D03 Classical guitar lesson 07

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 am

Totally agree with you Chu - nails are not absolutelly necessary for playing classical guitar, also it's an absolute pain when you break a nail. In fact prior to 1948 when nylon stings were first commercially available, no one would have used nails to play the classical guitar as it would have broken the strings typically made of cow or sheep intestines. RDLA written in 1896 would have been played without nails.

There are some very good guitarists that play without nails. Check out Tommy Emmanuel, finger style rather than classical but easily a match for many world class classical guitarists and he has been know to play some classical pieces.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Chu - thanks for the advice. I will keep working on it. I am growing the nails just to see the difference.

Ed

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Chu Bun wrote:Sorry for being late in the discussions. I was on Spring break then caught a flu afterward.
I agree with Dave. If you pull the string up and release it, the first and maximum swing will be in the downward direction and if the action of your guitar is too high, the string may hit the fret and make a twanging sound. Instead you should push the string down with your finger, then let the string slips up to make the sound. This is very similar to when you do a rest stroke. I remember reading somewhere your rest stroke and free stroke should be almost identical until the very last phase where the finger rests.
By the way, I don't think you really need to grow nails to play classical guitar. I guess most of us started too late to worry about reaching world class level, so a few disadvantages will probably not make much difference. I play without nails and I would say the only time I regress not growing nail is when I tried to learn the piece Recuerdos de la Alhambra. So I learn to hate that piece instead!
That's a very good explanation and great points, Chu.

Recuerdos de la Alhambra is a very advanced piece with tremolo throughout. What you are saying is it is hard to do tremolo without nails, right? Even with nails it is extremely difficult :lol: I guess I'll have to do tons of exercises and go really slowly before learning this piece. I tried a couple of first measures of Recuerdos at some point, can only play it at 1/4 of the original speed (so slow that the melody is barely recognizable and tremolo does not sound like tremolo at all).
Cordoba C9

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Lesson 07 :casque: :casque: :casque:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:Lesson 07 :casque: :casque: :casque:
Hi Bert, thank you for making your postings - I enjoyed listening to them. I like what you have done with the improvisation of the folias.

As for the Ghiribizzo, the timing is fairly consistant and the pull offs sound pretty good - though the poor sound quality makes it difficult to tell in places possibly due to a low pass cut out. I do hope you don't mind if I pull you up on couple of errors though.

You will notice that there is a base note at the beginning of each bar (measure) and the base note linked to a trebble, this means it has the same duration as the trebble. In bar one this is a crotchet or quarter note, so the base note lasts for the first beat of the bar and should be damped for the rest of the bar. In bar 2 it is a quaver or eighth note.

So what I am saying is that there should be damping on the base notes throughout the piece. You seem to have missed this.

In part 2 of this piece the key signature changes and it loses all the sharps. You have been playing part 2 the same as part 1. So in bar(measure) 17,18 etc. the c sharp becomes a c natural. You are still playing the c sharp as in part 1.

As for audio quality, the zoom h1 is an excellent option and not too expensive £85 uk.

Good luck Bert and keep practicing - I hope to have my version up soon.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Is anyone else struggling Ghibrizzo? I have been practicing this 5 day now and it seems I can't make a recording of it without faultering somewhere. I will have another bash at it before then end of the week and maybe slow it down a bit. In the mean time this is my best effort.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Dave - I thought you did a great job with the piece, just maybe rushed in a few areas that you were not comfortable. I think trying to slow it sown is a good idea.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks Ed, I may even put on the recording of Jean - Francois and play along with him to get my speed about right.

I look forward to hearing your next recording of this piece as well.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:15 pm

My submissions for this month

improvise arpeggios upon the harmonic sequence of "Folias"

Youtube

GHIRIBIZZO n°23
Very very raggy, needs more practice, but I'm running out of time and need to move on to this month.

Youtube

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Colin for the 2 pieces, I just watched your right hand. It was very stable and let the fingers do the movements. That is something I need to work on.

Ed Butler

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Nicely played Colin, you have all the base dampings in the Ghiribizzo spot on. There are some tricky bits in part c of the ghiribizzo - slides and stretches.

I like the way you take your time over a piece. I tend to rush things and make lots of mistakes.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:52 pm

This is my attempt at improvising on the saltern - thought I'd try it with a bit of tremelo.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:There are some tricky bits in part c of the ghiribizzo - slides and stretches.
Yes, this is the part I find more difficult, hitting the notes on the stretches. I might come back to it after the exam, but I think I will need to memorise sections in order to take my eyes off the music.

Your playing seems more solid and I think you are right, a slight slowing of tempo will get rid of your glitches.

Ah well, already behind on the next piece!

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:27 pm

My submissions for this month. I've been sick on and off for the whole month and didn't spend much time on practice.

Youtube

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My submissions for this month. I've been sick on and off for the whole month and didn't spend much time on practice.
Hey Chu, welcome back!
Great work, but in Ghiribizzo all bass notes are quarters (have half-measure duration) and thus should be muted correspondingly. This is a bit similar to our previous Ghiribizzo where bases were eights. I guess the base line is one of the main points of these pieces.
Cordoba C9

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”