D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun May 21, 2017 10:24 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 12:30 pm
Sounds really great mate!

I think you have the levels spot on and the sound is nicely synched up with the video.

Now that you have some decent recording equipment, we can all hear how beautifully you play. You seem to favour a John Williams techniue with the right hand at right angles to the strings, whereas I tend to go for a bit more of and angle - more of a Julian Bream technique.

I enjoyed listening to you and look forward to hearing you play the other pieces. I think the vibrato worked well also.

:D
Thank you, Dave, for such a nice comment! Actually, I think attacking strings at an angle generally produces warmer tone and has more potential. When I just started learning CG the tutorial pointed that the right angle is the only right way :) I think it makes sense for beginners (to establish good hand positions). Also, watch Dmitri Nilov right hand tutorial videos. I'm surprised how he manages to produce good tone with right angle and keeping the hand close to the bridge. I have to keep the hand over the sound hole, otherwise it sounds weird.
BTW, I just replaced the 1st Savarez string with a d'Addario high tension string, now it does not sound that harsh :) But also has less sustain :( Will post Samba Lele in a couple days.

By the way, Nesta Rua style is strikingly similar to a Russian romance. I would never say it is Brazilian :)
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu May 25, 2017 6:07 am

- page 81 ANONYME (ca. 1850) SAMBA LELE

Youtube

The bass line is not good. I have troubles with simultaneous thumb and 1st or 2nd string stokes: the bass is always weak (but you can still see the string vibrating)...
Also, changed fingering a bit for better movement economy.
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 6:07 am

Youtube

The bass line is not good. I have troubles with simultaneous thumb and 1st or 2nd string stokes: the bass is always weak (but you can still see the string vibrating)...
Also, changed fingering a bit for better movement economy.
Very nice Andrei - wish I could get my left hand as good as yours. Even the tricky bit at the end where the first and second fingers have to dance about a bit looks spot on - you make it look so easy. I had to watch it over and over.

Thought at first you were missing the dampings but then realised it was because the bass was so quiet - do you think it is down to the high tension strings you are using? Have you tried using rest stroke in the bass?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri May 26, 2017 10:45 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am
Very nice Andrei - wish I could get my left hand as good as yours. Even the tricky bit at the end where the first and second fingers have to dance about a bit looks spot on - you make it look so easy. I had to watch it over and over.

Thought at first you were missing the dampings but then realised it was because the bass was so quiet - do you think it is down to the high tension strings you are using? Have you tried using rest stroke in the bass?
Thank you, Dave!
Using finger 3 instead of 1 in some places was tricky at first, but then became very natural and easy. I also strived NOT to touch the D string when doing C# on the A string with pinky (end of measure 1 and 3).

I actually missed some dampings and some notes (found out later). The bass was quiet partially because of loud trebles, and the recorder seems to capture high frequencies better. Also, the recorder was too close this time I guess, need more experiments.

High tension strings produce brighter and louder tone, have greater sustain and are more stable under varying pressure (but vibrato might be more difficult though), so the strings are OK.
Need to work on technique (like rest stroke in the bass) :)
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed May 31, 2017 5:25 am

- page 20 Emmanuel ADRIAENSSEN (1554-1604) BRANLE ANGLAIS

Youtube

Sorry, no capo.
I changed fingering a bit so that it can be played easier. Not sure why the score provided much more difficult fingering. I mean the transition between measure 1 and 2 where it is necessary to swap fingers 2,3 to 1,2. Why not notes 5 and 6 in measure 1 with fingers 1 and 2? It is much easier. Or it was done on purpose to exercise shifts?
Some pull offs were done with considerable effort...
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed May 31, 2017 10:14 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 5:25 am

I changed fingering a bit so that it can be played easier.
Excellent, I am looking forward to the Branle based on your playing.
I'll have a look at the fingerings you suggest.

I really enjoyed your exam submission, both clear and musical, an excellent performance. Something for me to aspire to :D

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed May 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 10:14 am
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:

I changed fingering a bit so that it can be played easier.
Excellent, I am looking forward to the Branle based on your playing.
I'll have a look at the fingerings you suggest.

I really enjoyed your exam submission, both clear and musical, an excellent performance. Something for me to aspire to :D
Thank you, Colin. That's a very very encouraging feedback!
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:42 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:

Youtube

Sorry, no capo.
I changed fingering a bit so that it can be played easier. Not sure why the score provided much more difficult fingering. I mean the transition between measure 1 and 2 where it is necessary to swap fingers 2,3 to 1,2. Why not notes 5 and 6 in measure 1 with fingers 1 and 2? It is much easier. Or it was done on purpose to exercise shifts?
Some pull offs were done with considerable effort...
Very nicely played Andrie, I agree with you on the fingerings - in fact I think I used the same fingerings as you.
I can see the logic in the original fingering though: the original fingering minimises the distance the left hand has to move up the fretboard and as this is a fairly fast piece setting the metronome at 192, this may be significant.
Also, when the capo is on the 5th fret, the frets are closer together so it is less of a stretch - although I still find the alternative fingering easier.

If you don't have a capo by the way, a biro and a couple of elastic bands works pretty well. If you can't get enough pressure, just use more elastic bands.

I like your slow and relaxed style of playing by the way, as I tend to rush things when the camera is on. Just a couple of errors: Bar 4 where the A should be played twice at the end of the bar and again in bar 16. In bars 8 and 12 we have a minim at the end of the bar which lasts 2 beats and again at the very end at bar 17 - I could wrong here though as I'm not very good at counting time.
Last edited by DaveMoutrie on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:44 am

Exam results are in.
Congratulations team on your efforts.
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/v ... 73#p193323

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Congratulations - Colin, Andrei, Chu, David, Teodora, Bert, Warley

I enjoyed spending the past 9 months with you.

Ed Butler

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Ed Butler
Yes, very enjoyable, glad you could be with us.
You've made good progress and it could be worth going over D01 and D02. Most of us started there and I havent regretted it, it's very useful to go over these lessons and they make a big improvement to sight reading and rhythm.
Hope to see you next year.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:52 pm
Ed Butler wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Ed Butler
Yes, very enjoyable, glad you could be with us.
You've made good progress and it could be worth going over D01 and D02. Most of us started there and I havent regretted it, it's very useful to go over these lessons and they make a big improvement to sight reading and rhythm.
Hope to see you next year.
Totally agree, I have enjoyed spending time with you on the course Ed, as I have with evryone who has participated in D03.You have made good progress on D03 Ed, but its always good to go back to basics and see if you have missed anything on D01 and D02 -think I may do the same. I guess we all have a different guitar playing history, and some of us have benefitted from a previous guitar playing life. Look forward to hearing you play next year - although we still have D10 to go and I hope to be posting stuff on Delcamp over the break,.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:25 am

Don't know if anyone else has had proplems - but I've been struggling to get a totally clean recording of the Samba.

I recorded this last week while on holliday in darkest Yorkshire.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Colin, Dave -

With your comments I plan to use the summer to go through D01 and possibly D02. Would you recommend that I start at D02 in September or retake D03?

Ed

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:00 pm
Colin, Dave -

With your comments I plan to use the summer to go through D01 and possibly D02. Would you recommend that I start at D02 in September or retake D03?

Ed
You should get through D01 over summer, then worth doing D02 sept onwards. In D01 play as many of the pieces as you can, I think it will help develop a fluency with the timings so you aren't needing to count, trying to do 2 things at once is probably slowing you down. I'm going to review D02 over the summer and the D03 exercises.
Some of us will be around if you need to post for comments.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”