D02 Classical guitar lesson 08

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jonathan Lamb
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:26 pm

:!: Yes I accept all of this card-strutting bonanza; the more, the merrier so far as I can tell.
But I still don't completely agree with you. But good for you having the 'guns' to go!
The simple reason is this: With the human voice, and with most instruments that play traditionally in some kind of ensemble, except keyboards and some others, the instrument (including the human voice) is restricted to but one voice per instrument. Even stringed instruments in an orchestra are only occasionally required to 'double-stop' or exceptionally, 'triple-stop'.
The guitar, by contrast, (aka 'the poor man's orchestra') can sound several voices simultaneously. (Up to six in a rasguedo, or five for a plucked chord using all fingers). The transition from D01 to D02 is marked especially, by playing two voices instead of the single voice we learnt in "Good Morning", "Scarborough Fair" and the Mexican hat dance, for example. This transition is accomplished by introducing us first to some arpeggio pieces, as well as diadic and triadic chords.
In the Purcell, there is something quite musically complex going on (from an analytic point of view) where at times the second and third voice speaks and at other times it is at rest. In the particular bar you find so troubling there are according to my understanding, 3 voices. From the bottom up they are: The ground, viz. the low 'doh' or C; the middle voice, a 'Sol' or G that plays one beat after the 'Doh' and speaks for 2 beats only, but sounds simultaneously with the 'doh'; and finally the little melody an octave above our ground. (For clarity, I suppose, the rests are not all notated.)
This all happens, as previously noted, because the special nature of classical guitar is to sound a variable and varying number of voices.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Jonathan is entirely correct. It is very common to mis-understand this kind of thing. I find the trick is to insist on clarifying whichever voice is obvious - in this case the top voice. There clearly are only 3 beats in the bar, because there is no horizontal room for more. We then have to understand the apparent appearance of excess beats per bar and the key here is to notice the rest between the two first beat notes. This rest introduces, in this bar, a middle voice (the 3rd string G) that comes and goes in other bars without being spelled separately out as such. This is pretty much normal practice in classical guitar, it being a practical approach to what otherwise would lead to a great deal of unnecessary clutter and redundant indications.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Well then... I am happy to stand corrected! It just wasn't making sense to me. Now with your and Stephen Kenyon's explanation I feel I understand it much better. Thanks for your patience, Jonathan, and your explanation Stephen.

Sal

PS Lucy(my wife) got some 'splainin to do.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:52 pm

The final exam piece has finally been posted. http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/v ... 26&t=24737

Here is the melody if you want to know what it sounds like. Yes it's a children's song. This is the only site I could find that had the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUf7L9pvZI

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:The final exam piece has finally been posted. http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/v ... 26&t=24737
Glad you found it, I have just logged on to see it.

Best of luck everyone

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 am

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:The final exam piece has finally been posted. http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/v ... 26&t=24737

Here is the melody if you want to know what it sounds like. Yes it's a children's song. This is the only site I could find that had the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUf7L9pvZI
Thanks Sal.

Good luck everyone!

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:00 pm

My submissions;KRIEGER MENUET
LA TARENTELA

Youtube

Youtube

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:37 am

Here is my Menuet. It is rough, but I figured I better get it up here. I also spent most of the month practicing Poco Allegretto when I should have been concentrating on La Tarentela. I will post the rest of my videos soon.
Youtube

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:15 pm

lol , you look like me!

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:20 pm

:oops: Oops! I saw my video in your posting.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Jenni, Your rendition sounds a lot like mine. There are a few rough spots but otherwise very good job!

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Here is my La Tarentela. I have never learned to properly strum a guitar. :/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Tue May 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Sounds like your strumming the correct cords.I think speed will come with practice.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Thu May 04, 2017 2:06 am

Here is my 20 Second improvisation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Fri May 12, 2017 7:57 am

Re:- End of year exam Dear classmates, Are you REGISTERED for the D02 exam? Please be aware that we are required to explicitly request participation in the exam next week, in order to be good to go. Thanks and good luck everybody. :)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”