D05 Classical guitar lesson 07

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:32 pm

:bravo:
Very nicely played Lagrima, Stewart. I loved the sweet vibrato at the apex of the B section.

Tha Sagreras etude is a tough little piece, isn't it? I'm about the same place you are on it.

I also love the other pieces in this lesson: Gallarda, Pavana, and the Coste etude. Trying to learn all three and I'll share some video eventually. The ligado study, like the Sagreras, is challenging but a great study.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate
Angela,
your Lagrima is good, all notes are there; good rhythm, maybe a bit "strong", i.e. you could put more musicality - easy to say :D
The Sagregas is well advanced, I'm trying to enforce the first beat and keep it regular. Also not sure if this is from where the camera is filming, but your wrist has a strange position in the legato, making it difficult for the 3 - 4

Very good given the short time you worked the pieces; well done
D05 - French Forum

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Stewart Doyle wrote: I think the Sagreras exposes some real issues with my technique and versatility of playing. I find the pull-offs in 21 and 23 quite a challenge, the 3rd finger tends to interfere with the pull-off. Needless to say it needs to be twice as fast!
Hi Stewart,

I like your Lagrima, you did work it and can focus on the music, :bravo:

the Sagregas is indeed a challenge, I still see your thumb appearing, which forces your to make larger movements with your arm. this piece requires stability and the strength comes from from the fingers, keep on working, slow, as usual
D05 - French Forum

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:29 pm

Dear recent classmates, this is my version of the Sagregas, indeed challenging not as the Barrios which I find even more difficult

Youtube

Thanks for listening :merci:
D05 - French Forum

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Here I am again, for Lagrima, which have never played before as Stewart or Rick, never approached Tarrega that close

Youtube

I heard also the issue as the end, and need to be a bit more inspired

Thank you
D05 - French Forum

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Very nicely played and interpreted. I have a question on the A section. You seem to be playing the melody line with i. Most use rest stroke on [corrected] m to emphasize the melody. It is not a problem as you seem to execute it very well. But non conventional. Is the video fooling me?
Last edited by Rick Beauregard on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:21 pm

vincent martin wrote:Dear recent classmates, this is my version of the Sagregas, indeed challenging not as the Barrios which I find even more difficult

Youtube

Thanks for listening :merci:
Very well executed, Vincent, My only picky comment is you seem to rush the rhythm in the last measures of the A section. Now that you can play all the dots at the correct rhythm and tempo, a little more phrasing and interpretation would be good and perhaps use some of those slides for effect to make it your's.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:I have a question on the A section.
Hi Rick; the video and you are correct, I spend quite some time about fingering position on the left hand, redo mine, but if the right sounds good, I even don't think about the right one, but should. Well spotted!
D05 - French Forum

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:49 pm

vincent martin wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:I have a question on the A section.
Hi Rick; the video and you are correct, I spend quite some time about fingering position on the left hand, redo mine, but if the right sounds good, I even don't think about the right one, but should. Well spotted!
I do the same sometimes, whatever comes naturally. But it pays to give the right hand some attention to prevent bad habits, to make sure you are alternating fingers, and making your string crossings easier, ensuring legato and not choppy, etc.. Sometimes the better way may not come naturally. I find it useful to go through the right hand fingering and write in the fingers in difficult passages. Some attention to this makes it easier to play.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:10 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:Sometimes the better way may not come naturally
Of course, we know this, like work slow, I'll apply this for the next 08 session. By the way, I play the melody with m not i, but this was totally unconscious. Thanks for reminding this :)
D05 - French Forum

Esteban Crespi

Post by Esteban Crespi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Hello to all,
I have just heard your pieces.

Angela, both your pieces are very well played. But I think Lagrima needs a little more musicality, it is a sad, nostalgic piece and It would greatly benefit if you played it more smoothly. In Sagreras I hear some rhythmic issues, I think you are making silence at the end of compas 2, 4, 6, .... almost a quarter long which is not there.

Stewart, I like very much your Lágrima it sound very beautiful. Good luck with Sagreras, I'm struggling with it now and I find it very difficult.

Vincent, I really like how you play both pieces. They sound great!

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:10 am

Hello to all

Thanks everyone give me comments, I know the musicality is important,but somehow it always difficult to do it.
If anyone have good method or practice way, please share with me, thank you very much!

From your video, I find everyone have good musicality, no matter quick or slow, your have good musical expression,

Stewart your Lágrima is very good, :bravo: ,Sagreras just need more prctice, you can make it.

Vincent, both two songs are very good and fluent! :bravo: and you have good hand position,that I need to improve.

:merci:

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

I find myself going through various stages with these lessons. At the beginning I am excited to work on new pieces, and anxiously figure out the fingering and phrasing. Then I go through a middle phase where I get bogged down trying to commit the notes to memory or at least muscle memory, so I can play them freely. I try to focus now on process to help me get through this phase: slow repetition or short segments, 5 times in a row without error, then faster tempo, get it right 5X in a row... I might start with the last measure and work backwards to help with memory and recovery. Then I reach a phase where I am just bored with the piece, unless it is one of those that I love. I get it to about 90% for performance. But that last 10% is my biggest challenge. By now I am completely bored, progress halts, and I record what I can. That's where I am with this little study by Sagreras. I need to move on.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 pm

Thank you everyone for the comments on my recordings.
Well played Vincent, I was going to make the same comments as Rick regarding the Sagreras, namely perhaps slow down a little at the end of section A, for effect mainly, but it helps that it makes it easier too! I think, like Rick hinted, your slides could slide more rather than jump. Your Lagrima was very well played too.
Rick, I know just how you feel. In the past I've sometimes suggested it would be great if we could just submit small sections of pieces to demonstrate the technique is mastered. From that point of view, your Sagreras, particularly the first section, shows that you can master ligados. Generally when I've repeated the lessons at the same level (third time at D05), the pieces I wasn't keen on the first time, became even more of a problem the second and third time. One exception was Manuelito, which with a bit more effort, I grew to appreciate.
Angela - regarding musicality, other than listening to lots of different versions of a song, and perhaps even playing along, the only other advice I can suggest is to keep recording yourself and listen to see how it compares to others? Just playing the melody line or even singing it might also help?
I've been away for a few days so I'll have to get back to the Sagreras and see if I can match the excellent versions above!
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Esteban Crespi

Post by Esteban Crespi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi Rick, your Sagreras is very reasonable, I think you can move on without any remorse ..., you have explained perfectly what I thinck happens to most of us with some pieces: even though Sagreras 6 is a nice piece it is not nice enough to pay for it's difficulty and the work needed to master it.

I have devoted most of my working time to Lágrima, here is the current version, with some errors but I'm happy enough. With this piece I'm still far from being bored!

Youtube

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”