D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 78 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.
Descending slurs are produced by pulling the string with a left hand finger (and letting it snap off the fingertip). The more parallel this movement is to the plane of the fingerboard (i.e. towards the adjacent string where there is one), the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.

Youtube

Youtube

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces with a phrase structure of 4 bars. Phrase structure is the division of the larger musical phrase into parts of equal length, with the most common division being into sections of 4 bars. This division is linked not only to walking, but also to dance, poetry and singing.
- page 30 Thoinot ARBEAU (1519-1595) PAVANE
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 78 number 19, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59
I ask every one of the students to take part in at least one of the musical games. If the games proposed seem too difficult for you, it is up to you to suggest new ones, adapted to your level and designed with your own rules.

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 (pages 85, 86) regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

David Florea
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Jenni Gribble
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Binh NguyenKhac
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Salvatore Lovinello
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Jonathan Lamb
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59
:( + ♫ = :)

Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:39 pm

The last 8 measures of the maestro's example are not repeated in the Carulli. In the Carcassi D.C. al Fine is not repeated. Are we to follow the maestro's example or play it as written?

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:The last 8 measures of the maestro's example are not repeated in the Carulli. In the Carcassi D.C. al Fine is not repeated. Are we to follow the maestro's example or play it as written?
You can choose, I'll accept either version as a qualifying piece.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:08 pm

ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:59 am

Here's a rough version of Andantino. I am playing it on my new Cordoba Mini Guitar, so I am not sure it counts as a submission. There are also some flubs and I am missing the repeats.

Mostly, I just wanted to show you my new toy.

Youtube
Last edited by Jenni Gribble on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:13 am

David,

Your slurs are nice and loud. You've inspired me to work at making my slurs louder. Also, I think your other two recordings are certainly a great start. You seem more comfortable with Sauteuse. To me, your hand looks to be in a good position.

Jenni

P.S. I am glad I am not the only that has pet sounds in their recordings. I think I heard a dog and a bird in some of those. :D

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:37 am

Thanks

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:39 am

Jenni, Very nice sound! Keep it up.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Jenni lovely, lovely, lovely!!!

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:32 am

Here's my submission videos :)

Youtube

Youtube

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Binh,

How critical do want us to be?

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:49 pm

I appreciate your feedback and tips, Salvatore. I'm blind to my own mistakes.And I'm glad that you have any suggestion for me :D

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 am

Binh,

You play very well. It is very even. I hear a technically almost perfect performance akin to a midi playback, but, I don't hear Binh in the Andante. I think you are much more expressive than this piece would have us believe. This can be a hauntingly beautiful song when played with the right amount of expression and emotion. You have wowed me with your proficiency. Now wow me with your interpretation...

I hope I'm not being to harsh. I really do think you play much better than I do.

posting.php?mode=smilies&f=41&start=50#

Sal

PS That is supposed to be an applauding smilie above my name. All I see is a URL

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:53 am

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:Binh,

You play very well. It is very even. I hear a technically almost perfect performance akin to a midi playback, but, I don't hear Binh in the Andante. I think you are much more expressive than this piece would have us believe. This can be a hauntingly beautiful song when played with the right amount of expression and emotion. You have wowed me with your proficiency. Now wow me with your interpretation...

I hope I'm not being to harsh. I really do think you play much better than I do.

posting.php?mode=smilies&f=41&start=50#

Sal

PS That is supposed to be an applauding smilie above my name. All I see is a URL
Thank you for your kind words and positive feedback. It's really make my day :D . But because of my poor English, I couldn't understand your meaning, like in this sentence "I don't hear Binh in the Andante. I think you are much more expressive than this piece would have us believe."

You want me to play more expressively or less expressively? Sorry :lol: I often read simple English sentences like : you go, you don't go, she eats, she ate and something like that. So I read over and over your reply but because of the language barrier, I couldn't understand. :?

Could you please explain more? :merci: By the way, I really like to watch you play in a video, not audio, so we can exchange ideas and help each other.

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:57 am

Binh, How wonderful! Your LH fingering is awesome.

Regarding Salvatore's feedback about expressing yourself with the piece, please listen to your video recording and then listen to our teacher's recording. Close your eyes and listen to them.

Youtube

Youtube

Left Brain (Logic)
I sense you know the piece, so listen CRITICALLY. What do you notice with dynamics (soft/loud), tempo (slow/loud), tone (sharp/fuzzy/bright/dim). See if you can incorporate these elements into your playing.

Other suggestions:
===============

Right Brain (Creativity)
Try finding other recordings of this piece from other guitarist and listen to how they play it.

I believe you have memorized this piece... if not, try memorizing it and play without the sheet music. Try playing the piece in total darkness or close your eyes.

Try to assign an emotional memory to the pieces and express that memory with the music.

Try not to think about the technical elements in the pieces as you play, since you know these things already. Close your eyes, play at a comfortable tempo, breathe deeply, close your eyes, listen to your sound, listen to yourself.

Some videos about playing emotionally:

https://www.rockguitarpower.com/playing ... otionally/

I hope this helps. Courage and let's go forth. Regards, Nelson.
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”