D03 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Chu well done. Hope you are feeling better. I especially liked the later measures and watching your right hand/fingers moving over the notes.

Ed Butler

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for commenting.
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Hi Bert, thank you for making your postings - I enjoyed listening to them. I like what you have done with the improvisation of the folias.

As for the Ghiribizzo, the timing is fairly consistant and the pull offs sound pretty good - though the poor sound quality makes it difficult to tell in places possibly due to a low pass cut out. I do hope you don't mind if I pull you up on couple of errors though.

You will notice that there is a base note at the beginning of each bar (measure) and the base note linked to a trebble, this means it has the same duration as the trebble. In bar one this is a crotchet or quarter note, so the base note lasts for the first beat of the bar and should be damped for the rest of the bar. In bar 2 it is a quaver or eighth note.

So what I am saying is that there should be damping on the base notes throughout the piece. You seem to have missed this.

In part 2 of this piece the key signature changes and it loses all the sharps. You have been playing part 2 the same as part 1. So in bar(measure) 17,18 etc. the c sharp becomes a c natural. You are still playing the c sharp as in part 1.

As for audio quality, the zoom h1 is an excellent option and not too expensive £85 uk.

Good luck Bert and keep practicing - I hope to have my version up soon.
Never Mind the Bollocks

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:11 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My submissions for this month. I've been sick on and off for the whole month and didn't spend much time on practice.
Sorry to hear you've been ill Chu, hope you're feeling better now - had a touch of man flu myself, but sounds as if its not as bad as what you've had.

I thought you played both pieces very well - nice even tempo throughout, all the right notes and you have mastered the stretches and slides in the Ghibrizzo very well.

Agree with Andrei on the base notes though - most of them have a duration of one crotchet apart from odd places like bars 10,11,12 where it is one quaver although it's difficult to get the timing exact.

Also I like the way you keep things nice and slow and accurate - so well done!
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:19 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:This is my attempt at improvising on the saltern - thought I'd try it with a bit of tremelo.
Dave, that's an interesting interpretation :) But you seem to play D major instead of D minor....
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:43 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:This is my attempt at improvising on the saltern - thought I'd try it with a bit of tremelo.
Dave, that's an interesting interpretation :) But you seem to play D major instead of D minor....
Thanks Andrie, but hey, what's a semitone between friends. I think however you will find the Saltern has an F sharp in the key signature making is a d major chord. The Folias on the other hand does in deed start off with a d minor and they are similar chord progressions. :wink:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:02 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Thanks Andrie, but hey, what's a semitone between friends. I think however you will find the Saltern has an F sharp in the key signature making is a d major chord. The Folias on the other hand does in deed start off with a d minor and they are similar chord progressions. :wink:
Ah, my bad Dave, sorry! I thought it was Folias, not Saltern.
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi all, here are my submissions for this month. Not quite as polished as I would like, but then time marches on and its time to start on lesson 8. I would need to change my name to Norman to get it any better.

Youtube

Youtube

Because time WAITS for Norman
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:Hi all, here are my submissions for this month. Not quite as polished as I would like, but then time marches on and its time to start on lesson 8. I would need to change my name to Norman to get it any better.
I like your improvisation!
Ghiribizzo sounds great as well, but I noticed that you don't alternate RH fingers on the E string (measures 8-11).
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:I noticed that you don't alternate RH fingers on the E string (measures 8-11).
Interesting, I have problems with this as well. I've tried a number of options.
If I start the new section on m (A) when I start bar 10 I find it very awkward with i on A and p on B.
How do you finger it?

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:14 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:I noticed that you don't alternate RH fingers on the E string (measures 8-11).
Interesting, I have problems with this as well. I've tried a number of options.
If I start the new section on m (A) when I start bar 10 I find it very awkward with i on A and p on B.
How do you finger it?
Yeah, that sounds like the right fingering (p on B).
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:04 am

Thank you guys for the comments. I assumed that the bass lines last for the whole measure and didn't damp them until the next bass note!

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:51 am

page 57 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°23

Youtube
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:55 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:Hi all, here are my submissions for this month. Not quite as polished as I would like, but then time marches on and its time to start on lesson 8. I would need to change my name to Norman to get it any better.
I like your improvisation!
Ghiribizzo sounds great as well, but I noticed that you don't alternate RH fingers on the E string (measures 8-11).
Thank you for your comments Andrei. You are quite right of course - no excuse really, but I was concentrating so hard on playing the right notes that I didn't think too much about what my right hand was doing.

As we move on to more difficult and faster pieces, getting the correct right hand fingering correct becomes more and more important in order to keep the music fluid, so you raise a very valid point.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:16 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:page 57 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°23
Very nicely played Andrei. Nice even tempo throughout, note perfect and good alternating fingers in the right hand. I also noticed excellent economy of movement in both the right and left hand.

In bar 30 the slide from E to D, I notice that you only pluck the string once and then slide down. Initially I played it the same way, then had a look at what Jean Francois was doing and saw that he was plucking at both the beginning and the end of the slide. Perhaps this is one of those situations where there is no right or wrong answer.

Once again very well done - I hope to be able to learn something from your playing. :)
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Andrei - beautifully played. I watched it a second time with my eyes closed and just enjoyed the music. The next couple of time I focused on each of your hands. Your hand positions/movements are my long term goal.

Ed Butler

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”