D04 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

We are now going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 114 numbers 17, 18, 19 - Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES - ESCALAS
The following videos correspond to numbers 17, 18 and 19 on page 114. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, working to perfect the technique of position-shifting up and down the neck.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

- page 124 Delcamp, Jean-François ARPÈGES - ARPEGGI - ARPEGGIOS – ARPEGIOS

Youtube

Youtube

Finally we'll look at 5 pieces, pages 22, 54, 55, 56, 57, 78, 79 and 88.
- page 22 Dowland, John Mistris Winters Jumpe
Here we have a "jig". 6/8 time has two beats to the bar. The strong beats are on the first and fourth quaver (eighth note). The phrase structure (see previous lessons) is of 4 bars. Bars 5 to 8 are a division (see lesson D04 n°3) on bars 1 to 4. The 3rd phrase finishes in bar 12 with a half cadence (imperfect cadence), that is one ending on the dominant. The piece concludes with a slightly modified repetition of bars 1 and 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_(m ... lf_cadence

Youtube

- page 54, 55 Sor, Fernando Exercice opus 35 n°22, en si mineur, Segovia n°5
The phrase structure is of 8 bars. This study is a polyphonic composition in three voices. At the beginning we have the impression of hearing just a single voice. In the first section, the times when you play two notes together are rare: the 1st beat of bars 1 and 9, and the 3rd beat of bar 13.
The polyphony is only fully expressed from bar 25, when the range of pitch (also known as ambitus or compass *) becomes wider and the bass notes start to appear on the first beat of the bar.

The rest stroke is well suited to bringing out the melody (the upper voice). Use the free stroke to play the accompaniment. In this study, from the beginning to bar 24, the melody takes place within a narrow range (a fifth). This narrow range calls for a low volume (mezzo piano or mezzo forte). From bar 25, the range becomes wider, calling for the fullest sound from the guitar, with an assertive volume (forte). From bar 33, go back to the mp or mf level. From bar 41 to the end, the range becomes wider again, so go back to a more powerful volume. Reduce the volume of the last two bars gradually to conclude the study mezzo piano.

Youtube

- page 56, 57 Sor, Fernando Valse opus 51 n°3
The phrase structure is of 8 bars. In this waltz, the melody of the first section, in E minor, takes place within a narrow range. For this E minor section, I advise a restrained articulation: "non legato" or "mezzo staccato" or maybe "portato".
http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory21.htm#accent
The range becomes wider in the second section in E major. In this E major section, the guitar is required to give its fullest sound with an assertive volume. For this section I advise a legato articulation.

Youtube

- page 78, 79 Paganini, Niccolò Perigoldino
There are many repetitions, so vary the tone colour to avoid monotony.
All the phrases start with an anacrusis (pick-up note or upbeat) on the 4th crotchet (quarter note). All the phrases end on the first crotchet (quarter note) of a bar.

The piece is in the key of A, and this key allows the 3 bass strings of the guitar to be used to their best effect: E (dominant) A (tonic) D (subdominant). Observe the precise length of the bass notes, and damp them by placing your thumb on the open string.

Youtube

- page 88 Tárrega, Francisco Estudio, en mi minor
Another piece in three voices. Here again I recommend that you use rest stroke for the melody (upper voice). The right-hand fingering is based on the most classic principle: the ring finger plays the first string, the middle finger plays the second, and the index finger plays the third, while the thumb plays strings 4, 5 and 6. To practise this type of fingering, see the arpeggios of Mauro Guiliani, pages 130 and 131 of volume D04.
Mauro Giuliani was the first teacher to publish a systematic study of arpeggios (http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... liani.html : Opus. 1 - Studio per la chitarra, Prima parte : 120 arpeggi).
I recommend that you practise a few arpeggios each day and change them regularly with the aim of studying all of them in two years. You can hear the mp3s of the 120 arpeggios recorded by Marco Cairone here: http://www.chitarraclassicadelcamp.com/ ... 32&t=25253 .

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 22 Dowland, John Mistris Winters Jumpe
- page 54, 55 Sor, Fernando Exercice opus 35 n°22, en si mineur, Segovia n°5
- page 88 Tárrega, Francisco Estudio, en mi minor

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Mistris Winters Jumpe
Exercice opus 35 n°22, en si mineur
Estudio, en mi minor

Angela Zhao
Mistris Winters Jumpe
Estudio, en mi minor

Dennis Stewart
Mistris Winters Jumpe
Estudio, en mi minor
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Angela Zhao » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi classmate
This is my assignments,thank you comments!

Estudio, en mi minor

Youtube

Youtube

Mistris Winters Jumpe

Youtube

:merci:

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Angela, congratulations for your recordings

The Tarrega estudio you play absolutely beautyful. The tone you get is rich and warm. It feels like you really enjoy playing it. There is a noticable gap on bar 4 and 5, just long enough to get noticed. I think for this years lessons this is your best recording so far!
:bravo:

Same on the Fernando Sor exerciese, you have a wonderful tone. Threre is the ocasional string buzz. Also in bar 47 you play the F# again which is supposed to carry over from bar 46. Its probably the longest song we have learned so far and its very hard to play it clean the whole way. You have done a good job on that.

In the first half of the Mistris Winters Jumpe you are out of rhythm. All the dotted notes are played too short. In the second part you palyed them correctly.

All in all i think your recording for this lesson are very good!

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:34 pm

Indeed Angela your tone is very nice on the Tarrega estudio.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:18 am

Hi Rick
Thank you for your comment!

Yes the Tarrega estudio is my favorite song,I like it very much! it's not easy let every note clear,there is one large extension, thank you give me encourage!

I saw on M1 of Mistris Winters Jumpe, the dot note not correct ,thank you indicater to me.
:merci:

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:40 am

Hi Angela, i am away from home currently and i am not able to upload my recordings for this lesson right now. I should be able to post them in about 3 weeks time.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:18 am

Hi Dennis

Don't worry, we can wait for your new video when you have time. :bye:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi Angela. I have listened your Sor's Study,

I think you don't follow the advice of M. Delcamp: "The rest stroke is well suited to bringing out the melody (the upper voice). Use the free stroke to play the accompaniment".

Attention at the last bar: the last upper F ist an extension of the F before and don't must be played again.

Regards.
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Here are finaly my submissions for this lessons. The Fernando Sor was a real challenge, lots of unwanted string muting and buzzing. I was recording it probably 20 times and im am still not happy at all with it, but its time to move on... Thanks for any comments and advice!

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”