D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
These exercises will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
The rest stroke is a way to play the string with a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to move until it comes to rest on the adjacent string. Working on this technique will allow you to discover the best position for your plucking hand (the right hand if you are right-handed).
If you are already used to plucking the strings with free strokes, the simultaneous rest strokes with the thumb and a finger will seem difficult to you, even impossible. But be assured, with patience and perseverence, this difficulty will be resolved in 30 minutes. I know from experience that the first tries are truly discouraging, particularly for adults. It is for this reason that I wish to reassure you in advance, take heart, you will be able to do it.
Page 55 : Jean-François Delcamp - Scales in third, number 6. (Free stroke)
Page 58 : Jean-François Delcamp - Rest stroke, number 16. (Rest stroke)

Youtube

Youtube

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

Finally, we'll look at 3 tunes, pages 30 to 32. These tunes will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
Anonyme : Ricercar (Rest stroke)
Fernando Sor : Leçon I opus 60 (Rest stroke - Free stroke)
Matteo Carcassi : Exercice opus 59 (Rest stroke)

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Page 55 : Jean-François Delcamp - Gammes en tierces - Scales in third, numéro 6. (Free stroke)
Anonyme : Ricercar (Rest stroke)
Fernando Sor : Leçon I opus 60 (Rest stroke - Free stroke)

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Scales in third, numéro 6
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Lucian Bistreanu
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Georgi Chernishov
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Binh NguyenKhac
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Andreas Hanuschek
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Rodaan Peralta
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Nelson Lee
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60
:( + ♫ = :)

Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you for another lesson.
Here are my first attempts of 'Scales in third, numéro 6' and 'Ricecar'

Youtube

Ricecar

Youtube

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Lucian, nice but I would suggest spending more time on learning "Ricercar". I do the same mistakes as you when I don't remember what the next note is.
By the way, I liked how tender you were playing. A friend of mine said my performace sounded like a march :)
Last edited by Georgi Chernishov on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Here are my 3 submissions.

Gammes en tierces 6 (updated)

Youtube

Ricercar

Youtube

Fernando Sor Lecon I opus 60

Youtube
Last edited by Georgi Chernishov on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi classmates, here are my submissions, please comment :D

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Binh, wonderful as usual!

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Georgi Chernishov wrote:Lucian, nice but I would suggest spending more time on learning "Ricercar". I do the same mistakes as you when I don't remember what the next note is.
By the way, I liked how tender you were playing. A friend of mine said my performace sounded like a march :)
Georgi, that's what I intend to do, spending more time practicing, not only 'Ricecar' but the others too. I'm not pleased with my submission so far and I hope to see some progress (later than sooner :)
On the other hand, your march sounds pretty good to me. The only thing I see, if I'm not wrong, you missed two measure in your 'scales in third', but I guess this is not a big deal, your 'Ricecar' is much better than mine :)
Thanks for watching and for your words.

By the way, Binh very well done, but please verify if your last measure in 'scales in third' is not missing.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Oh, thanks Lucian, I did miss the last bar. Gerogi and I both missed some bar :D . And you look sharp in your new hair cut and beard, Lucian.

@ Georgi Thank you for listening. In Gammes en tierces 6, when we both use i and m fingers, try to pull your fingers toward the right hand palm. Don't pull upward.

Watch this video at 5:12. He describes it better than me

Youtube

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 am

Greetings all,

Nice work overall..

Lucian
Be mindful of the bass notes that have longer durations, some are getting muted.

Georgi
Scale in 3rds is missing 1.5 measures worth of notes :-)

Binh
Scale in 3rds is missing the last measures notes :-)
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 am

[quote="John Montes"]Greetings all,

Nice work overall..

Lucian
Be mindful of the bass notes that have longer durations, some are getting muted.

Thank you John, now that you pointed that out, I realize my mistakes (regarding the bass notes, because there are others that I'm aware of :D ), and with the corrections about measures, I can recalibrate my brain to understand that one measure is one measure :D

Here is my tentative of Lecon I opus 60, whose second part I find it more difficult

Youtube

Binh, thank you, and by the way you look sharp too :D

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi Lucian & Georgi, Please take some time to look at the video that Binh posted. It will helps with the LH position a lot. I viewed the same video and it's awesome. Nice work...

Binh, I just noticed you have your sheet music on a flat surface. Does that make it hard to read the sheet music? How has your left shoulder been feeling? I notice you are in the classical sitting position at times. Regardless, you sound wonderful.

Regards, Nelson.
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas Hanuschek

Post by Andreas Hanuschek » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Hello classmates here are my submissions

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Sorry for my thumb. Damned he looks over the freatboard. Now it's time to increase the speed
Andreas (Bremerhaven/Germany)

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 am

Nelson Lee wrote:Hi Lucian & Georgi, Please take some time to look at the video that Binh posted. It will helps with the LH position a lot. I viewed the same video and it's awesome. Nice work...
Regards, Nelson.
Hi Nelson, thanks for your help. I watched the videos, for RH and for LH, and I found them very helpful. I think that, in order to take full benefit from them, first, I need to find the 'almost perfect classical guitar position', I'm still struggling with that. Meanwhile, I try to correct my hands relative to the 'transitory position' :)
Thanks again,
Regards, Lucian

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:00 am

I have edited my posting adding Fernando Sor Lecon I opus 60 and updating Gammes en tierces 6. I hope now the submissions can be accepted for the lesson as complete.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Georgi Chernishov wrote:I have edited my posting adding Fernando Sor Lecon I opus 60 and updating Gammes en tierces 6. I hope now the submissions can be accepted for the lesson as complete.
Yes, its accepted and updated on the page 1 index of this discussion thread.

Sometime later this evening, an automated job will scan all of the p1 exam submission listings for D0x levels and then it will update the Qualification for 2017 exams aggregate page where all of the lesson submissions are tracked in more detail indicating who is qualified and or what pieces are missing etc...
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”