D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Binh NguyenKhac
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:25 am

Craig McCallum wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm
Ok, video time again. Got myself a new webcam and USB mic as I really wasn't happy with the sound when recording with my iPhone, and I wanted to get a better mic position anyway. I thought about just getting an iPhone mic, but figure recording on the PC will give me more flexibility going forward.

This weeks thoughts... my left hand position seems to be all over the place in these videos - it's better in part 3 when I know I'll be using all of my fingers, but I need to stop allowing myself to be lazy (I guess it wont be long until we'll need all 4 left hand fingers for all the pieces anyway, so it might become a bit academic at that point). I'm occasionally finding myself re-using my RH index fingers when I'm coming down the strings rather than always alternating as well, which I should work on stopping.

A couple of little hitches in the timing here and there - C major scale, I need to work on the diminuendo... I get louder fairly smoothly, but the quieting down happens fairly suddenly; Jig is more or less at tempo now, but could do with some smoothing out; La Tete Bizarde is still early progress, so sticking with a slow tempo and am about ready to start speeding it up.

EDIT - had to re-upload the Jig (problem at YouTube's end), and now realise that I'm missing the damping exercise... I'll get that recorded and uploaded this week when I can.

Nice work, Craig. No comment, all good so far :bravo:

Craig McCallum

Post by Craig McCallum » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Angela Carter wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 am
Here are my videos. I’m far more graceful in my head. LOL I know my left hand is flying a little and my tempo is disjointed. I am really having a hard time with La Tete Bizarde but I’ll get there.
Angela, your scale and the damping exercise are really good - scale nice and smooth, and the damping exercise sounds spot on from here. Same with your Jig - really nice consistent rhythm all the way through, it's a good solid base to work on bringing the tempo up.

It looks like it's only the last phrase that's tripping you up on La Tete Bizard... it looks like it's a big stretch for you reaching the 3rd and 4th fret notes, but I can't really offer much advice on that, other than practice the one phrase in isolation and slowly.

The only other thing is notation wise - the end of the music is marked with a D.C. al Fine (del capo al fine), which means go back to the start of the music and play until the 'Fine' mark, which is at the end of bar 16. So when we get to the end of the music, we should go back to the start and play the first two phrases again to finish off the song.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:31 am

Hello everybody.

And welcome aboard to Yucel and I guess Binh although I've come to appreciate Binh's comments as he's been with us for some time and they are very much on target.

My comments to Yucel are that you, like myself, have a lively left hand. Angela, I think you are too hard on yourself as your approach is on target and the perfection resident in your mind will be realized with more practice. I see no faults that require correction outside of the video production that's already discussed. If only we could be good at that and play classical guitar too.

I'm looking forward to hearing from the rest of the group. If I can find the time to practice enough during this lesson period to improve upon my submissions I will do so. Binh, I realize you were in the previous group of D01 and we appreciate your input but will you be providing a lesson for review?

James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Yucel Kamcez

Post by Yucel Kamcez » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Dear friends,

Muting issue is going on to be a problem for me.
I'd like to share some exercises, again.
Slow and clear playing is not easy for old men. :)
Have a nice day!

Youtube

Youtube

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Wow Binh, good catch. Your right. I do tend to get stiff. I didn’t realize how much though. I will work on that.

Yucel, the videos are just for us to talk to each other and help each other improve our form. I don’t think you have to redo them but it is helpful when you are working on something. You have obviously worked on your muting. It will become more natural the more you practice it.

Thank you Craig. I forgot about the ending. Thank you for pointing that out.

Thank you James. Yes, I will have to figure out a better way to do next lessons videos. What purpose do they serve if no one can see what I’m doing...LOL

As a side note, it did not take long to get to 20 posts.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:29 am

James A. Showalter wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 pm
Craig,
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I will certainly take them to heart especially the part about slowing my play to strive for exactness. That coupled with Binh's suggestion to limit the motion of the left hand.

Now I am at a point where I have to explain. These past 5 years I've practiced guitar on my own and of course use the common posture where the right thigh holds the guitar. So classical posture is somewhat new to me. When I submitted my 1st lesson John Montes observed that I traveled a lot with my right hand and advised that I should practice keeping the right wrist as nearly stationary over the string position as possible. I was playing that 1st sequence that changed from the index finger playing an open G-note alternately with the thumb playing the D-string fretted at F#. Because my right wrist is fused (long story) I couldn't do it. In response I realized that if I altered the position to more of a Cello players position then my thumb was in-line with where my fingers played and I did not have to shift my hand so much to reach the notes. In short, I will never develop a classical posture or playing technique. But I certainly will try.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think it speaks volumes that the amount of instruction, derived from actual evaluation of individual effort, that is provided through this lesson series is of such quality. It certainly supports the old adage that the best things in life are free.
James
Hi James, the right hand related suggestion from L01 was related to thumb strokes in one of the pieces from that lesson. As you mentioned you may need to make an adjustment of the right-hand thumb in order to play thumb strokes in an alternative way to get the desired effect.

Having said that, coming back to the left-hand, it will be much easier to reach and fret notes with the left-hand and fingers if you are able to hold the guitar closer to the traditional classical guitar position. The way the guitar is being held and positioned in some of the L02 video submissions, it can actually make it harder to reach notes and transition the left hand accordingly.

Try reviewing these two videos that were shared in L01 regarding, 1) Sitting position, 2) Left-hand position -> previous post

You may want to try and find the right balance and sweet-spot that works for you where you can hold the guitar comfortably, close to the classical sitting position maximizing left-hand economy of movement and economy of effort while positioning the right-hand effectively to make any special adjustments with the right-hand for thumb stroke related passages.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:28 am

Thank you John.

I do have a unique situation and your advice to find the sweet spot that allows the left and right hand to work most effectively is my goal. I think I definitely over-corrected from the 1st lesson submissions. I'm hoping that I will have found a working solution before the end of D01 lessons. It is helpful that the group including yourself are providing good insight into my difficulties. I doubt I'll ever be perfect but that common ground is out there and I will find it. I will review the 2 videos and try to incorporate them into my efforts.

I very much appreciate all of the help I'm receiving.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Yucel Kamcez

Post by Yucel Kamcez » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am

Hi, all friends,

Some 3rd lesson samples i'd like to share for your comments.
Some pieces "having been scary for me" I'll be sending to the next time. :D
Sincerely

Anonyme : Scarborough fair

Youtube

Anonyme : Ah vous dirai-je maman

Youtube

Anonyme : La bonne aventure

Youtube

Jean-François Delcamp : SI SI RE

Youtube

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:33 pm

Yucel,
Those old fingers seem to be moving along at a good pace. There were a couple of notes my mind said might be errant in Scarborough Fair but I can't say for sure as I have not studied the piece. I am old enough though to recall the tune with some clarity from the AM radio days. The next two seemed right but Si Si Re might be a challenge. All said it is very nice work and you are setting the pace at which I'll watch as you surpass my ability to keep up.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Yucel Kamcez

Post by Yucel Kamcez » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi, James,

Firstly, I appreciate for your kind words.

I also remember Scarborough Fair slightly different, but i' checked it in the partition and i didn't see any differentiation than my playing. On the other hand, some people have strong memory. Sadly, this is not up to me. Absolutely, i must look at the partition while i am playing.

Even so, i'll check both of them (also SISIRE) again.

Thank you very much.
Yucel

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi everyone! Sorry to have been absent for more than a week now. I had a long weekend with my writers' group (which was fabulous, as always) and work's been busy since I returned. I have been able to practice 25 minutes each day, however, so I'm making steady progress toward this lesson's video uploads.

I've watched all your videos so far and am really impressed! There's a lot of good, hard work being done out there. Kudos to those who soldier on past a hesitation or weird plunk or missed note. It helps me be less shy about posting, first of all, and more importantly I think it's a key part of any learning process – without mistakes, there is no progress.

Craig, a special note of thanks to you for your detailed feedback on others' videos. You obviously have more experience than many of us, and I really appreciate the way you share that experience to help us improve. I know it's time consuming. So please know it's valuable, as well.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:37 am

Yucel, way to go. I have no comment though because I didn’t think those songs were part of lesson two. I will have to reread the lesson post.

Grayson, Glad you enjoyed your writers group. I’m looking forward to your videos.

Tales Lucin

Post by Tales Lucin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:38 pm

My submissions:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Angela Carter

Post by Angela Carter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi Tales,
Your scale is sounding pretty good. I did hear a pause before the last note but the timing was good through the rest of it.

Exercise 20 is really about muting the strings with the right hand while playing the opposite note. I didn’t here any muting so you might not have seen the Xs. When you see an X you want to mute the note by resting the finger back on the string.

The other two are the wrong exercises. I would look at the list at the beginning of the post again so you can do the right ones and get credit.

Grayson Bray Morris

Post by Grayson Bray Morris » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Here are my first three videos for this lesson. It will take me another few days on La Tête Bizarde to reach the level of wooden non-perfection I've achieved on the first three :).

EDIT 3 nov 2017: I've added my final video below now.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Last edited by Grayson Bray Morris on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. --Emily Dickinson

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”