D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
page 123 Delcamp, Jean-François Mordants et Trilles, numéros 38 et 39

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 5 pieces.
- page 18, 19 Adrian Le Roy Premier branle de Bourgongne
Each phrase is followed by its division. The first phrase and its division each consist of 4 bars. After that, the structure of phrases and their divisions is of 6 bars, to the end of the piece.

Youtube

- pages 80, 81 Losy, Jan Antonín – Ciacona sobre las Folias
Page 80 - I have adapted for the guitar the original tablature of this chaconne for mandore. Page 81 - I suggest an ornamentation the elements of which came from a recording made last month with a baroque guitar.

Youtube

Melodic ornaments are the addition of neighbouring notes, before or after the original notes. These additions are formed at an interval of a major or minor second (depending on the key of the piece) above or below the original note. Note that these same neighbouring notes are used in mordents, turns, appoggiaturas, acciaccaturas and trills. Neighbouring or conjunct notes are the basis of ornamentation, to be fitted in between the original notes while taking great care not to distort the tempo. As there are limits to the maximum playing speed that we can achieve, we would put more ornamentation in a slow passage than in a fast one. For the same reason we would ornament long notes more than short ones in the same piece.
As far as rhythm is concerned, the crucial thing is to maintain the tempo and accentuation throughout. When we first start to improvise ornaments, we often tend to distort the tempo unintentionally. But don't worry, if you persist and, above all, if you improvise an ornamentation while counting the beat out loud (1 and 2 and 3 and), you will be pleasantly surprised to find you make fewer and fewer mistakes. There are also metronomes which you can set so that one in every 3 beats or in every 4 beats has a distinctive sound, as a marker of the first beat of the bar in 3 or 4 time.
At the start of the chaconne, the first two 8-bar phrases are made up principally of chords, and lend themselves well to strumming. I also introduce a few percussive effects, to add zest to the rhythm. This sort of rhythmic improvisation can be a very pleasant way to practise improvising while concentrating particularly on keeping to the beat.

Youtube

:idea: :casque: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=68922

- page 77 Paganini, Niccolò Ghiribizzo n°37
This piece has great simplicity, and the bass notes (tonic, subdominant and dominant) are unobtrusive. Paganini indicates: "Adagetto con espressione". It is through phrasing, articulation and accentuation that we can be expressive.

Youtube

- page 84,85 Johann Kaspar Mertz Valse en sol majeur,
here the rhythm is the main element, and it is by reproducing the accents and articulation indicated (legato, staccato) that the valse will become lively and light.

Youtube

- page 48 Štepán Rak - Nostalgický valcik
This waltz was generously made available, on FaceBook, by Štepán Rak, on March 8th 2012.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- pages 80, 81 Losy, Jan Antonín – Ciacona sobre las Folias
- page 48 Štepán Rak - Nostalgický valcik

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Colin Bullock, John Montes, Rich (oski79), Marko Räsänen and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Colin Bullock

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:48 am

Exam results are in,congratulations all.
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/v ... 74#p193324

Jesús Morote
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jesús Morote » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 pm

This lesson contains a song very interesting: the Ciacona on "Las Folías de España" by Losy.

The theme of Las Folías was well known and used in ancient classical music (XVI-XVIII). Perhaps the most popular song on Las Folías are the Variations of Arcangelo Corelli: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHRdFILo_Yw

In guitar literature it was very popular. Gaspar Sanz has his Folías in his Instrucción de Música. Perhaps the best-known song in the guitar is the Variations on Les Follies of Fernando Sor. And this popularity has come to our times: Manuel Ponce has also composed his Variations on Follies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EbE_JYZ7xE

Les Follies have also come to the movies. Kubrik used Las Folías in the music of "Barry Lyndon": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKsIJyfB_Q

And above all (if less known) Las Folias of the French film "Tous les matins du monde", where the young Marin Marais, to be admitted as a student for Sainte Colombe, plays variations on "Las Folías" with a Viola da gamba (Jordi Savall is the musician): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZV4mxJuRhM

Here my little musical contribution to the long history of Las Folias.

Youtube
Last edited by Jesús Morote on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D04 Student (spanish, italian and english Forums)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Jesus
:bravo:

Thank you share the songs informations. They can help me to understand more!
:merci:

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi classmate

This is my assignments
Ciacona sobre las Folias

Youtube

Nostalgicky valcik

Youtube

welcome to comment! :merci:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:50 am

Hi Angela, good performance, as usual. But...

Ciacona: You don't sustain the bass in the chords of measures 4, 7, 12 and 15. You have to hold the G or the F all their duration.

Valcik: You can improve your performance paying more attention to the dynamics (f, mf, mp, ff, etc.) and the hairpins (< and >). Rak has carefully indicated those in his score.

:bye:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Here, the Nostalgic Waltz of Štepán Rak:

Youtube

I am studying the Ghiribizzo of Paganini. And also the Branle of Le Roy, but it is a little boring. I like very much the Waltz of Mertz, but it is hard.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:58 am

Hi Jesus
Thank your comments.
Yes I haven’t notice the half note of the bass in Ciacona, so I didn’t sustain it, and I also find in other songs I have the same problem, Thank you remind me.

On Valcik the dynamic is the song’s characteristic. I notice in your songs, on M10 the G,B can cresc, and on the M41 of second the D# can rit.

Thank you very much; I am very grateful to you for your advice.

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Angela,
You are right, I have not well done the crescendo in M10 and the ritardando in M41. My G in M9 is not enough piano: perhaps it is the cause I have not made a good crescendo to M10; I was already in mezzoforte in the beginning and I cannot increase more the volume!!! Too much things really!
We must practice more and more :chaud: :chaud:

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Finally I made anot so bad recording of the Ghiribizzo.

This song is very interesting. The title of the first part is "Rossini" and that of the second "Paganini". This undoubtedly indicates that the first part is an original composition by Rossini, on which Paganini made a small variation (the second part).

After a few walks for the Internet, you can find where the Rossini melody is: in Scene 5th of Act I of "La gazza ladra" (The Thieving Magpie). The overture of this work is well-known, but the rest, certainly not.

Here we have the air "Ma quel piacer che adesso..." ("But that pleasure that now"), where Gianetto, back from war to his country, finds his beloved Ninetta and shows them his love with this song. You can listen here:

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zRpA8z6gyc&t=2243s Minute 34:33

Or here:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtoulUn37fg&t=2269s Minute 36:08

It is noteworthy that Rossini's air time seems to be an Andante and Ghiribizzo means "Adagetto con espressione", i. e. much slower the guitar version.

My recording. I did not always play good the "grupetti" (or maybe never I did!). But these four and five-note grupetti are very difficult. Good exercise, of course.

I did not respect the damps indicated. I think Paganini has only designed it (as we do today by writing Am, DM, to indicate the harmony of the song) but did not want to indicate the duration of the bass rigorously. I did generally damps a little later than the punctuation of the score, to accompany the melodic line until the next phrase.

Youtube

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:09 am

Hi Jesus

You play it very well.
I also like the song, I think to play slur better, the press finger is more important than the play finger.espacially the 3rd and 4th finger of let hand.

Thank you accompany with us on D04 lesson.

This summer, I'll practice some technically, scales, some songs of D04 and D05,pre-learn some lessons of D06.

Wish you have a happy summer holiday!

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:07 pm

HI Angela,

You are right. So says also Sagreras: "In executing the descending ligados, the finger that should be pressing harder is not the one which is playing the ligado, but the one that is fretting the lower note and holding the string firmly to stop it moving when the other finger pulls off the first note to produce the ligado. In general, there is a tendency amongst all students to do the opposite when they first start to play descending ligados. The teacher should warn the student against that". (Exercise 14 from Segundas Lecciones).

But in a four or five notes slurs the same finger can be first the holder finger, and after the playing finger. In the Ghiribizzo, for instance, M2, the finger 2 is the pressing finger (slur 4-2), and straightaway the playing finger (slur 2-1). It is a not easy this play of press and let go; difficult for me!!

Good Summer, Angela.

Jesús Morote

Post by Jesús Morote » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:59 pm

The Burgundy Branle of Adrian The King:

Youtube

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”