D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

We are now going to work on a series of exercises:
- pages 115, 116 Delcamp, Jean-François Gammes, numéros 20, 21 et 22
Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, working to perfect the technique of position-shifting up and down the neck.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

- page 125 Delcamp, Jean-François BARRÉ - BARRÉ - BARRÉ – CEJILLA
You have to be careful and listen to what your body is telling you when you begin to practise the barré. Be sure to keep in mind that if you overdo your practising of the barré, you risk developing tendonitis which often takes a long time to heal and will cause you a good deal of stress if, like me, you love the guitar with a passion. Pain is a warning sign that should be respected. As soon as you feel pain, you should have the wisdom to stop practising immediately until the next day. In the 80's, I wasn't prepared to listen to the pain caused by practising the barré, and only a total break from the guitar lasting a whole year enabled me to start playing again. Now I stop immediately at the first warning sign of pain. Since I started being careful, I've had no more problems.

To acquire the technique for the barré, it is essential above all not to force it. The ideal is to practise a little, but every day.

- For greater effectiveness, the thumb is placed opposite the middle finger, rather than behind the index finger making the barré.
- Place the index finger very close to the fret, almost on top of it.
- Make sure that your shoulder, forearm, wrist and hand are really relaxed. Only the fingers should be exerting a light pressure, otherwise you'll be heading for disaster and at risk of jeopardizing your future progress by giving yourself tendonitis. Relaxing the arm and forearm allows you to take advantage of the weight of the arm and forearm to help the index finger to press more easily against the strings.
- Avoid bending the left wrist, as that will hurt and will impede the action of the fingers. Find the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to make the barré without bending your wrist.

- The creases of the finger joints cause some slight problems. In particular the crease of the joint between the last two bones of the index finger (the middle and distal phalanges).

To illustrate this, here are 2 photos of my right hand index finger ready to make a barré (I am left handed). I am not pressing on the strings, so that the crease of the joint is more visible.
1. In this photograph, the joint crease of the index finger is situated exactly over the third string, so the third string will not be pressed fully against the fingerboard, and the sound will be muffled or non-existent.
joint crease of the index finger on the 3rd string
2. A solution is to position this crease where it will not cause a problem (between the strings)
joint crease of the index finger between the 3rd and 4th strings

Practising the barré demands patience. The first results of this practice (improvement in strength) only become noticeable after several weeks or months of daily practice.

The tension of the strings (normal, hard, or extra hard) also plays a role in barrés. A set of "extra hard" tension strings requires more strength than a "normal" tension set. A "normal" tension set of strings and a low action* will help you.
* The action of a guitar is the distance between the stationary string and the frets, usually measured at the 12th fret. You can have the action adjusted by a luthier.

Youtube

Finally we'll look at 4 pieces.
- page 6, 7 Milán, Don Luys Pavane I

Youtube

- pages 50, 51 Sor, Fernando Exercice opus 35 n°13, en do majeur, Segovia n°2
This piece consists of a melody with accompaniment. Bring out the melody notes (those with the stem pointing up) by using rest strokes with your third finger. Play the accompaniment (the notes with the stem pointing down) quietly, with gentle free strokes using the thumb, middle and index fingers.
These two simultaneous strokes, one a strongly played rest stroke, the other a gentle free stroke, will seem very difficult, or even impossible, to achieve. But don't worry, my students manage this double stroke after 15 minutes. The first few minutes of practising this right-hand skill are always agonizing for students, because they feel that they will never succeed. In my lessons, my role is to reassure the students and encourage them to persevere. Often, after 15 minutes of repeating the same movements, students start to get there. Sometimes they are quite amazed at having succeeded at what seemed impossible. Because by repeatedly failing to perform rest and free strokes simultaneously, you end up convincing yourself that it's impossible. In short, persevere! Have courage!

Be patient, stay relaxed, don't get annoyed with yourself, don't curse me, just repeat the same movements over and over again while making an effort to get it right. In a few hours or a few days you will achieve mastery of this simultaneous rest and free stroke. This technique is used in the piece "Jeux interdits".

Youtube

- page 86 Coste, Napoléon Barcarolle opus 51
Barcarolle opus 51 is in two sections, each of 16 bars. It has a phrase structure of 4 bars. The piece is in the key of A, and this key allows the optimal use of the 2 bass strings of the guitar: E (dominant), A (tonic). Observe the exact duration of the bass notes, and damp them by placing your thumb on the string as and where indicated by the damping symbols and finger indications on the first line.

Youtube

- page 93 Francesco Roggi Lu primm'ammore
This piece consists of a melody with accompaniment. Bring out the melody notes (those with the stem pointing up) by using rest strokes with your third finger. Play the accompaniment (the notes with the stem pointing down) quietly, with gentle free strokes using the thumb, middle and index fingers.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- pages 50, 51 Sor, Fernando Exercice opus 35 n°13, en do majeur, Segovia n°2
- page 86 Coste, Napoléon Barcarolle opus 51
- page 93 Francesco Roggi Lu primm'ammore

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Exercice opus 35 n°13, en do majeur
Barcarolle opus 51
Lu primm'ammore

Angela Zhao
Barcarolle opus 51
Lu primm'ammore

Dennis Stewart
Barcarolle opus 51
Lu primm'ammore
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:09 am

Hi classmate
this is my assignments, welcome to comment.thank you! :merci:

Youtube

Barcarolle opus 51

Youtube

Lu primm'ammore

Youtube
Last edited by Angela Zhao on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:28 am

have post

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:32 pm

Very well, Angela.

The Barcarolle, in my opinion, too much speedy. It is a romantic promenade in a boat, through the Venetian waterways. A slow and peaceful promenade.

In "Lu primm'ammore" you don't remark well the melody. It is a Neapolitan song. You can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrOb4lOmbVc
Sing the melody inside you when you play!
Also: you do the slur of quavers during less the first note than second note (bars 1, 2, 3 etc.). Both must have the same duration.

:bye:
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:32 am

Hi Jesus
Thank you comments.
They are very important for me.
Barcarolle I'll try a little speed,
Lu primm'ammore I still practice now, and I get a little good,and get better in slur,in this video,I play it not in duration.
Thank you very much! :merci:

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate
this is my assignments, welcome to comment.thank you! :merci:

Hi Angela, sorry again for being late! Now for your recordings, they are once again well done!

On the Fernando Sor Exercise i am not sure if you always use the rest-stroke for the melody notes. Its not very clear on the video. If you do, please just forget my comment. The accompaniment notes are played just a bit too loud, in my opinion. I am currently biting out my nails on bars 18 - 23, which you play very nicely. Also it is played clean with no string buzzing.

The first thing i noticed on the Barcarolle is that the E and A bass strings are not always damped at the right timing. Sometimes you let them ring out without dampening at all. While without a doubt you are making great progress in your playing, i think you could concentrate on the string dampening a bit more. The harmonics you play using both hands which sounds absoulutely fine. Have you ever played them by just using your picking hand?

On the Francesco Roggi you are out of rhythm on the hammer on notes in the first 4 bars. Jesus has already mentioned this.

:bravo:

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:06 am

Thank you Dennis

You must watch my video carefully and give me so many valued comments.

About the damp I feel it's not easy to do everyone, but I will try my best to do, and more practice can help me. :D
and the harmonic I use the pick hand.

The Roggi, I know the mistake and will correct them. Thank you!
:merci:

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:48 am

Here is my first recording of this lesson. I am a bit behind with the other two. Hopefully i make it in time...

The hammer on/pull off in bar 13 i messed up twice :x

Youtube

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:17 pm

And here is my recording of the Fernando Sor exercise. Lots of unwanted string muting on the barre chords. Thanks for any comments and advice.

Youtube

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi Dennis. If you have difficulties, you can try using strings with low tension (or super low tension) and so make easier the barre. I have made that with a good result.

Angela: I have seen again your video of Sor Exercise and I have seen that you don't do well the measure 30. The F in 6th string must be sustained all the measure. So, to do the F in the 1st string you must act with the upper part of the index, not with the tip of the finger.
:chitarrista:
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Jesús Morote wrote:Hi Dennis. If you have difficulties, you can try using strings with low tension (or super low tension) and so make easier the barre. I have made that with a good result.
Hi Jesus, thanks for the comment. Unfortunately i just changed strings about a week ago and the bass strings are extra tension now. So i guess my fingers arent strong enough yet to apply the extra pressure. I will see how it goes, if the problem stays on i have to use lighter strings in the future.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:01 am

Hi Dennis

It's not easy to play slur, you can watch the video viewtopic.php?f=4&t=107739
, maybe it can help you.

And you must work hard,cause the two songs all need more practices.
Good luck to you!

Jesus: yes, I'll notice the measure 30, keep the F in all measure, also change the finger, thank you remind me. :merci:

Dennis Stewart

Post by Dennis Stewart » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi Dennis

It's not easy to play slur, you can watch the video viewtopic.php?f=4&t=107739
, maybe it can help you.

And you must work hard,cause the two songs all need more practices.
Good luck to you!

Jesus: yes, I'll notice the measure 30, keep the F in all measure, also change the finger, thank you remind me. :merci:
Hi Angela, thanks for the link and your comments. Here is the last of my recordings. I am falling behind a bit...

Youtube

abel

Post by abel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi Denis:
I have goods comments.
Greetings.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”