strike, it looks to be good technique from what I see.
There is no point in looking forward when you don't know where you are going, and you can only know where you are going if you know from whence you come. - Varg Vikernes

Minh Man Nguyen

Postby Minh Man Nguyen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Thomas Drummond

Postby Thomas Drummond » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Jason Hensley wrote:
Thomas Drummond wrote:Heres my submissions for Year 1 (D01) Lesson 3 (03) requirements 01 to 04.

Hi Thomas,
I watched your videos for the first lessons and you did quite well. Especially the first two they were quite smooth. The second two I did however notice that you were not as smooth. I recommend slowing down especially with your string fingers. You are striking before your fingers are in a good zone on the fret board. The only problem is a small bit of lack of coordination between the two. This is the only problem that I can see but I really hear it more than anything. Other than that it was quite good, The smoothness that is applied in the first two should also be in the second two, and the last is better than the third. I know you have drawn attention to this already. I recommend slowing down and working on a single bar at a time and make sure your counting aloud so as you arrive where you want to make a clearer sound.
Good job in the fingerpicking however that is pretty up to par, you have a decent strike, it looks to be good technique from what I see.

Thanks!, ive been fighting a lot of old habbits.
I come from a blues/electric background.

example of one:
Things like economy of motion where you MUST go from one string to the next on the same finger is something i fight with because
in classical you always alternate fingers, but in blues/electric its what youre supposed to do; and i think that is what causes the hesitations on
my fretting hand because my brain still fights with "now? now? should i got now? what about now?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did blues for years, and its seeded pretty deeply. That third one is especially sting jumpy.

I find myself sometimes ignoring the " I, M, A" without realizing it and my M finger for example, will proceed through and hit the next string
if thats where the next note is.

Thank you for the comment/review,
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Jason Hensley

Postby Jason Hensley » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:32 pm

Oh I understand I come from metal so I know all about fighting bad habits lol. I am still getting used to it but it will come pretty quickly. After awhile it just clicks and then its hard to stop when you need it too lol. Good luck just keep on going.
There is no point in looking forward when you don't know where you are going, and you can only know where you are going if you know from whence you come. - Varg Vikernes

Thomas Drummond

Postby Thomas Drummond » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Minh Man Nguyen wrote:Hi everyone!

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

few small things
your fretting finger placement seems tense, especially in that little finger, it likes to curl into a ball.
and when its not doing that it occasionally goes under the fret board then back.

try to rotate the wrist just a little, to keep the palm straight and the fingers over the strings
also, try and keep the fingers ready to go, dont let them curl on ya!
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Yamaha FX370C

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”