D05 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D05 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D05.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we're going to work on a series of exercises:
- pages 152, 153 Francisco Tàrrega (1852-1909) Estudio en la mayor n°101, Estudio en mi mayor n°102.

Youtube

Youtube

Today we'll look at 4 pieces.
- page 26 Anonyme Se Io M'accorgo ben d'un altro amante
This piece is made up of 3 phrases of 4 bars each. The second and third phrases begin with an upbeat on the last eighth note (quaver) of the preceding bar. Each phrase is divided into two parts of two bars each. The first part of the phrase gathers momentum, suggesting a crescendo and possible accelerando. The second part of the phrase falls away, suggesting a diminuendo and allargando.

Youtube

- page 64 Dionisio Aguado (1784-1849) Egercicio 19
A very good arpeggio exercise. I recommend that you practise it with the fingers of the plucking hand placed on the strings, as I demonstrate in the following short video.

Youtube

The passage from bar 7 to bar 8 requires a little-taught technique. Many editors simplify the passage by making the F# which begins bar 8 an octave lower. The solution that I suggest involves using the second finger as a pivot finger. This holding on of the pivot finger is indicated in the score by a broken line linking the last A of bar 7 to the first A of bar 8.

- page 88 Julián Arcas (1832-1882) La Saltarina
This polka-mazurka is based on a phrase structure of 4 bars. Julián Arcas learned the guitar using Dionisio Aguado's method, and later became the teacher of Francisco Tarrega. Julián Arcas bridges the gap between the classical and modern periods. He would also go on to compose in the popular style of his country, the flamenco.

Youtube

- page 120 Jean-François Delcamp (1956) Prélude n°1 en ré mineur
An arpeggio study in D minor which requires a lot of rubato. Use accelerando to accompany the reduction of intervals within bars. Many bars begin with an interval of a tenth or a sixth, and end with a smaller interval, like a fourth, a third, or a second. You will be pleased to know that bars 14 and 15 serve as a short respite. I particularly like this interlude which fits nicely into the study without dissolving in it. To lead back into the repeat of the first 8 bars, I devised a little "springboard" in bars 27 to 29 from a ninth chord on the dominant (A 9th).

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 26 Anonyme Se Io M'accorgo ben d'un altro amante
- page 88 Julián Arcas (1832-1882) La Saltarina

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Colin Bullock, John Montes, Rich (oski79), Marko Räsänen and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi classmate

This is my assignments

Anonyme Se Io M'accorgo ben d'un altro amante

Youtube

Julián Arcas (1832-1882) La Saltarina

Youtube

welcome to comment! :merci:

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Hello dear classmates

Here's my contribution:

Anonyme - Se Io M'accorgo ben d'un altro amante

Youtube

and one option

Donisio Aguado - Egercicio 19

Youtube

As i still don't master la Saltarina, no good recording tonight

thanks for listening :casque:
D05 - French Forum

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi Angela

always first to post; actually, the only on time!

a few comments after listening to both pieces
anonyme
M4 the last chord is too short
M7 there is no silence before the last A, i.e. not like in M10, the chord needs to sound
I couldn't hear the bass E on M15
Overall quite speedy for the first post, which introduces some challenges in the more difficult areas

Arcas
better than my current level :)
on M3 the E D# E with figer 1 needs attention to sound like if you played with different fingers
M8 the bass E is too short
M13, 14 etc, play slower to have a regular 3/4
I know, it is easier to write than to play

Nothing that cannot be fixed, well done :bye:
D05 - French Forum

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:22 am

Hi Vincent
Thank your comments.
You must watch it carefully, so you can give more detail information, thank you very much!
Anonyme I must notice the damp, and for both songs I must modify the rhythm and keep the bass note duration.

After watch your two songs, you pay careful attention to detail,
and Donisio Aguado - Egercicio 19
You play it very fluently, I still need fix on M8.
Anonyme on M11,I heard the E,C too short, they are dotted quarter note. :)

:merci:

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Well done Vincent. I have a few observations on your reading for Se Io M'Accorgo. In the first section, pay careful attention to which string you are plucking. There are notes sounding that shouldn't be sounding in measure 2 and 3. Also in measure 4 the high E should be clear in the last two beats (this error was more evident in the repeat than the fist time around). In measure 14 the chord is incorrect. The base note is F and you are playing F#. That should make it easier for you! It is the climax of the piece I think. There are also a couple rhythm issues. In measure 11, you need to hold the third beat C and E for the dotted rhythm a little longer before playing the A. In measure 14 third beat, hold the B-A-E chord for the full beat.

I will pass on the interpretive advice my teacher gave me way back in the 80' on this piece, and as demonstrated by JFD: in section 1 the chords should be played as legato as possible, holding their full time value. This makes this piece a little bit more challenging to make these chord changes smoothly.

The Aguado is very good!

Congratulations on making it through the entire D05 course. Have a great summer. What are you doing for summer study?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi Angela,

Nice playing as always! Vincent gave you some nice detailed comments so I will keep mine more overview. On Se Io M'Accorgo, you seem to vary the tempo a lot in a random way and not in keeping with the interpretation of the music. Maybe this is due to your lack of confidence with the notes. I recommend that you practice it slowly with the metronome first to get your rhythm correct, then faster at tempo with the metronome. Then, after listening carefully to JFD and other performances, you can try to vary the rhythm in places to add your own interpretation.

La Saltarina is very nicely played! Again I would just listen to JFD's version to work out the small rhythm issues. Try playing along with him.

Congratulations on making it through D05! I was nice having you along for the journey. I hope to see you in September on D06 YIKES!!! :delcamp_ cool:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 am

I might have been be able to get these done without mistakes, but here they are, mistakes and all.

Youtube

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

vincent martin

Post by vincent martin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi Rick

Thank you so much for the comments; all point are valid, taken and I took the piece back from the done pile. This is really useful to have this feedback
I don't hide that this is not the first time I played the Aguado, actually this was on of the first piece I learnt when I took my first lessons in the 90s, after learning on my own

Your contributions are well done, and I like the sound of your guitar/recording

Se Io M'Accorgo
Just little things: the bass A on M2 is a bit soft compared to the rest, strange rhythm at the end M7 qnd M13, you deviate a bit from the Delcamp score (M6, M9) by adding notes

Saltarina
The tempo varies, e.g. slow down in M6, some measure starts with a hesitation (M20, M28, M31), but this is just normal and requires a few more focused practise

Congratulations as well for this great D05, I'm glad I have joined the team. For the summer, I will go back to the BWV 997 and other pieces I like to work even though never satisfied with the results. And will work on the Microestudios from Carlevaro, underrated, but so nice and really useful technically. Maybe scales and some harmony study, and of course some time off.
Any advice; ideas would be welcome

Meet you in Spanish if not before.
D05 - French Forum

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:59 am

Hi Rick
Thanks for your comments,it's very useful.
Thank you acompany with us for the whole D05, wish we can join the D06 together.
As it's in spanish forum, I don't know spanish, I really hope Engish speakers are also on that forum.

Wish you have a happy summer holiday!

:bye:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”