D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 91 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LEGATO STACCATO
- page 92 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GLISSANDO
- pages 96-97 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MORDANTS ET TRILLES
:idea: :arrow: Level D02-D08, Ornaments in baroque music
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 37, 38, 39 and 40. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 15 and 19.
Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LAS HACHAS
Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Youtube

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 97 numéro 39 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MORDANTS ET TRILLES
- page 19 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Chu Bun
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Colin Bullock
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Bert Stendahl
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Andrei Puhach
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Ed Butler
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

DaveMoutrie
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Binh NguyenKhac
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Jose Ramon Martinez
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Warley Lima
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA
:( + ♫ = :)

Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 am

Hi,Gentlemen,
This month music sheet breakdown.

- page 97 numéro 39 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MORDENTS ET TRILLES
- page 19 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

a. page 97 numéro 39 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MORDANTS ET TRILLES
It is in the category of Ornaments

Definition Mordents: "Upper mordent
Rapidly play the principal note, the next higher note (according to key signature) then return to the principal note for the remaining duration. In most music, the mordent begins on the auxiliary note, and the alternation between the two notes may be extended. In hand bells, this symbol is a "shake" and indicates the rapid shaking of the bells for the duration of the note.

Lower mordent (inverted)
Rapidly play the principal note, the note below it, then return to the principal note for the remaining duration. In much music, the mordent begins on the auxiliary note, and the alternation between the two notes may be extended."wiki.
Mordent wiki link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordent

Trill definition: "A rapid alternation between the specified note and the next higher note (according to key signature) within its duration, also called a "shake". When followed by a wavy horizontal line, this symbol indicates an extended, or running, trill. Trills can begin on either the specified root note or the upper auxiliary note, though the latter is more prevalent in modern performances.[citation needed] In percussion notation, a trill is sometimes used to indicate a tremolo (q.v.)."wiki

Trill in C Major

1.Time Signature: 3/4
2.Tempo:84
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:16
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Damping:Not defined
7.Repeats: No
8.Special effects:Not defined
9."#" symbol: Yes,C#,F#
11.Lyrics: No
12.Rest:Yes,Quarter notes
13. Articulation:No
14.Improvisation:No
15.Slur:Yes
16.Ornament:Yes
17.Tie:No
18.Barre:No
19.Triplet:Yes

b.page 19 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

1.Time Signature: 6/8
2.Tempo:69
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:8
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Damping:Yes,2
7.Repeats: Yes,measures 1 to 4, measures 5 to 8
8.Special effects:Not defined
9."#" symbol: Yes,C#,F#,
11.Lyrics: No
12.Rest:No
13. Articulation:No
14.Improvisation:No
15.Slur:No
16.Ornament:Yes,Trill
17.Tie:No
18.Barre:No
19.Triplet:No,If you play alternate scheme,triplet,Slurs used.

Few images,I prepared and posted here.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=89320&start=270

Optional music sheet symbol for Staccato,Legato
This you tube link demonstrate Staccato technique.Please visit the link.

----://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-J2YYGw4rc

Legato definition:In music performance and notation, legato [leˈɡaːto] (Italian for "tied together"; French lié; German gebunden) indicates that musical notes are played or sung smoothly and connected. That is, the player makes a transition from note to note with no intervening silence.wiki
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Zafar Haq on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:37 am

I have a question gang. Are there any advantages in alternating the fretting fingers when doing a trill? For example,
3131 (or 4141) pull off/hammer on/pull off using the same finger 3 (or 4)
instead of
3141 pull off with 3 then hammer on/pull off using 4

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Chu Bun wrote:I have a question gang. Are there any advantages in alternating the fretting fingers when doing a trill? For example,
3131 (or 4141) pull off/hammer on/pull off using the same finger 3 (or 4)
instead of
3141 pull off with 3 then hammer on/pull off using 4
I find it easier to use the 1st method. I'm practicing the 2nd as I suspect there is an advantage at speed, but I'm finding with 3141 my 4 isn't quite as strong so the hammer on doesn't come through. 2131 works ok, so I think I need to develop the strength.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:58 pm

I am with Colin, it seems the natural finger movement is 2121. I need to slow down and think about it to do 2131.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:42 pm

After some practice I'm fine with both, but still think using the same finger is simpler.
I'm having major problems with trilling and damping together. I guess multitasking is not my forte, cannot focus on both left and right hands at the same time.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi Chu - I agree with the damping combined with trilling. Doing a rest stroke with the thumb while trilling is difficult.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:21 am

I wonder why there is no explanation at all how to play staccato when crossing strings (page 93 n19 FA Majeur for example). Technique is apparently very different than playing a regular scale. At least one-two sentences would be good enough :(
In particular I don't understand how to mute note #2 G when playing the scale with 'i' and 'm' (starting from 'i' as show in the video).
Cordoba C9

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:06 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:I wonder why there is no explanation at all how to play staccato when crossing strings (page 93 n19 FA Majeur for example). Technique is apparently very different than playing a regular scale. At least one-two sentences would be good enough :(
In particular I don't understand how to mute note #2 G when playing the scale with 'i' and 'm' (starting from 'i' as show in the video).
You mute the string by placing a right hand finger on it as soon as you have played it. The finger to use for muting depends on which note follows after the one to be muted. If the next note is played on the same string, use for muting the same finger you're going to use to play the next note, by just placing it on the string earlier than you normally would. If the next note is played on a different string, use for muting the same finger you played the note with. In the video G is both played and muted with m finger.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:58 am

Marko Räsänen wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:I wonder why there is no explanation at all how to play staccato when crossing strings (page 93 n19 FA Majeur for example). Technique is apparently very different than playing a regular scale. At least one-two sentences would be good enough :(
You mute the string by placing a right hand finger on it as soon as you have played it. The finger to use for muting depends on which note follows after the one to be muted. If the next note is played on the same string, use for muting the same finger you're going to use to play the next note, by just placing it on the string earlier than you normally would. If the next note is played on a different string, use for muting the same finger you played the note with. In the video G is both played and muted with m finger.
Marko, thank you for a good explanation! I watched the video multiple times (including at 0.5 rate) but still did not see how it was done...
Now it is very clear from your words.
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:09 pm

I will be travelling for awhile so I need to post these earlier than planned. A lot of work still needing to be done.

Lesson 6 - Trills C Major

Youtube

Lesson 6 - LA MINONA DE CATALUNA

Youtube

ED Butler

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Ed Butler wrote:I will be travelling for awhile so I need to post these earlier than planned. A lot of work still needing to be done.
Ed
I think you have missed the beginning of the Cataluna. The trills sound ok, see whether they survive at speed :(

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Ed Butler wrote:I will be travelling for awhile so I need to post these earlier than planned. A lot of work still needing to be done.

ED Butler
Hi Ed, I think the trills are great indeed (I'm struggling to produce consistent sounds), but the piece is not complete :(
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:07 am

It's really difficult to produce consistent sound. The 6/8 time doesn't help either. So far all my attempts are awful. Compared to monsieur Delcamp's clip, they sound like a totally different piece!

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:50 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Marko Räsänen wrote:
Marko, thank you for a good explanation! I watched the video multiple times (including at 0.5 rate) but still did not see how it was done...
Now it is very clear from your words.
Andrei, ...would you pls upload a video of technique once you nail it down? :daccord:
Edna Lopez

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”