D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 am

Andrei,

Thank you for the comment. I have always had problems with playing the treble and bass notes synchronously using free stroke. About the playing wrong notes, I didn't see the natural sign and played F-sharp instead of F! I may have to redo this piece.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 am

Andrei,

I think in your Valse piece, you skipped the damping in the section started at measure 18. Other than that, a very nice rendering of the Valse.

Dave,
I'm amazed you could play at that speed and didn't make mistake. Even if I spend another month on the piece, I don't think I can play that fast. In my opinion, some parts felt a little bit rushed and as a result the notes didn't sound very full. Maybe less speed and more attention to tone production like in your optional piece.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:43 am

Chu Bun wrote:Andrei,

I think in your Valse piece, you skipped the damping in the section started at measure 18. Other than that, a very nice rendering of the Valse.
Ah, true, thanks for pointing out. Indeed, I completely ignored these :oops: Was too concentrated on free + rest strokes...
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:03 am

My second attempt at the Valse piece. No sight-reading this time, so I could pay attention to other aspects. Still have problems with synchronous, but I think it gets better (or not!)

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My second attempt at the Valse piece. No sight-reading this time, so I could pay attention to other aspects. Still have problems with synchronous, but I think it gets better (or not!)

Youtube
Chu, this one is mistake-free, all notes are right, all fingering looks correct :) And I think synchronous strokes are better indeed!
Thank you for improving constantly and not stopping at "good enough". That makes the difference.
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Chu Bun wrote: By the way, Andrei and Dave, you guys really raise up the bar. Don't think the rest of us can keep up with you guys.
Ha, I think with your redo of the Valse you are in top 3.
Don't know how you guys learn so quickly. Been away for last week so I need to catch up.

well done everyone

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Chu - I agree with Colin. I really enjoyed listening (and watching) you play the Valse.

Ed Butler

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 am

Colin and Ed,

Thank you for you kind comments. I listened to Andrei's suggestion and committed to memory the piece instead of sight-reading, and it made a big difference. I thought it took less time to sightread than to memorize and that's how I approach the lessons for the last few years. But it seems as the lessons get more difficult, memorizing may be a better approach.
Last edited by Chu Bun on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:Here is my take on the EJERCICIO N°9, a few stutters and stumbles here and there and some extra notes in bars 25 and 29 - still a work in progress.
Hey Dave, that sounds so damn good! I really like the way you changed fingering at 0:40 - 0:50, brings so much more sweetness!
Also, great dynamics, tempo changes and tone colors. I guess you really like the piece ;)
What recording equipment do you use? The sound is so great, balanced and noise free.

Listened one more time. That's really great!
Thanks Andrie, I still think it needs some work though. Got the idea of altering the fingerings from listening to your excellent performance of the villa lobos prelude.

I use a zoom H1 (around £80) )for the sound and then sync up with the video using windows movie maker.

Thank you for your kind comments. It's really great to see so much activity on this part of the forum.

:D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My second attempt at the Valse piece. No sight-reading this time, so I could pay attention to other aspects. Still have problems with synchronous, but I think it gets better (or not!)

]
Very good Chu - don't put yourself down, you play really well. You have all the right notes now and the string dampings as well. Love the fact that you identified some problems in the piece and then re submittied ....... much better than submit and forget. - I think Andrei made a similar point.

Thanks for your comments on my submission of this piece, I have now slowed it right down so that I can work on making the melody stand out a bit more with the rest strokes and also work on dynamics.

So, well done and keep up the good work.

:bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Chu Bun wrote:Colin and Ed,
I listened to Andrei's suggestion and committed to memory the piece instead of sight-reading, and it made a big difference. I thought it took less time to sightread than to memorize and that's how I approach the lessons for the last few years. But it seems as the lessons get more difficult, memorizing may be a better approach.
I have taken the same path because I wanted to improve my sight reading, but I think Andrei is right, to get the precision and speed needs memorisation.

Thanks all for the useful advise on practicing

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:36 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:Here is my take on the EJERCICIO N°9, a few stutters and stumbles here and there and some extra notes in bars 25 and 29 - still a work in progress.
Hey Dave, that sounds so damn good! I really like the way you changed fingering at 0:40 - 0:50, brings so much more sweetness!
Also, great dynamics, tempo changes and tone colors. I guess you really like the piece ;)
What recording equipment do you use? The sound is so great, balanced and noise free.

Listened one more time. That's really great!
Thanks Andrie, I still think it needs some work though. Got the idea of altering the fingerings from listening to your excellent performance of the villa lobos prelude.

I use a zoom H1 (around £80) )for the sound and then sync up with the video using windows movie maker.

Thank you for your kind comments. It's really great to see so much activity on this part of the forum.

:D
Oh, you watched this! Thank you! I found fingering which minimizes squeaking noise, but still there is plenty (which can be avoided with enough diligence)...

I just ordered Zoom H2N, it looks like Zoom mics are very good for recording classical guitars. Thanks for the recommendation!
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Chu Bun wrote:Colin and Ed,
I listened to Andrei's suggestion and committed to memory the piece instead of sight-reading, and it made a big difference. I thought it took less time to sightread than to memorize and that's how I approach the lessons for the last few years. But it seems as the lessons get more difficult, memorizing may be a better approach.
I have taken the same path because I wanted to improve my sight reading, but I think Andrei is right, to get the precision and speed needs memorisation.

Thanks all for the useful advise on practicing
Totally agree - I have always found sight reading difficult, unless the piece is really simple. The problem is that you need to read two or three notes ahead so that you can work out both your right hand and left hand fingering in advance. All this in addition to concentrating on tone production, dynamics, volume, speed and which parts of the music you want to stand out...... there really is too much going on to do it all on the fly.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Chu, Andrie - thank you for your advice on the valse guys. I have now slowed it down quite a lot, althought maybe not quite enough.

I think the tone is a little better now, but not sure if the rest strokes stand out quite enough. Practicing rest stroke with other pieces as well now.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:57 am

Dave,

The piece may be played faster than the designate speed, but it didn't sound rushed. Good flow and dynamic. All notes are loud and clear.
Another piece that this technique can be applied is Tarrega's Lagrima (search for "Lagrima Explained - Part 1" on Youtube. There are quite a few good tips in that video clip).

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”