D05 Classical guitar lesson 08

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:26 am

Very well done Stewart. Your Prelude was beautifully played in the first part before you started having problems. It's such a long and rambling piece, I also have issues playing it through without mental lapses.

The angle of your video made it impossible to see your right hand to see if you are alternating fingering on the Tarrega estudio.

I think your tremolo is coming along nicely. I am having trouble with it as well. Also trying to learn Amando.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks Rick, I've been doing some reading and thinking about my tremolo and so far have come up with...

1) It would help if I used another camera angle so I can see what my RH fingers are doing (for tremolo and other pieces)
2) There are lots of posts on the forum related to tremolo and the frustrations on achieving a smooth, fast tremolo. So far these have led to some interesting external pages/resources by Tom Poore, Douglas Niedt, Philip Hii etc.
3) The little work I have done in the past (an infrequently undertaken exercise from Pumping Nylon) has been focussed around control and planting. This might be very useful at some stage of development or for some people, but I think Tom Poore is on to something when he suggests at http://www.pooretom.com/learningtremolo1.html to 'start with speed and gradually add control'
4) I should also not get hung up on aiming for pami; instead seeing what works for me
5) The 'thumb swatting' that Douglas Niedt describes struck a chord too, as did the advice about working on the second string for tremolo to help minimise the RH finger movement
6) It will take time.... :lol:
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Good stuff. I also like the tremolo lesson from Gohar. https://youtu.be/nsAs-rsKaZg
She also has a short book of exercises.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:30 am

Here are my final takes on this month's lessons. Thanks for listening, and good luck with the final exam! :merci:

Youtube

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:Here are my final takes on this month's lessons. Thanks for listening, and good luck with the final exam! :merci:

Youtube

Youtube
Very nicely played Rick, I enjoyed listening to you. It's nice to see people make an early attempt on a piece then play it a couple of weeks later and see the improvement they have made.

You certainly have your work cut out on D05. Must be quite a challenge to play a piece as long as the Bach and not miss a note anywhere!

:bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:24 pm

:merci: Dave but if you listen closer you'll hear lots of missed notes. :?

I have really loved this year's pieces. And there were many that I had learned in a previous life so it was great to relearn them again. These two included. I learned the Estudio as an estudiante in 1981. The prelude I started back last summer I think.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:40 am

Rick Beauregard wrote::merci: Dave but if you listen closer you'll hear lots of missed notes. :?

I have really loved this year's pieces. And there were many that I had learned in a previous life so it was great to relearn them again. These two included. I learned the Estudio as an estudiante in 1981. The prelude I started back last summer I think.
Sorry Rick, what I actually meant was - it must be hard to play a piece like that all the way through without errors, so you can be forgiven for making a few.

Totally agree with you about the D05 pieces, I have been following them from afar as it were and loved to listen to them - I may have an attempt at some over the summer. It's just a shame there are not more people on the D05 course.

I noticed that you seem to be looking at the music some of the time, but other times you are looking at the fret board. Is it the case that you have memorised parts of the Bach but not others?

Anyway, it's a pleasure to meet another recycled guitarist - I used to play as a youngster back in the 70s.

Good luck and keep up the good work. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:31 am

Hi Rick
you play it very well.
Estudio
you play it very familar, the bass note are very clear and clean.
I like the tone you play, it's really good.

Bwv 1007
I like to listen it like this :casque: .
you can really enjoy it, some of the notes are very power, thank you give us your interpretation.

with the coming exam,Good luck to you and best wishes!

:bye:

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:11 pm

:merci: Angela and DaveMoutrie. Yes Dave there are a few spots that at not completely memorized. In others I am looking to hit the right frets. Have you seen Raphelly Smits' Chaconne? She never opens her eyes! Spellbinding.
https://youtu.be/Jcy7E4uHYK8

I was actually worried when I finished D04 that I'd be alone for D05 this year, so I signed up on the Spanish forum as well. But there's Angela and a couple other regular students, so it hasn't been bad at all.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Mon May 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Stewart Doyle wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:31 pm
Hi everyone

Here are my recordings,
hi Stewart

well done!
the start of the Bach is great, sound and tempo, this is such a nice and difficult piece
I see the usual left thump popping up too much in the Tarrega, particularly in the high parts, this is definitely an area that you have to watch
finally the tremolo; good at 66, it seems that you loose the bass at 72, but this is the reference, a good bass and light fingers, which should almost not move, like what we could see from Angela

D05 - French Forum

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:30 am
Here are my final takes on this month's lessons. Thanks for listening, and good luck with the final exam! :merci:
hi Rick

nice work again for this /08
the Tarrega is well mastered, just F# on M3 (and similar others) does not last long enough
And I like the sound of the Bach; the first part is under control and the music is there, a bit more work for the end. Who did say we should start to learn the pieces from the end?

Good luck for the exam too
D05 - French Forum

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat May 20, 2017 4:53 am

Hi Students,

To break the monotony of practicing Sons De Carillhoes time after time in preparation for the final exam, I worked at learning Amando Sobre O Mar. It is a beautiful piece which I love to play, though it has challenged me as much as any we've had this year. Here is a take, not completed and way too slow I think. But thanks for listening. Its a long one.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Sat May 20, 2017 10:40 am

Hi Rick a very nice piece; as usual, you have a good sound; the bass and melody sound very clear. The tempo is not regular, you accelerate when it is easier (e.g. second part) and slow down on the difficult measures. You should continue to work slow and focus on tempo/difficult zones.
This motivates me to work it again!
D05 - French Forum

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sun May 21, 2017 12:49 am

Hi Rick
Thank you give us your Amando Sobre O Mar,it's very beautiful,
I like your tone and tempo, :bravo:
and I find if you play with an easy mood, you always play it very good with little error.
so just play with your heart. :merci:

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun May 21, 2017 1:23 am

Many :merci:'s Vincent and Angela. I have much more work to do on this. Maybe now after the exam is done.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”