D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:45 pm
Ed's left hand is perfect. All fingers are naturally curled and relaxed. I can't see Ted's right hand tho, because of the camera angle. If I can see your right hand pose, maybe we can find the root of the problem. Please change the camera angle Ed.

Tom's left hand is messed up. I often think fingers are like soldiers. Veteran soldiers are disciplined, they only move when the general told them to. They keep cool and won't be affect by their ally's movement. While untrained, rookie soldiers move by themselves. They are stiff, confused and follow other soldiers without permission. Please practice scale without your right hand (no pluck) and left thumb (no hold), use only 4 left hand fingers, move slowly, touch the guitar board gently, fret by fret, string by string. That's what I often did when I my hands are stiff.
Hope that helps. :D
Binh, thanks for the suggestion. I agree my fingers are all over the place. I'll start left hand minimum-movement exercises as you recommended.

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:29 am

Setareh Pishdad wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:35 pm
Lucian, thank you!

Your exercises sound good. With Malagueña I did the same thing the others suggested which was to break it into pieces and work on it in segments and then put it together. It helped although there were several measures that threw me off every time :)
Setareh, you are welcome!
And thanks again :)
The 'break' method seems to work very well, only I lack the focus these days; I'll take a short vacation, flying to Madrid for a week. I'll continue after that.

By the way, Ed and Tom :bravo:
Binh, nice to see you here. Thank you for the suggestions, I can use them, too.

Georgi Chernishov

Post by Georgi Chernishov » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:13 pm

I am so much afraid of being expelled from the forum :( I have been busy and had no time for learning the lesson. I am worried I will lose my abilities gained so hard.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Georgi - last year in my group, some people were completing their lessons 2-3 months beyond the normal monthly timeline, so don't worry about that. My recommendation is to find the same 30-60 minute timeslot that would be available at least 3 days per week, with some weeks preferably more days, and stick to it the best you can. Hang in there.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:03 am

Here's my attempt at Sor's Opus 60, Lesson #4. I discovered the 6-counts per measure recommended for this piece made the tempo far easier to accomplish than what I was trying to do earlier (3/4 count). I still have a ways to go in fixing my left-hand technique, and as you see in this video I'm having a hard time playing the piece and keeping my fingers under control at the same time. I'll get there, but it will take me time to get there. Gets pretty frustrating at times.

Youtube

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:50 pm

Tom - well done. I agree. It is a very difficult piece. I plan to keep it in my daily practice session thru the rest of the year as exercises in counting, right hand movement, left hand movement and right/left co-ordination.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:33 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:50 pm
Tom - well done. I agree. It is a very difficult piece. I plan to keep it in my daily practice session thru the rest of the year as exercises in counting, right hand movement, left hand movement and right/left co-ordination.

Ed
Ed, thanks for the feedback. I read that Sor described lesson #4 as "an exercise simply for finding notes". I agree, I found the wrong ones quite often while trying to learn this piece. :)

Looks like a new batch of lessons was posted today. Off we go!

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:36 pm

@Tom Great job Tom :bravo: , you have music sense, and feel the music, a rare gift.

@ Ed, keep up the good work! Through your videos I can see a spark in your eyes, you play with confidence and enjoy the music. I like that. :casque:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:18 pm

Binh - thank you. Your supportive words are much appreciated.

ED

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:49 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:36 pm
@Tom Great job Tom :bravo: , you have music sense, and feel the music, a rare gift.

@ Ed, keep up the good work! Through your videos I can see a spark in your eyes, you play with confidence and enjoy the music. I like that. :casque:
Thanks Binh. I've also been doing finger exercises as part of my warmup routine, including chrmatic scales and the finger walking exercise I saw you post elsewhere. I've ordered a copy of Pumping Nylon for additional LH work. Hope to fix left hand habits you noted earlier.

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Dear Tom,

Nice job. Nice steady rhythm and tone. Keep up the rest work! Nelson.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Georgi Chernishov wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:13 pm
I am so much afraid of being expelled from the forum :( I have been busy and had no time for learning the lesson. I am worried I will lose my abilities gained so hard.
Georgi
You wont be expelled from the forum, but if you dont post anything after March of 2018 your name will be removed from the student group and you will need to reapply for next year's lessons.
Do what you can, anything is better than nothing and is good experience if you need to restart next year.

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Dear Ed, nice effort. I have the same habit of looking at my LH and RH while playing. I am trying to close my eyes to play. This helps me reply on muscle memory, and it also forces me to really listen to myself. Regards, Nelson.

Setareh Pishdad

Post by Setareh Pishdad » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:12 am

Hello fellow students, here is my attempt at Sor Opus 60. https://youtu.be/iFn-8dsfiI4

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Setareh - well done. I liked your use of alternating fingers on the right hand - something I need to work on daily. You may want to try to bring your left palm closer to the fretboard which would help decrease the bend in your left wrist. Again, well done.

Ed

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”