D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:48 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 112, numbers 11, 12, 13 - Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following video corresponds to bars 5 to 9 of the scale of F major, number 11 on page 112. In this video example, I am playing slowly to make it easier for you to see my first finger sliding from position I to position V, then from position V to position X. In the descending scale, notice that I do the same thing in reverse. When I return from position X to position V, my first finger slides from one position to the other without ever leaving the string.

Youtube

The following videos are for numbers 11, 12 ands 13 on page 112. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

- Page 120, numbers 31, 32 and 33. Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
We have already worked on the rest stroke (apoyando) with the fingers of the right hand. Now we are going to work on doing a rest stroke with the fingers of the left hand. That is the best way to learn how to execute descending slurs. In number 32, bar 2, the fingers of the left hand execute the slurs with the help of the rest stroke. The fingers 4, 3, 2 and then 1 pluck the second string then finish their move by coming up against the first string. Place the left hand fingers vertically in relation to the fingerboard, that's the right position to play slurs.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

- page 128 - Improvisation
Improvisation work - D02
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.
8/ improvise a melody upon the bass-line of DANSE D'AVILA, using only these 7 notes (G# A B C# D E F#).
9/ improvise a melody upon the bass-line of OH! SUSANNA, using only these 7 notes (G# A B C# D E F#).

Youtube

Youtube

Finally we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 16, 49, 74, 75 and 103.

- pages 16, 17 Borrono da Milano, Pietro Paulo - Peschatore che va cantando
Here, as for "The sick tune" which we saw in the previous lesson, the even-numbered phrases are divisions (French: diminution; Italian: passaggio; Spanish: glosa) on the odd-numbered phrases. In this piece each bar (measure) contains a total of 3 half notes (minims). At the end of each of the phrases the rhythm changes to the length of a whole note (semibreve) and thus we have 3 whole notes in the space of 2 bars. This change of rhythm is known as a hemiola. In my PDFs I indicate the presence of hemiolas by dotted lines above the bars.
When you play the first beat in bar 3, make sure you simultaneously damp the open F# string which is still sounding from the previous bar, as I show you in the following short video.

Youtube

- page 49 Carulli, Ferdinando - Prelude opus 114 n°7
The double oblique stroke indicates that you should repeat the preceding group of notes.
See the example here: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abr%C3%A9v ... une_mesure [The French explanation reads "Repetition of fragments shorter than a whole bar. When a fragment, pattern or motif needs to be repeated, each repetition can be replaced by a double oblique stroke."]
From a technical point of view, to perfect your fretting technique, I recommend that you practise this arpeggio while keeping 3 fingers on the strings throughout. This way of practising will teach you to execute the necessary fretting movement without producing involuntary movement of the other fingers.
Here is a video extract showing this finger practice, where you can see the fingers playing the strings with the greatest possible economy of movement.
At the bottom of the page, Carulli provides you with another two patterns (B and C) to use in your practice of this prelude.

Youtube

- pages 74, 75 Paganini, Niccolò - Ghiribizzo n°17 Le Streghe
Each section of 16 bars has a particular character. The first section is lively and rhythmical, and is best brought out by playing it with a certain crispness. To give the ends of the phrases more character, I speed up the tempo a little and avoid letting the arpeggios ring on in bars 7, 15, 23, 31 and 47. The second section, less tight than the first, begins with a harmonic progression (F# - B - E - A) in arpeggios for which a legato style of playing is suited. The third section contrasts strongly with the 2 previous sections; the key changes to minor, the rhythm to duple time, and finally the tessitura (general pitch) moves up from the mid-range to the treble.
The accomplished classicism of this brief composition is the hallmark of the great master that Paganini was.

Youtube

- page 103 Morin, Ludovic-Alexandre - Petite étude
The phrases of this Petite étude (little study) in E minor are made up of 9 bars, which is rare. Ludovic-Alexandre Morin has posted his recording of his composition on the French forum. If you are registered on that forum, you can listen to his MP3 here: http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... 65&t=10321
In bar 18 I advise you to play the harmonics by using a half barré with the little finger (finger 4), placed 2 millimetres in front of the fourth fret, as I show you in the following short video.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 49 Carulli, Ferdinando - Prelude opus 114 n°7
- pages 74, 75 Paganini, Niccolò - Ghiribizzo n°17 Le Streghe
- page 103 Morin, Ludovic-Alexandre - Petite étude

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Prelude opus 114 n°7
Le Streghe
Petite étude

Angela Zhao
Prelude opus 114 n°7
Le Streghe
Petite étude

Dennis Stewart
Prelude opus 114 n°7
Le Streghe
Petite étude
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Angela Zhao » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:58 am

Hi classmate
Here are the recordings for this lesson.
I didn't feel good about the recording, but it's really need time to polish them.
Thnak you watch the video and give any critical comments.
:merci:

Prelude opus 114 n°7

Youtube

Le Streghe

Youtube

Petite étude

Youtube

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:34 pm

I have been practicing the Paganini - Le Streghe for nearly 3 weeks now and i am really, really frustrated. I just cant seem to get the arpeggios right. I practice them very slow, multiple times until i am very confident and then try to speed up a bit. Once i reach a certain speed i keep on stumbeling and make the same mistakes over and over again. I am reaching the point where i want to give up on this piece and maybe try again in a couple of months time.

Now this is a general weakness in my playing, not only on this piece. I feel i dont improve on playing faster. Are there any excercises you guys know of that focus on speed?

Angela: Sorry i didnt have time to properly listen to your recordings yet, i will give you feedback next weekend

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:03 am

Hi Dennis
Your problems are also mine,it's not easy to play the arpeggios right, even now,I still need to practice it sometimes.
Don't give yourself higher requirements, lower the speed, :)
And about the speed excercises, you can look up the D05 p158, section 105, you can try it.
Good luck to you!

Angela

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:14 pm

I found Prof Delcamp's arpeggios a little rushed. Look up other recordings of Le Stregh to see some different interpretations. There's one by Allessio Nebliolo that is slower and nice. Available on I-tunes.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:52 am

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi Dennis
Your problems are also mine,it's not easy to play the arpeggios right, even now,I still need to practice it sometimes.
Don't give yourself higher requirements, lower the speed, :)
And about the speed excercises, you can look up the D05 p158, section 105, you can try it.
Good luck to you!

Angela
Thanks Angela, i will definitely give it a try! Also on the Le streghe i will record it very slowely. Cant wait to get it out of the way! :lol:

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:54 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:I found Prof Delcamp's arpeggios a little rushed. Look up other recordings of Le Stregh to see some different interpretations. There's one by Allessio Nebliolo that is slower and nice. Available on I-tunes.
Hi Rick thank you for taking your time to answer my question. I did have a look on several other versions and i will try to change the arpegios to a bit less rushed version.

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi Angela. I'm student in spanish and italian Lessons.
Very well your interpretations. But you do a mistake in the "Petite étude".
Bars: 6 and 24. You sound Do#, and it has to be natural. The fingers 1 (Mi 2nd string) and 2 (Do 3rd string) are both in 5th fret. You do the Do in 6th fret. You make La major chord, and it is La minor chord.
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi Jesús
Thank you watch my video,and point out my mistake,I redo it again,hope this time is correct!
Petite étude

Youtube

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate
Here are the recordings for this lesson.
I didn't feel good about the recording, but it's really need time to polish them.
Thnak you watch the video and give any critical comments.
Hi Angela, good recordings once again and a big congratulation to Le Streghe! You did a fantastic job there. I noticed that you play a Bflat instead of a B in the minor part at 0:41 seconds into the song. The second time you played the B correct. Also sometimes the bass notes are ringing out. Apart from that a big :bravo:

On the Petite Etude, Jesus has already pointed out the wrong notes. The harmonics are played really nice and ring out with an impressive volume!

On the Prelude i noticed that sometimes between the bars you leave a small gap, just long enough to notice.

Well done

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi Dennis
Thank you give me so many encouragement.
For the first record, I made it in summer, and for the second record, I haven't play it for months,so I'm not very fluent, but I don't think it difficult than the first time. Thank you watch my video.
And thank you pointed out the other two songs problem, I'll notice it.

Hope to watch your video, and good luck for you! :merci:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:50 pm

OK, Angela. It is right now.

In general we the latins players like a more slowly and "cantabile" performance. Yo can hear my registration of this piece (and from other students) in the italian Forum.
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:18 am

Hi Jesús
Thank you! I'll register in Italian forum, and learn from students in there.

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:38 am

Here are two of my recordings for this lesson. Le streghe still needs a lot more work. As always thanks for any critical comments and recommendations.

Youtube

Youtube

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:04 am

Hi Dennis
:bravo:
The Prelude opus 114 n°7 , you play very good, I think you play more fluent than me, especially from bar 18 to the end, you transit very good, not any gap.

Petite etude
on bar 9, the E duration is too long, you play it not eighth, but dotted eighth, and at the end of the song, you miss the bar 26, I watch your video, you play bar 25 then to bar 27.
And the harmonic you played very good, very clean and clear, I play it alomst not can be heard.Do you have good methods? :D
The whole song you play it very musically, I like it!
congratulation!:)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”