D05 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D05 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D05.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 131 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) EXTENSIONS
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers feel too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by using a capo so that you play on the higher frets which are closer together and your fingers will not have to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

- page 148 Degli arpeggi 48-98
Mauro Giuliani is the first teacher to have published a systematic study of arpeggios ( http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... liani.html : Opus. 1 - Studio per la chitarra, Prima parte : 120 arpeggi). I recommend that you practise a few arpeggios each day and change them regularly with the aim of studying all of them in two years. You can listen to the mp3s of the 120 arpeggios recorded by Marco Cairone here: http://www.chitarraclassicadelcamp.com/ ... 32&t=25253 .

Don't forget, thoughout the year, to work on scales (pages 136 to 142) several times per week.
Page 142, I suggest some varied rhythms which will help you to achieve greater speed.

Today we'll look at 5 pieces.
- page 12 Giulio Cesare Barbetta (ca. 1540-1603) Moresca detta le Canarie
The first part of the dance is based on a prolonged repetition of a B in the bass. This absence of movement in the bass note makes the first part easy to play. The bass in the second half is enriched at first by a new E, then by more and more notes, until eventually going through the whole scale in eighth notes (quavers) to finish. The second part is more difficult technically, in particular bars 30 to 32.

Youtube

- page 41 François Campion (1680-1748) Gigue en ré majeur
This gigue was published as a tablature in a work entitled "Nouvelles découvertes ..." (New discoveries ...). It is in the "French tablature" form, where letters of the alphabet indicate the frets where the fingers are to be placed on the neck. The 5 lines of the tablature correspond to the 5 strings of the baroque guitar.
In the following 2 videos, I play the gigue in its original version on baroque guitar, then the classical guitar version.

Youtube

Youtube

- page 83 Napoléon Coste (1806-1883) Leçon XXIV
The first phrase ends in bar 4 with a half cadence, then a run of sixteenth notes (semiquavers) leads us to a repetition of the first phrase which concludes with a perfect cadence in D minor. The melody in the second part, more fluid, is based on a constant flow of sixteenth notes (semiquavers). This second part ends with a pedal note (a sustained bass note) on the dominant (A) whose role is to prepare us to take pleasure in returning to the theme of the first part, in D minor, which ends the work.

Youtube

- page 84 Juliàn Arcas (1832-1882) Manuelito, waltz
Manuelito, to whom this waltz is dedicated, is the brother of Juliàn Arcas. After an introduction in octaves, the waltz starts in bar 16. The rhythm in triple time is by then well established. From bar 33 onwards, hemiolas abound and the 3/4 rhythm changes into a more exuberant 3/2 rhythm. Juliàn Arcas makes clear his aim to maintain a lightness by the use of fluid arpeggios (bars 53-56 and 61-63).

Youtube

- page 14 Julio Sagreras (1879-1942) Leccione III n°7 Las Terceras Lecciones De Guitarra
A study in arpeggios in A minor, where free stroke and rest stroke are mixed.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 84 Juliàn Arcas (1832-1882) Manuelito, waltz
- page 14 Julio Sagreras (1879-1942) Leccione III n°7 Las Terceras Lecciones De Guitarra

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

Exam qualifying submissions: :
Juliàn Arcas (1832-1882) Manuelito, waltz
Julio Sagreras (1879-1942) Lecciones III n°7

Esteban Crespi

Angela Zhao

vincent martin

Stewart Doyle

Rick Beauregard
:( + ♫ = :)

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:46 am

I've read through Manuelito and it doesn't appear too hard at least at very slow tempo. The runs in M 53-56 and 61-63 are manageable. At M 67 and 75 I think there is a misprint. The high e should be e#. It makes sense with the half bar of I and harmonically. I also looked at the video and JFD plays it as e#. As a last resort I checked last year's comments. Eric Caught it too.

Have fun with this one. Over half way through D06! WhooHoo.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:45 am

Hi classmate
Manuelito on M77 , how to play the portamento from e to b, e is on open first string, when to press, from video I can't look it clearly.
Thank you give me answer!

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:49 am

It is not a portamento, Angela, but an appogitura. Play open e then hammer the b.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:14 am

Yes, Rick, it's marked that way in the score, but M. Delcamp plays the grace note as 3rd fret g, sliding very quickly to 7th fret b. That's the way I've been practicing it in the past as well. I think it's probably easier to produce the intended effect that way.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:11 am

Hi, Marko. But in the score (the original score of Arcas), the grace note is an E (open string). Then, you must play an E, as Rick says. (But it is an "acciaccatura", not an "appoggiatura".)

http://bdh-rd.bne.es/viewer.vm?id=0000110582&page=1

:bye:
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:54 am

Hi Jesús, the grace note is an E in Delcamp version as well. My remark was only about how it is played in the demonstration video. The slide is so fast that it makes very little difference that it starts from g, not e. In my opinion, of course. Hammering on from open string may not give the B much sustain, depending on your technique and guitar, naturally.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:33 pm

You're right Marko. Hammering the open string just right is a little hit or miss for me. I'll try it the other way. Thanks for the correction Jesus. I could never get those right.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks for all the answer!
As Marko said, plays the grace note as 3rd fret g, sliding very quickly to 7th fret b,
I'd like to ask can I play open string E first then press the 3rd fret sliding quickly to 7th fret B?
It sounds similar to the Delcamp's video.
:merci:

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:53 pm

I noticed that JFD plays M49 and M51, 57 & 59 different than written. The slide and low e are quarter notes and he plays the chord twice in the measure. I like the variety in this interpretation because the piece gets kind of monotonous through all these repeats of the slide motif. Just an observation, and commentary, that as Leo Brouwer said, the composer's work is done when he writes the last note. The performer is free to interpret from there.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:27 am

hi Rick, indeed, I couldn't match the interpretation with the score, but find those variations quite fun. I guess we might also decide to make our own ones; as long as they are conscious and not errors
D05 - French Forum

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:14 am

Happy Birthday, Rick! :delcamp_fiesta: :ivresse: :fume:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:09 pm

:merci:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Esteban Crespi

Post by Esteban Crespi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Happy birthday Rick!

I'm uploading a first version of Sagreras, I'll try to improve it later...

Youtube

I'm going in a trip to England, I'll be there for 10 days so I have decided to take a guitar with me, even though I'm not sure if I'll have to much time to play. I'm a little scared both by the effect of the change in humidity in the guitar and by the handling of the guitar by the persons in the airport. I just hope they will allow me to pick it with me to the cabin as a hand luggage, so wish me good luck!

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Very nicely executed Esteban. :bravo:

Some tips for travel: check in early and try to be one of the first to board the flight with your guitar to ensure storage is available. Go for one of the coat rack storable areas first. It may not fit In the overhead depending. The aircraft. If you're on early and there's plenty of space they should not prevent you from carrying on your instrument on. I think we have some regulations to that effect in the US. Try insisting with the crew if they try to take it from you. But if you get on the plane late and there's no room your outta luck. But at least you can gate check it which reduces handling and potential for damage. Last resort insurance?? Good luck.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I share a birthday month with Sor (14) and Segovia (21). Good company.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”