D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jenni Gribble
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Postby Jenni Gribble » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Concerning this discussion about rhythm, I do think there is a difference between solo playing and other types of playing. One can vary rhythm for effect when playing alone, but this can't be done in groups, so a musician needs to be able to follow rhythm precisely. Also, for someone who is relatively new at playing classical guitar, I do think that following the rhythm as written is beneficial--otherwise correct rhythm may not be possible later.

My first instrument was classical guitar and I am basically returning to it after many years of not playing. I confess that as a classical guitar playing teen/child, I did not properly learn rhythm. It was only when I began learning other instruments and singing in choirs that I learned the importance of following a precise rhythm. Both approaches have merit, but I tend to think that one should learn to follow the rules before breaking them.

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Jenni Gribble wrote:Concerning this discussion about rhythm, I do think there is a difference between solo playing and other types of playing. One can vary rhythm for effect when playing alone, but this can't be done in groups, so a musician needs to be able to follow rhythm precisely. Also, for someone who is relatively new at playing classical guitar, I do think that following the rhythm as written is beneficial--otherwise correct rhythm may not be possible later.

My first instrument was classical guitar and I am basically returning to it after many years of not playing. I confess that as a classical guitar playing teen/child, I did not properly learn rhythm. It was only when I began learning other instruments and singing in choirs that I learned the importance of following a precise rhythm. Both approaches have merit, but I tend to think that one should learn to follow the rules before breaking them.

Amen. Can't describe better than that, Jenni :D .

Before playing classical guitar, I played acoustic guitar/steel strings guitar. When I went to a guitar class and met many classmates, I saw the most common mistake and hard to fix of new guitar players is unable to follow the beat.

Jonathan Lamb

Postby Jonathan Lamb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:59 pm

I use a length of wavy-rubberized 'cloth' which is not really cloth, more like an extruded warp and woof of very, very loose 'weave' where the latex threads are stuck together to form the sheeting. It's commonly sold in hardware stores as anti-scratch or friction-mats for household use, e.g. for china ornaments on slippery tables, or for birdcages and the like. This is enough to stabilize the guitar and lets me create a fixed posture.
This trick by the way I copied from a concert performer when she was in Cambridge a few years ago.

Jonathan Lamb

Postby Jonathan Lamb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:06 pm

:guitare: Thanks for your advice about sticking to the beat Binh. It looks like the the race is on to get ready and record our offerings rock steady!!

As regards the links and explanation you've requested as a follow-up on those techniques, as seen on Delcamp.net, specifically for amplifying the emotional aspect of your playing, I am not ignoring you; just taking my time. :-)
It's sensitive!

Jonathan Lamb

Postby Jonathan Lamb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:13 pm

I am thinking of doing a side-line in diamond nail files, rubber knee mats and the like... all cheap good value stuff for musicians. Every time I have McDonalds, I get a few extra coffee-stirrers and then glue some emery paper (fine and ultra-fine) to them. The latter are good for sharpening your pencils too. Maybe a wholesale box of neon hi-lighters, some good quality rubber erasers, etc etc. Any offers?

Jenni Gribble

Postby Jenni Gribble » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Jonathan Lamb wrote:I use a length of wavy-rubberized 'cloth' which is not really cloth, more like an extruded warp and woof of very, very loose 'weave' where the latex threads are stuck together to form the sheeting. It's commonly sold in hardware stores as anti-scratch or friction-mats for household use, e.g. for china ornaments on slippery tables, or for birdcages and the like. This is enough to stabilize the guitar and lets me create a fixed posture.
This trick by the way I copied from a concert performer when she was in Cambridge a few years ago.

Inventive! :bravo:

Yeah I have a cushion, that doesn't seem to put the guitar in the right spot and slips a lot. Everyone has slightly different geometry, so I can see how customization would help.

Salvatore Lovinello

Postby Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 pm

I used to use rubberized cloth. It's cheap. It keeps the guitar from sliding around. It doesn't fix the odd sitting position. It left residue on my Martin guitar's finish.

Then I tried this for a short while: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=107244 It was good but not great. I can sit in any chair as long as my thighs are perpendicular to the ground. My back is straight. My knees are even. I have far less fatigue. No more back problems from sitting in an odd positions for too long. The support would collapse after some playtime, probably due to vibration. It never really felt right. It is not as stable as I would have liked. I was afraid of damaging my guitar by over tightening. You can use it for multiple guitars, but it has to be readjusted each time. No more foot stool! I have a friend who teaches guitar at Indiana University who swears by his Murata support.

I now use a Barnett support: Mod note: Commercial link removed.
I can sit in any chair as long as my thighs are perpendicular to the ground. My back is straight. My knees are even. I have far less fatigue. No more back problems from sitting in an odd positions for too long. The guitar doesn't slide around. Extra sets of magnets allows the use of the support on several guitars. No more foot stool! I did have a problem with the support losing its position after an hour or more of playing probably due from vibration. I fixed that by fitting the above mentioned rubberized cloth between the two long adjustable supports and adding a lock washer to the tightening nut. I have been using it for months now. I'm very happy with it. If you're not handy have someone who is install the interior magnets for you. The directions are clear. Everything is reversible.

If money is an issue go with number 1. If you're afraid of or don't want to bother sticking things to the inside of your guitar go with the second choice.

I know there are other choice that either use suction cups(no way!!!) to attach the support or fits on the end pin of a guitar. Classical guitars normally don't have end pins. So if you go with the latter choice you'll have to involve a luthier.

Good luck.

Jenni Gribble

Postby Jenni Gribble » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:30 am

Thank you Salvatore. I use a foot stool, but it does not raise the guitar enough. I will look into the device.

Salvatore Lovinello

Postby Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:13 am

Sauteuse Opus 59
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jonathan Lamb

Postby Jonathan Lamb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Some nice touches in your Sauteuse, Sal. Good rhythm throughout too, and sections 1& 3 in fine shape. Not sure whether you miss a note at thenend o certain bars in section 2,...? Overall, p-r-e-t-t-y- g-o-o-d work!

Salvatore Lovinello

Postby Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Thank you Johnathan.

Slurs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:00 am

Jenni Gribble wrote:Here is my recording of Sauteuse. My thumb creeps up to the top of the neck at times. I noticed this after watching the video.

Youtube

:bravo: Very nice playing Jenni, I liked it! :) :bye:

Jenni Gribble

Postby Jenni Gribble » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:19 am

Here are my slurs. Sorry I didn't post them sooner. I caught a cold and was out for a couple of days. They aren't consistent, but I am confident with more practice, I will be able to do them.

Binh NguyenKhac

Postby Binh NguyenKhac » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:08 pm

My last submission. fewww all done.

Slur exercise:

Youtube

Thanks

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”